Feeder Schools

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Feeder Schools

Post by MinCook » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:21 pm

Junior High bands and drumlines have kept our school alive, without them we wouldn't be as far off as we are... I was wondering How Many Feeder Junior highs does your High school have? Westminster has 3 junior Highs bands and 2 junior high drumlines.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:49 pm

My school has at least 3. We have 2 drumlines from 3 of those. They definately help but the incoming 8th graders get cocky. To all you 8th graders remember that us high school and up people have probably had more experience then you can imagine so try to treat us with respect. Back to the topic now. So, Because the Feeder Schools we get incoming drummers who at least know how to hold a drum stick so thats always good.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:52 pm

We have 3 Jr.High, but we rairly get many percussion. Most of our line is band students who also do drum line, or who switch entirely into the Line.

I think its better than getting frosh, cuz they're hard to handle *death to scott*

BariSx_G
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BariSx_G » Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:06 pm

Our school has 3 feeder schools. The majority of the freshmen in 2 of those schools go to our rival school because they favor them more (I wonder why). All the freshies from the other school come to our school because the jr. high and the high school are in the same friggin' campus. Hopefully they'll take down the jr. high soon and expand our high school.

weezer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by weezer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:49 pm

My school has 3 middle school's that feed into us. None of them have winter drumlines, but they all have pretty good marching bands.
So this dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:39 pm

wow middle school marching band... one of our feeder schools does a parade once a year, but you can hardly call it a marching band. We have an indoor middle school line, Warner, its there first year this year. The otehr two middle schools do concert band. Some of the kids go to huntington beach HS, and some go to Marina High school, but most of them go to Westminster.
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:33 pm

all three of my feeder schools do parade.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Do it for the Troj"

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:05 am

we have a few feeder jr high schools, but we rarely get any1 for percussion maybe like 4 or 5 a yr, and none of the jr high's have a drumline which is a bust because every year we have to start with the basics and so it holds us back a little.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:06 pm

TMR Quint Kid wrote:we have a few feeder jr high schools, but we rarely get any1 for percussion maybe like 4 or 5 a yr, and none of the jr high's have a drumline which is a bust because every year we have to start with the basics and so it holds us back a little.
Our techs thought about this problem so we have eighth graders in WDL this season. It's to help prepare them for next year but all of them are in pit. They had to try out so while they're in pit they just work on drum stuff.

We have I think three feeder schools. Most band kids come from one school though.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:18 pm

flagchild06 wrote:
TMR Quint Kid wrote:we have a few feeder jr high schools, but we rarely get any1 for percussion maybe like 4 or 5 a yr, and none of the jr high's have a drumline which is a bust because every year we have to start with the basics and so it holds us back a little.
Our techs thought about this problem so we have eighth graders in WDL this season. It's to help prepare them for next year but all of them are in pit. They had to try out so while they're in pit they just work on drum stuff.

We have I think three feeder schools. Most band kids come from one school though.
Im curious whats a WDL? Thats what most bands do is "throw" the freshmen in pit. I would also think about starting earlier than usual so u can start the freshmen up and start basics so that by band camp there smoking freshmen. 8-)
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Do it for the Troj"

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:39 pm

we have 1

which is lame

3000 kids at out skool

100 kids in band and pagaentrty

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:40 pm

tetzlaffdrummer wrote:
flagchild06 wrote:

Im curious whats a WDL? Thats what most bands do is "throw" the freshmen in pit. I would also think about starting earlier than usual so u can start the freshmen up and start basics so that by band camp there smoking freshmen. 8-)
WDL = winter drumline

I know the techs and drummers are working with them on stuff, but right now they just have pit parts. Hopefully they'll be ready next year.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:09 pm

After i became a freshman, all the jr highs really stopped giving us drummers... most of our cymbal and bass line were or are currently band members. and whats even worse... next year (after im gone) the line was gonna get a few good drummers... one of the drummers the line was gonna get had an incident.... and is in custody... yea... anyway... its the next year's senior's problem! :P
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:28 pm

Spyder wrote:After i became a freshman, all the jr highs really stopped giving us drummers... most of our cymbal and bass line were or are currently band members. and whats even worse... next year (after im gone) the line was gonna get a few good drummers... one of the drummers the line was gonna get had an incident.... and is in custody... yea... anyway... its the next year's senior's problem! :P
That sucks dude. :shock:
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Do it for the Troj"

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:29 pm

k thanks Flagchild. Kind of feel embarassed to ask that but, my line doesn't do Winter Drumline so i guess it makes sense that i wouldn't know that. :wink:
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Do it for the Troj"