Should Blue Devils Open win?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Mariah Canary

Should Blue Devils Open win?

Post by Mariah Canary » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:51 am

First of all, I want to say that I think BD open has a great show and that the performers in the program are awesome. However, I’m not so sure they are the best guard in their local circuit this year. I do not think they are bad by any means, but it is my opinion that this year Orion is way better. Orion has a great variety of effects and the members perform the hell out of the show. I also notice that Orion has harder work when the guard is doing ensemble moments. BD does have hard work, but most of the time it is performed by only one performer and 9 times out of 10 it is the solo boy. I really don’t see why they are winning. I think Orion’s show is very original with a great soundtrack. BD’s show is great as well, but we’ve seen the approach and soundtrack from Pride way back in 1998. Again, they are good, just not the best.
I’ve also heard rumors that Orion’s members all had to start taking Karate lessons in order to be in the show. I don’t know if that’s true, but I would be surprised if it wasn’t. They do some really cool things that I know I’ve never seen. I don’t know why they aren’t getting more credit for the great show they have. Am I missing something?
"You don't have a choice!"

enjoyit

??

Post by enjoyit » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:38 am

i dont know where you heard all of this but they they did not have to take karate classes. They hardly do karate in their show!! Mabey a couple of moves. And their work content is not harder. It is work that looks cool and effective, but isnt hard to do!! :wink:

LibertyPress
Rookie
Rookie

Re: ??

Post by LibertyPress » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:11 pm

enjoyit wrote:i dont know where you heard all of this but they they did not have to take karate classes. They hardly do karate in their show!! Mabey a couple of moves. And their work content is not harder. It is work that looks cool and effective, but isnt hard to do!! :wink:

No....

We did not have to take any karate classes whatsoever. Our moves were inspired by actual Tae Kwon Do moves. It gives a great affect.

And our work may not be world-class, super challenging, wow your brains out hard, but it works. It gives the right effect, when you need it, where you need it. I think it's consistant with the capability of the WHOLE team... nothing too easy, nothing to hard for anyone. And I think that that consistancy is what makes this show work well for Orion.
One mo again.

Mariah Canary

Post by Mariah Canary » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:18 pm

I’m sorry, but I don’t agree. I think Orion’s work is harder. I see them doing a variety of things that I don’t see BD doing. For example, Orion moves under their tosses. I see them do tosses on the move and layer movement under tosses. They also catch in many different ways. I don’t see that from Blue Devils. However, BD does do some very effective body rolls with the equipment. Orion doesn’t have anything like that in their show, but most of the time it is only one performer doing these things in BD’s show.

How do you know that Orion doesn’t take Karate? I had heard that they did.

enjoyit

Post by enjoyit » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:23 pm

they dont take classes!!! where did you here that??
and, the people that do those intricate tosses are like three people!!!!! and i think that other guards have harder work, like BD, Raiders, andeven some A guards. Orion has a flashy show, with flashy music and booty shaking moves, thats all i see!!!!

Finch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Finch » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:07 pm

While Orions work may not be the most difficult out there I would love to see the A guard that has more difficult work!!!

Mariah Canary

Post by Mariah Canary » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:13 pm

Wow! I didn't mean to upset you. I was just sharing my opinion. It’s cool that you don’t like their show, but you don’t have to get upset because I do. I was only asking if they did take Karate because I had heard that they were learning karate for the show. I didn’t know that would upset anyone. I just thought someone out there would know. Do you know they don’t lean karate for a fact? If so, how do you know? These are just questions. They aren’t meant to upset anyone. As for thinking the show is flashy… I think you aren’t giving them enough credit. It’s obvious you don’t like them for some reason, but saying things like “Orion has a flashy show, with flashy music and booty shaking moves, that’s all I see!!!!” is putting them down without giving a good reason as to WHY you think they aren’t all that. I personally like shows that I find entertaining and I think Orion has a very entertaining show. (As does BD.) I hope it’s clear that I DO think BD is a great guard and I look for both Blue Devils and Orion to be in WGI Open Class finals this year. :D

Arcee

Post by Arcee » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:22 pm

Orion was not forced to take Karate in order to be in the guard, but yes they are being trained in martial arts. I am friends with the staff at Orion and used to be in guard the myself. I know that one of the staff members (Jason) is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and he teaches the performers all of the martial arts in the show. He used to teach us things even before this year. I know for a fact it is more then just “a couple of moves” because I’ve asked about it and I’ve done it myself. It was even in our show last year, but that was definitely just “a couple of moves”. I’m sure people don’t catch everything they are doing, but there’s a lot there. I think it’s a great idea and I can’t wait to see it again. I’m so mad I didn’t march Orion this year! :x

wongclo02

Post by wongclo02 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:13 pm

I would bet my money Orion places higher over Blue Devils on a National judging panel. Not because their work claims to be easy by some, or because heir show seems flashy either. But because their program is designed very well. A show can't always be about doing hard stuff. If that was the case, then I would seem to remember them doing better with their grid patternend floor show from last year. And from the results of last year at WGI, Orion wasn't even in finals if I recall. I think they did their homework from last year & it's nice to see Orion giving Blue Devils a challenge for the top spot. It makes both teams a challenge in fact.

Linda Wong

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:02 pm

wow guys. everyone can have different opinions and different tastes in shows. Good luck to both guards because they are both great! The judges know what they are doing and i am sure that they will continue to judge fairly. Anyway, i am sure that both work VERY hard and most of you do not have the right to put a guard down because you like another more.

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:11 pm

Wow folks. So not cool. Save it for PM, or better yet - let the judges decide who is better of the two. Okay? SUPER. :x
World Of Pageantry Champion!