ANTI SKA aka Death to Ska

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:07 pm

i think that anyone who likes a certain genra of music should be able to express/talk about it as much as they please.

Now, im not especially fond of Ska, but i would never go out and blatenly say "i hate ska it needs to die"

I love indie rock, which is also almost dead, and if someone came saying how horrible indie is, i would have to quarter them.

Lets hear it for the first ammendment!!! :wink: :D

in all, i think this topic is silly and will probably get you...well, beaten to death by large brass instruments :P

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:19 pm

jordanfrausto wrote:this is what happens when u listen to ska
:x :twisted:
Saying something like "Ska is evil" is like saying a certain type of music is evil.

Take rap for instance...I absolutely hate it, but I don't go around call it evil. People listen to what they enjoy, and because of this, no one can say a certain style of music is evil.
Its just not curteous.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:03 pm

I like all types of music.

Saying death to ska is kind of like asking for this thread to get locked. You don't like ska... okay? Why make a post saying it needs to die when there are like four threads in favor of ska?
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:21 pm

whatever
wop isn't exactly a ranting house
No regrets

FourEyes85
Veteran
Veteran

Post by FourEyes85 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:51 am

*slaps own forehead*

Jordan, Jordan, Jordan..just wait for John to speak up....yeesh.

This is the beginning of a very interesting thread. hmmm :(
Signature goes here.

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:23 am

*clears thoart* (im john for all you people who dont know me... and i also love ska)

the only people who i dislike more than the dutch (its a joke.. austin powers? no? ok please noone take any offence to that) are people that talk down on stuff that they dont really know that much about.

jordan goes to my school and hes a sax player as well(im sax sectoin leader).. so im not makeing stuff up here.

i know that the only thing that he has seen of ska is me and my friend messing around in the band room (without music) dancing.. and yes ill agree skanking by yourself with no music does look dumb (if you dont know what skanking is than.. well its how you dance to 3rd wave ska) and thats about it..
he knows that it has a horn section and that it started a really long time ago..

your first question what is ska? thats like asking what is jazz?? what is rock?? what is whatever your favorite style of music is.. its music.. lol.
ska orginated in jamacia as dance music.. the upbeats and such are easy to dance too...
ska also has reallly strong jazz and reggea(i didnt spell that right at all) roots.. and i know oytu like jazz.. so whyy not like ska?

the fact that ska has been around for along time doesnt make it good.. and it also doesnt mean that its pop music.. i think the only time that it might have been considered pop music at all is durring the 60's when it first came (and that was the 60's) besides that its been pritty much "underground".. and aot more people dont like it than like it.. so there is NO WAY that you can even begin to classify ska as pop music.

does real music die? well jordan dont you like jazz?? didnt jazz come from the 20's? guess when ska came out.. THE 60'S MY FRIEND! jazz has been around alot longer than ska..does that mean that is should die? does that mean thats its pop music? last time i checked.. alot more people hate jazz than like it.

i personly think that you lost this one jordan.. and if you knew that we were going to get on you for saying this.. why did you post it in ther first place.. i agree that everyone is entitled to thier own opinon.. but why do you want to start a fight..

oh yea.. and good job messing with my "cheer up emo kid, listen to ska." quote thing.. lol that proved your point...

the bottom line is : you can hate ska.. cuss it out.. say bad things.. make fun of it.. make fun of the people that like it.. but the fact of the matter is.. ITS NOT GOING ANYWHERE!! new ska bands are comeing up all the time.... the people in the scence really love the music and wont let it go away.. becuase there is no need for it to go away.. and its just good music..

(by the way there are three "waves" of ska..
First is fromt he 60s bands like : The Skatalites, Hepcat, The Debonaires

Second or 2 Tone is european ska : i really dont know many bands but i do know that is happened a couple of years after first wave "died out" of the us

Third, this is waht you hear alot today.. it took the basic ska things like a horn sectoin.. upbeats and such and put it to a faster paced "punk" rythem section third wave bands are : Catch 22, The Planet Smashers, Aqua Bats.. such like that)

Thanks for listen to the truth of ska.. lol the best way to get an opinion about ska is to listen to iit and research/study it.. good stuff (im sure i left out alot.. im really tired and frustrated)

(HOSHWA, LONEMELLO, BASSHATER I KNOW YOUR GOING TO BACK ME UP ON THIS.. and please list good 2 tone bands.. cool = )
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:35 am

AND!! this was probly a really bad place to post an ANTI ska thread.... we are all bando's... we like ska.. and jazz and such...
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:17 am

i totaly agree with TMR, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to post about it, and you didn't even know the first thing about it! i give all music a chance before disliking it,maybe you should to before you say something that someone will totally not like and it will get you in trouble. just a thought. 8-)
Nothing is impossible with God!

Hoshwa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hoshwa » Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:44 am

um.
i have always loved have closed minded people are. it makes me feel really happy inside.
i dunno if this kid is just joking around. and i hope is is, cause this is really stupid.
first, just to clarify some things, hepcat and the debs aren't first wave bands like the skatalites, but they play traditional ska LIKE the skatalites did. they are still 3rd wave bands... but play trad.
um 2 tone. the bodysnatchers. madness. slecter.
and also. ska does have big jazz influence. but ska evolved into rocksteady and reggae. it doesn't have a reggae influence.
=]

i don't really know what to say here, but i have respect for all musical styles. i love jazz. and if you love jazz, then you might like the traditional side of ska. if you dont then that's fine too.
but just don't put other people down. for the music they listen to. just think about how stupid that is.
and i hope your just kidding cause i'd really feel sorry for you if you aren't.