Advice..tips..etc, etc.

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

SuiKeN

Advice..tips..etc, etc.

Post by SuiKeN » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:26 pm

hey hey..

well yeah im still kind of new to the drum line world...this is my first year in the NCBA. Yup, it's a lot of fun - the socilizing part is. Competing is cool..but what I really want to do is meet new people - and the fact that we travel to different schools with a lot of other kids we don't know is pretty fun. But yeah, I don't forget about the drum line competing and things like that. im in PIT this year..playing on the marimba for my schools first two songs and the rest in im auxillary. im new to music..so i entered the schools drum line with no experience in music at all - but they taught me good. i only have 3 more years of this left - and i want to experience a lot of things. i want to learn something new over the summer - which would be a battery instrument, probably. I kinda want to get opinions from everyone else before i start learning - as to what kind of battery instrument i should start to learn.

thanks..
People, you need to keep me occupied. Talk to me on AIM: CRIMSONFURYY

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:46 pm

Go buy yourself a real feel drum pad..... greatest practice pad a drumm,er could own... next... get some sticks... and practice your rudiments. for a copy of some rudiments.. ask your captain or your band director or your instructor... if you have one. practice is EVERYTHING. as for what you should try out for... usually battery members start out on bass.... which IS a fun instrument... for about a year that is... and in moving to another instrument... practice practice practice!
you say your in the ncba... what school are you from?
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

SuiKeN

Post by SuiKeN » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:54 pm

bass isnt all that hard to learn is it ? what do you think the difficulty level is for each instrument ? yeah more than a couple of battery people told me to for bass.

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:12 pm

yah i remeber when i was a freshman i promised myself i would memoriez this page http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html ....
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:14 pm

Every instrument is hard to learn if you want to be good at it. Really... being a bass drummer is all about power, and rhythms. you gotta be able to play any rhythm thrown your way...well.. maybe not any...

SuiKeN

Post by SuiKeN » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:03 pm

i might as well for bass - looks like a lot of fun - but the counting and spliting looks intimidating to me for someone who has not been in drum line for so long let alone the music world. so i hear if your an odd number you get most downbeats and even number u get upbeats ?

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:22 pm

Oh dude... thats not entirley true. maybe with a few lines... but bass is mostly split up equally. And yeah dude... its fun, and when your playing it... the runs dont seem intimidating... you actually have a blast while playing them.... have fun!

SuiKeN

Post by SuiKeN » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:51 pm

yeah bass looks a lot of fun when the bass line do a bunch of poses and just like play out, lol. why do most beginning battery members go for bass anyway ?

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:18 am

usually the more experienced battery members are better than the base players... thus, they get the snare and tenor parts cause they can play them. Usually you dont move up to a harder instrument unless you practice practice practice

lildrummergirl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lildrummergirl » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:52 pm

I don't know about you guys, but our instructors had auditions (kinda-sorta) to place us on the battary. As for diffuculty, each insturment is difficult in its own way. Snare isn't necessarily harder than bass, it's just different. same thing w/ tenors

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:19 pm

SuiKeN wrote:i might as well for bass - looks like a lot of fun - but the counting and spliting looks intimidating to me for someone who has not been in drum line for so long let alone the music world. so i hear if your an odd number you get most downbeats and even number u get upbeats ?
Bass rulez when you get into it. Everyone wants to play bass even though they try for snare or tenors. Just face it. Gotta be cool to be in the bass line. Gotta be tough too.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:40 pm

Eh.... maybe the different drums might have different parts.... but are the juniors and seniors really gonna give up their drum so a freshman can play snare or tenors? NO WAY. You need to have technique and knowledge of the line before you jump right to those. Im not saying its the same for every line... but mostlythe better drummers are usually on tenors and snare.... and freshman (hopefully) arent better than the veterans... if i may call it that... sure... some lines audition... but even still... a freshman isnt going to make it into a snare line of experienced juniors and seniors who have technique and some chops under their belt.... make any sense? this post is kinda long so i dont intend on re-reading it....

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:00 pm

Spyder wrote:Eh.... maybe the different drums might have different parts.... but are the juniors and seniors really gonna give up their drum so a freshman can play snare or tenors? NO WAY. You need to have technique and knowledge of the line before you jump right to those. Im not saying its the same for every line... but mostlythe better drummers are usually on tenors and snare.... and freshman (hopefully) arent better than the veterans... if i may call it that... sure... some lines audition... but even still... a freshman isnt going to make it into a snare line of experienced juniors and seniors who have technique and some chops under their belt.... make any sense? this post is kinda long so i dont intend on re-reading it....
Yeah your right dude. Still Bass rules all!!!!! :mrgreen:
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran