All Trumpet Players Must Read!!!!as Well As Everyone Else!

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

MusicMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

All Trumpet Players Must Read!!!!as Well As Everyone Else!

Post by MusicMan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:35 pm

I don't know if any of you know who Sergei Nakariakov is, but the is an absolutely INSANE trumpet player. This guy recorded his first album at the age of 13. 13!!!!! He's 25 now, and playing with the Marin Symphony on February 8th and 10th. The concert is a must for all trumpet players, and other musicians would enjoy the extremely high level of this guy. It doesn't come much better then Nakariakov, if any better at all! Go to MarinSymphony.org the check it out.
practice ur horn

TBoneplayer06

Post by TBoneplayer06 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:07 pm

Best Trumpet was Marnard Ferguson

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:48 pm

no no, I'd have to say Miles Davis. Love his swingin jazz work :D

MusicMan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MusicMan » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:31 pm

first of all, Maynard is WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY over-rated for what he does. All he does is play SUPER high and SUPER loud. And he does it good. But what's so techincal about that? He just learned to play really hgh, doesn't impress me. There's these guy's called The Tastee Brother(Tasteebros.com , i think), and all they do is high stuff. CDs full of nothing but high stuff, no solos, just high. Thats all.

Miles Davis, I have to agree he is the best jazz trumpet player. He was totally original and fresh out the box, he was great. I like Roy Hargrove too.

Sergei, he's different. He's a classical player. I just saw his concert on Sunday and he dances circles around Maynard. This guy is clean like you wouldn't believe, so its a whole different ball-game. Maynard is the best HIGH guy, and Sergei is one of the best techincaly, musically, all that other stuff. You guys should really check out his Carmen Fantasy CD, its awesome.
practice ur horn

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:14 pm

Everyone has their own favorite player, you can't argue an opinion.

I like all the above mentioned, but I'd like to throw in another great trumpeter.

Arturo Sandoval

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:28 pm

I totally agree. Yes, Maynard is the king of the stratoshpere but that is not all that makes a great horn player. Take Wynton Marsalis. He's not the one who is trying to prove himself through busting his lip open playing at dog whistle frequencies (although, I'm sure he can). Technical skills of a trumpet player should be taken into consideration, too (Carnival of Venice, anyone?). That is why I pick Arturo over Maynard because the stuff that he plays is a cut above Maynard. He utilizes all of the techniques that make a great trumpet player and his tone down lower is far superior. Plus, he can still hit unimaginably high :D ! So, there you go.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

vmbronco
Rookie
Rookie

Trumpet players

Post by vmbronco » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:56 pm

Ahh miles, i mean, vmtrumpet, stealing my reply, oh well. Yes the winner is Arturo Sandoval for anything other than classical, but if ur going for near-perfect every time classical, Wynton is the guy. Uh all the stuff u guys said i agree with, especially maynard being overrated. uh thats bout it.
"If I had a bazooka, I would blow a hole in the wall between us. If either or both of us survived, I'd ask you 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?'"
- Kurt Vonnegut

Brich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Brich » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 am

One of the great trumpet players of the 20th century was Adolph Herseth, who played first chair with the Chicago Symphony orchestra for about 50 years...ponder that! Being good enough, strong enough and consistent enough to sit at the top of one of the world's finest brass sections for half a century!

Frankfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Frankfan » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:54 am

Music Man--Dude, you need to do some homework.

Maynard's career is more than his absolutely legendary high note ability. Check out his recordings from the FIFTIES AND SIXTIES and you'll hear some amazing improv in addition to the high note stuff.

Maynard is an unbelieveable player to this day, although what he is doing now is not the same as when he started his career, and his playing has lessened in quality with his advanced age. Duh. A lot of people would sell their soul to the devil to be able to play as good as Maynard does right now. The fact that he is playing in the sunset years of his life is a GIFT to us all. No, he is not at the top of his game any more, but thank God we can still go to pay homage to this master brass player. Maynard has done to turn more young musicians on to playing and jazz than anyone else. I'm one of those players.

So before you discount the almost SIXTY years of his career, learn the whole story. Better musicians than you still revere MF for ALL he has done for music, musicians and brass playing.

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:56 am

Frankfan wrote: Check out his recordings from the FIFTIES AND SIXTIES and you'll hear some amazing improv in addition to the high note stuff.
OK...MusicMan and I just agree that he is over rated.

I have no doubt whatsoever that he has inspired countless musicians to be great players! But seriously...go on Maynard's tribute page and on the forum the majority of what they talk about is his chops or how crazy high he can hit, not his improv talent! (http://pub3.ezboard.com/fmaynardferguso ... rdferguson)

All this is just my opinion, and I don't want to try and make converts out of everyone. Arturo and MF are superb players, but my vote goes to Arturo...

-Aristotle

Frankfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Frankfan » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:13 pm

Contest between Arturo and MF now? Well, of course Arturo--what is he, about 45 years old? MF is about 70? Frankly, though, I've heard Arturo sound pretty terrible at times--case in point was him playing at the Oscars a year or two ago--yikes, it sucked. I love him though, and respect his playing.

Contest between MF in his prime and Arturo in his? No question that MF is the winner--I bet if you could ask Arturo the same question, he would be embarrassed that you even asked.

It's in vogue at a certain point in ones brass playing career to diss Maynard. You'll find, though, that if you talk to enough seasoned professional players, they would NEVER talk down Maynard, and in fact look to him as an inspiration.

BTW, I am friends with one of the tasteebros, Scott Englebright. NEWSFLASH: The stuff they do is for a GOOF and they sell it to MAKE MONEY. Think of it as a trumpet comedy album--it's not meant to be taken seriously! Scott is a great player, highly in demand for touring acts, and, also BTW, a big MF fan.

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:03 pm

OK...I really don't want to get into it and I'm not going to...

I was never "dissing" Maynard...just giving my two cents. How many times have you given an "opinion" about a professional athlete of the opposing team which is basically what I was doing...merely stating an opinion...

MF is an inspiration, but Arturo, for me, is a bigger one...just my opinion...
Last edited by VM Trumpet on Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Aristotle

Frankfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Frankfan » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:43 pm

No, what you said was that Maynard was overrated. Saying someone is over rated is dissing them!

Over rated means you don't deserve your reputation.
Over rated means you can't do what everyone says you can do. Maybe Maynard can't do now what he used to do, but thank God for recordings.
Over rated means that those who admire you don't know what they're listening to.

I don't talk about sports figures as I am not a sports fan.

I hope you'll listen to some of the vintage MF stuff and are able to add him to your list of inspirational players. Things from the 50's and 60's are awesome, but one of my favorites is "Live at Jimmie's"--I think from about 1970. LOTS of great players on that one. Bruce Johnstone's bari solos on that one are amazing.

MechAnt
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MechAnt » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:09 pm

Well, I like Miles Davis.
CVHS Rules!!!