Foothill high school's 'Bolero' show = San Jose Raiders?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

dancingrl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by dancingrl » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:08 pm

luckiecg Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it could also be possible that Foothill's staff includes someone that marched that year and has a right to do this

Ok even if it was someone who was on the guard that doesn't give them any right to take the show...I read somewhere ( I forget where sorry) that you can copy-right your work or show. If you don't copy-right it and someone takes the whole show or just the concept ideas or work you can't do anything about it.

I mean work is going to be similiar there are only so many things you can do with a flag and if you see something cool, your gonna try to remember it to use it sometime.

I think if you have a real problem with their show that you should bring it up to the judges and let them deal with it. I'm sure its not helping Foothill's guard perform their show when there are so many people saying that it isn't there show.
Favorite phrases...
"Is the guard ready?"
"You may now take the floor in competition!"

OHH I LOVE ME SOME DRUMMERS!!!

georgefan22
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by georgefan22 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:50 pm

It is personally one of my favorite shows in the whole wide world I have said for a while that I would love to do something similar if it is indeed a copy at least they chose a good show to "copy." Yea woo hoo all sabre all the time

janets_b00b
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Foothill high school's 'Bolero' show = San Jose Raiders?

Post by janets_b00b » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:59 pm

I saw Foothill HS (Pleasanton, CA) for the first time this year this past week at Granada HS (NCBA). First off, Foothill HS has an amazing group of performers this year. Their music stopped about a minute into their show, and they just kept going for another 64 counts before the judges stopped them and let them reset. Very professional group overall, and probably one of my favorite NCBA shows for the year.

As for Foothill HS being a copy of San Jose Raiders '93, you are wrong, as the previous posts clearly support that any similarities end with Foothill simply using the same choice of music. Raiders' show, again, utilized only saber for their 6 1/2 minute show. Foothill on the other hand, utilized all three pieces of equipment in their 4 minute show. If you're referring to some of the concepts that are similar (like the couple moves or drill), the Bolero is an actual dance and style of music that originated in Puerto Rico which revolves around a tango-type dance between a couple, and eventually a series of couples.

But, riflechick87, now that you've encouraged everybody to bust out with their Fan's Fifteen Tapes, you would have probably been observant to know that South San Francisco HS (South San Francisco, CA) is using Pomona HS (Arvada, CO) '94 show. South San Francisco HS competes in the NCBA Intermediate class. Why you haven't chosen to bring this up is curious to me.

But in defense of South San Francisco HS, the only similarity between them and Pomona's is the use of Maya Angelou's "On the pulse of Morning". Also keep in mind Pomona had a full guard of 30, and South San Francisco only has 5 performers (and the smallest guard I've seen all season). As much as I've worn my Fan's Favorite tape out, South San Francisco also presented their own original interpretation with no knock off or copy of the "original" show, and it was really good. Really nice equipment book with some strong moments. It's really sad this show is scoring/placing as it is, but what can you say, it's apparent the NCBA circuit is not ready to make that "artistic" leap forward and catch up to what's going on in the real circuit both in CCGC and on the national level of WGI. With all that is going on in the world right now, Maya's poem and South San Francisco's show could not be more appropriate.
South San Francisco probably has one of the most memorable shows in this circuit this year, along with Foothill and McQueen (Reno, NV).

Anyway, I'll end this here, but I just wanted to make sure riflechick87 that I folded your accussation about Foothill HS like a cheap tent. Buh-bye.

riflechick87 wrote:Hey, has anyone seen Foothill high school's Bolero winterguard show at an NCBA competition?

I don't know if anyone else would know this, but their show is pretty much a copy of San Jose Raiders World Guard 1993 when they did Bolero.

I didn't believe it at first, but my friend showed me a Fans Favorite WGI championship tape, and it's true. Their drill is the same and even some equipment work is similar. you can buy the tape if you want to see for yourself. http://store.yahoo.com/wgishop/20.html

I mean, some things are gonna be similar if you do the same music - but there are too many things that are EXACTLY the same. hmmmm

gllacer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by gllacer » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:33 pm

I wouldn't normally respond to this, but considering the writer of the previous message so flippantly dismissed the post of someone else, as if her remarks somehow were more knowledgable or truthful, I'd like to point out that the bolero did not originate in Puerto Rico, it originated in Cuba during the 19th century via the Cadiz region of Spain, but is especially known for its Afro-Cuban extraction. True, it is historically popular in Puerto Rico, but was imported. A fair and important distinction to make, especially if you are inclined to flame someone else.

janets_b00b
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by janets_b00b » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:18 pm

Okay - I stand corrected in the history of the bolero. But the point I was making is that both Raiders and Foothill both used the dance as inspiration, and so it wouldn't be some "coincidence" that the movements were alike.

gllacer wrote:I wouldn't normally respond to this, but considering the writer of the previous message so flippantly dismissed the post of someone else, as if her remarks somehow were more knowledgable or truthful, I'd like to point out that the bolero did not originate in Puerto Rico, it originated in Cuba during the 19th century via the Cadiz region of Spain, but is especially known for its Afro-Cuban extraction. True, it is historically popular in Puerto Rico, but was imported. A fair and important distinction to make, especially if you are inclined to flame someone else.