Students writing music...

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

phlpngeek04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Students writing music...

Post by phlpngeek04 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:52 pm

i have a friend that writes music for our choir and is still working on a song for our wind ensemble. to me, this is amazing since he is only a senior in high school. :? i was wondering if anyone has a friend or knows someone who writes their own music. (ie. people who are still in high school)
Cpl Fontilara
USMC
Currently at MCAS Miramar, San Diego, CA

VM Trumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by VM Trumpet » Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:54 am

I have a friend who is planning on writing a piece over summer vacation and he's only a FRESHMAN! He's really caught on quick to all of types of theory and I think he'll be able to pull it off. Plus, his guitar class is really accelerating him forward on chord changes and minor stuff to give his song that cool effect 8-) . It won't be a full emsemble piece but maybe something for a brass choir. So, yeah...
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
Trumpet Section Leader: '03 - '07

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit."
-Aristotle

BariSx_G
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BariSx_G » Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:23 pm

I've only written a jazz solo for my own purposes. During the summer, I hope to write pep tunes for our band because they weren't written for us and they were so chaotic last season.

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altohack » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:16 pm

i kno this guy who as a seventh grader wrote a song for a whole band...
No regrets

drummerfromtroy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drummerfromtroy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:41 pm

in my band, the Jackson Sextet, we write some of our own stuff. in addition to playing the jazz standards, we (mainly our pianist) write our own material. it takes work, but its very fun to do!!
Center Snare '03-'04
Percussion Captain 2001-2004

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:11 pm

i never thought about writing music... i dont think anyone in our band does
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:56 pm

Im a sophmore and ive been arranging stuff for our brass line... right now i just finished salvation is created (i know its been over played) and i just started arranging adagio for strings for brass choir
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:18 pm

cool adagio for strings for brass? i think theres a version out done by Canadian or Empire Brass I don't remember...

good luck to you on that project.. I'm tempted in doing a mallet ensemble arrangement of it... man... imagine all the rolls hehe....
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

copycat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by copycat » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:30 pm

my friend, an 8th grader, wrote a piece and they played it in a concert by the high school wind ensemble.......
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:59 pm

I write a lot of music, and I'm going into my junior year of high school. I don't think we will ever play it though.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

phlpngeek04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by phlpngeek04 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:43 pm

well i just came back from my europe trip that lasted about 2 1/2 weeks and while i was there, my friend, matt, wrote another song that was premiered in Harlescott, England in the Church of the Holy Spirit. that was awesome to hear. i hope we got that on tape.
Cpl Fontilara
USMC
Currently at MCAS Miramar, San Diego, CA

PunkitupSkaStyle
New Recruit
New Recruit

ok...

Post by PunkitupSkaStyle » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:00 pm

I started writing music back in summer of my eigth grade year, and it sounded all right at first, but now I love writing music, and I want to write something for my band to play, but yeah, I doubt my and director would let us, plus, I am not used to writing music that does not have strings, voice, and piano as the main element, I must say, that is one of my favorite formats to write in, though I have written songs for wind ensembles, but they are far too advanced for my band to play, but someday my music will be played somewhere, maybe I should just spring it on mmy director, like,"SURPRISE!" lol

Casey
Jhonny Quest thinks we're sellouts...

Do you think it's strange that there's a way of how you look and how you act and how you think? Pretend they're not the same as you.

punkbandgurl127
Rookie
Rookie

Post by punkbandgurl127 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:30 pm

Well i think that students who write music are really talented like Casey. Casey's music is crazy i have tried playing it and man i get lost. Casey is good at that.

Casey you should write a song for our band that would be great :lol:

Euphoniums Rule!!!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Euphoniums Rule!!! » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:18 pm

Writing music can be really fun if the one who's writing it is good at it. If what they write is great then there can't be any arguement that that person has talent in writing music. On the other hand, when you're judging whether someone's piece of music is "great" you should have to consider everyone that has ever written music because although one person was really good at writing music in high school compared to someone else it could be crap. I've tried writing music before and I know it wasn't the best but what was more important to me was that I was expressing the feelings I had about music with music, if you get what I'm trying to say.
Hi! I'm glad to have met you!