Weak spots

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

shortysmalls6

Weak spots

Post by shortysmalls6 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:53 pm

What weak spot do you think you or your guard have?

Sorry, this topic never got covered and I think it would just be interesting..
Want my flagchild-ness back!

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:12 pm

i think our weakest spot is the different experiance levels of the members.....while some of us have been spinning for 6 or 7 years already, we also have newbies to guard or freshmen with only one or two years behind them. It seems that the newbies or freshmen NEVER put more effort then it takes to just be there in class, low performance, not fully doing the work...etc. Its soo frustrating to deal with :shock:
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".

riflebaby13
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by riflebaby13 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:47 am

It seems to me that in my guard most of the upperclassmen actually go home a practice cuz we want to get good and we try and encourage the freshman to go home and practice but they never do and it is noticable. I feel like those who are practicing are being dragged down by those who dont spend the extra time practicing.

ok so i dont know if that made sense to anyone else, but it did to me... :wink:

iminguard
Rookie
Rookie

Post by iminguard » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:13 pm

Ditto w/ my guard ,we have like majority underclassmen and they dont understand that even if you go home practice for 20 minutes it will improve your performance.
Breath in the music Breath out your performance.....

guardee102

Post by guardee102 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:40 pm

i second that!

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:38 pm

I think the weakest spot our guard has is that not everyone cares to be at practice and perform the best of their ability. We are also very talkative at rehersals, which is unacceptable.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:17 pm

We have defiancy issues. Our underclassmen have issues with taking corrections and not taking them personally and giving attitude. I know I've given attitude to my captains and instructors and I've realized this isn't going to help so I'm trying to be very very VERY good. :D But some of our freshman don't get it. We'd correct a flexed foot and they'd take it like I'd said "You're ugly and yo' mama dresses you funny" (I did say this at some other time :D ) but still..... they need to not take it so personally!!!!

Alot of them practice though, they practice alot... but some of them don't.. practicing is everybody's issue :roll:
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

RifleBoi85

Post by RifleBoi85 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:26 pm

My guard has a hard time performing. Our show contains a lot of acting. It's extremely hard to think of the work, where you are going AND what your character is feeling throughout the show. Which is what I have to do. I'm used to just smiling or having a straight face. I'm not used to having such a strong emphasis on performing :cry: . Oh well, I'll live :lol: .
Typical color guard phrases:
1) Is my finger supposed to bend like that?
2) Stupid sabres never landing in my hands!!
3) Where'd that bruise come from?
5) POINT YOUR TOES!!

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:26 pm

wow 6 or 7 years

that's quite a lot of years

all my guard friends say there's so much pressure, especially on world guard... i guess people who can't handle it are the weakness
No regrets