Feelings about Hayward?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Feelings about Hayward?

Post by GuarDiva04 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:43 am

I just want to know what people's feelings were about the regional this weekend... shows you liked, scores you disagreed with.... anything?!?
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

Finch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Finch » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:06 am

Great competition this past weekend. All the guards did FABULOUS!! It seemed everyone really stepped it up for finals all the show improved from prelims. The one thing I really noticed was that entertainment value really didn't matter in the end. The obvious fan favorites didn't win. Ind. Open class fan favorites Orion were what, 4 points below BD!! What are the judges thinking!!!!!!! In Scolastic World Rancho B. was a clear favorite, fun show and I think they came in 4th!!!! They may not have been good enough for 1st but 4th! I was surprised. And in Ind. World....well Northern Lights nearly blew the roof off and came in 2nd.....

I don't know I guess all us little people in the stands don't know what good is.... thats up to the Judges and maybe a little politics...

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:35 pm

I think that I might be able to rattle a few brains here. The dispute over who is better: Fantasia, or Northern Lights is growingly intolerable.

Many people are looking at the GE of an entire show and using that as a basis for judgement for all captions, and ultimately the entire show. Here is the deal, Fantasia does have an edge over Northern Lights. Fantasia's show is an entire package. Fantasia has a truely original show that has never been done, and can never be re-done by any guard.

Northern Lights, while entertaining, and amazing at spinning, I think has a pre-packaged show concept. (Road To Perdition is also a movie for those that do not know) Dont get me wrong I love Northern Lights and I have told all my friends that march NL that they are amazing. But, I think Fantasia's overwhelming originality, flawless motion, and beauty of both the writing and the execution is unparalleled by any guard.

Fantasia so far has not been the crowd favorite because the music is slow, and lets face it; not everyone understands what it is that Stanley contributed to the activity. But everytime that I see Fantasia, I see Stanley and his amazing originality, his grace, and most important, I see his passion for the art form.

This post is not designed to hate on anyone, but rather an attempt to help people look every show from all aspects of judging. Sometimes its hard to look past the entertainment and look at the art form by itself.

To all my bros in NL, You are awesome and I love your show.Truely one of my favorite shows of all time. I cant wait to see you in San Diego.
Last edited by split5050 on Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

Finch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Finch » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:51 pm

I was commenting on the overall GE of the shows. I realize that there is a lot more to the judging than the overall effect. Fantasia's show is absolutly amazing, with many layers and effect that are lost in a smaller venue. I was just stating the fact that Northern Lights was clearly the fan favorite.

I would think the the debate over who is better would be flattering, not intolerable. People are talking...that means the shows have affected them, and thats a good thing.

LHScg
New Recruit
New Recruit

i cant decide!

Post by LHScg » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:28 pm

I can't decide i luv both shows jsut as much fantasia makes me cry but norhtern lights jsut makes my jaw drop and i look dumbfounded the entire time!! fantasia leaves you hypmotized and in the end you cant reeally remember work cuz ingraved in ur mind is just "dang that was wow" and northern lights u remember the friggin aesome effects that jsut replay in ur mind and im still trying to figure out what they did because it was soooooo amazing!!!!!!!! i cna't choose cant they both get the gold? i have to agree with independent open i belive that raiders open didnt ge tthe score they deserved i am biased cuz i love a lot of there members but still i think there score was on the low side.

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:46 pm

Sorry let me clarify.... My comments earlier were based on comments I heard at Vegas. Many people were very flustered that Fantasia beat Northern Lights, and decided to be very public with that opnion.

I just really dont like disputes about who is better. I miss understood and thought that a big ordeal over who was better was about to blow up. sorry for the missread.
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:31 pm

Congratulations to Dublin for SA
and James Logan for SW (I heard your show is so awesome, better than last year's too... I missed it, but good job)
No regrets

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:02 pm

What about SO what are your thoughts anyone think that Chino can beat out Logan.......

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:51 pm

I think Chino should beat out Logan...I swear sometimes I think Logan just gets high scores because of their name..

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:04 pm

Logan's amazing
nuff said
No regrets

CgiSmYLiFe_10
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CgiSmYLiFe_10 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:42 pm

does anyone know if logan open is going to wgi?

mvshortstuff
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mvshortstuff » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:46 pm

logan open will not be going acording to list posted on wgi.

handgunsandsecondchances
Rookie
Rookie

Post by handgunsandsecondchances » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:32 pm

wow, why wouldnt logan go??? that stinks, i wanted to see them
I bet a funny thing about driving a car off a cliff is, while you're in midair, you still hit those brakes! Hey, better try the emergency brake!

Woodbridge HS -
"It Spins Us Around" 2003
"Pacific 231" 2004
"Master Of Suspense" 2005

mvshortstuff
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mvshortstuff » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:42 pm

handgunsandsecondchances wrote:wow, why wouldnt logan go??? that stinks, i wanted to see them
Well their world guard is going, but not open, and i have absolutly no idea why. I know that when finals were in dayton and so on they only took their world guard, so maybe its just something that they do, but then again i really dont know so ya.

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckiecg » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:20 pm

well my guess is that if they were to go, and probably make top three, then they'd be bumped up to scholastic world, but they already have a scholastic world guard so maybe that's why they don't go...just a guess.
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.