Free Hands

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

SabreKnight
New Recruit
New Recruit

Free Hands

Post by SabreKnight » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:02 am

What groups do you think have good free hands (the hand underneath a toss), include how uniform/clean the free hands are person to person and/or the type of free hand, do u think its cool, easy, or u just dont get it.
Its all about performace

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

free hands

Post by RifleLova » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:40 pm

i love it when guards have different free hands under their tosses. it makes the toss more interesting and even better when all guardees look the same and all have good hands! this year in my show it's the most variety of free hands we've ever had. i can't think of a guard right now w/ good free hands right now though...
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckiecg » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:57 pm

i hate free hands having to be the same. it's natural instinct to bring up your right hand then catch. you're told constantly not to by instructors, but truth be told, they do it to, though on a lesser scale...anyways, i don't usually watch free hands, but i think Logan's are probably pretty good because their technique is out of this world!
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:19 pm

luckiecg wrote: it's natural instinct to bring up your right hand then catch. you're told constantly not to by instructors, but truth be told, they do it to, though on a lesser scale...
wow, thats wierd. at my school, the natural position of the free hand on a right handed toss is with the right hand up and the left hand down at your side. were you talking about rifle tosses?

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:36 pm

guardee101 wrote:
luckiecg wrote: its natural instinct to bring up your right hand then catch. You’re told constantly not to by instructors, but truth be told, they do it to, though on a lesser scale...
Wow, that’s weird. At my school, the natural position of the free hand on a right handed toss is with the right hand up and the left hand down at your side. Were you talking about rifle tosses?
But even with rifle tosses the general free hand is right hand down against your leg and left hand up, at least on left tosses, which are the more common ones. If you do a right rifle toss then it is left against leg and right hand up. I’m confused too. What are you talking about luckiecg?
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

Madame_Spooky
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Madame_Spooky » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:45 pm

RifleDiva wrote:
guardee101 wrote:
luckiecg wrote: its natural instinct to bring up your right hand then catch. You’re told constantly not to by instructors, but truth be told, they do it to, though on a lesser scale...
Wow, that’s weird. At my school, the natural position of the free hand on a right handed toss is with the right hand up and the left hand down at your side. Were you talking about rifle tosses?
But even with rifle tosses the general free hand is right hand down against your leg and left hand up, at least on left tosses, which are the more common ones. If you do a right rifle toss then it is left against leg and right hand up. I’m confused too. What are you talking about luckiecg?
I belive that what she means by not having the right hand as a free hand is this: at many schools, guards are taught that free hands are 'both hands down.' Basically, most guards either have free hands in this style: 'both hands down' or 'tossing hand up other hand down at your side.' I personally love the special free hands that some guards do, like clasping their hands above their head (for a weapon) or tossing with one hand on the other arm's elbow and that arm pointing up straight -- it looks a bit like like the letter d.. or p... or 4... or 9... or something like that, lol ;)

~Jessi
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:11 am

Ok, that makes sense. At my school we do the one hand down and one hand up thing on most of our tosses. But we try to be creative and mix things up a bit and give a little variety to our free hands in our show. one freehand that I like but that we tend to overuse is once you release your rifle your left hand is still in the air and then you bring your right hand up to meet your left hand and make a big "o". but another one I like is you release your rifle, leave your left hand up then switch hands and stick your right arm up. It looks cool!
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

split5050
Rookie
Rookie

Post by split5050 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:20 am

yea i said hey in your other thred.. lol but we gotta get those pictures we took yesterday and get them up here.. = )
Derrick Tousley
Rancho Cuc. H.S. (01-03)
SCV 03, 04, 07
Corona 06