Reviews for show?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Finch
New Recruit
New Recruit

Reviews for show?

Post by Finch » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:41 am

I have noticed that during Marching Season, there are people (Phantom Phan) that go to the shows, and then give reviews. I loved reading those after a competition. Since I am pretty new to this, it is great to get an educated opinion other than from the judges.

Does anyone do that for Winterguard?? Because I would really love to hear what was thought of the Orion Show this past weekend. Like I said, I don't have a trained eye. But from what I saw, and the reaction from the crowd... there was some controversy over the open class placements in that show. Maybe it was just the home crowd, but I don't think many people there agreed with the judges.

What are some educated opinions out there?? Did I miss something? :?

luckiecg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by luckiecg » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:36 pm

But from what I saw, and the reaction from the crowd... there was some controversy over the open class placements in that show. Maybe it was just the home crowd, but I don't think many people there agreed with the judges.
in the world of color guard, we sometimes simply call this type of thing "politics"
You can always do it...so just shut up and do it.

Vaddpopxsquirrel
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Vaddpopxsquirrel » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:06 pm

im definitely not a judge or have any training besides jus being in guard but i was at the orion show n i have a few comments..

amador valley "a" - good show, clean, nice work, only thing was that the music kinda hurt my ears

Hogan - i really like their show, its cute, but not too cheesy.i think they're on the right track.

BD "A" and Raiders "A" were both cute as ever, those girls are awesome performers.

Oak Grove & Fairfield are my top scholastic open picks right now, i like fairfield's concept, its fun.

Moreau was good too, you can tell those girls are in good shape. and its amazing to see them do so well with only flag n movement.

BD- haha nice show...i was in the back of the stands and i could still smell the baby powder flying up from the floor.

Orion- love the kill bill show, and its pretty complete considering how early in the season is.

raiders- inspiring, they'vet so much attitude in every movement. every step n move has a purpose and its very visible. and they always got the sharpest sabre work

congrats to all

crack it
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by crack it » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:47 pm

sorry, just a quick question: for the opinion of the raiders guard, is it world, or open, if you saw both, i would like to know how u liked them, i havent seen the complete open show, but i know its great, and i LOVE the world guards show. It's so energetic and exciting. I was watching it and i cut my finger when i was clenching my fist because i was so excited. A little weird, but oh well
ya

GeorgeFan56

Post by GeorgeFan56 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:35 pm

i think Raiders Open is GRRRREAT!!! :wink:

classicflag

Post by classicflag » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:09 pm

(Quote)raiders- inspiring, they'vet so much attitude in every movement. every step n move has a purpose and its very visible. and they always got the sharpest sabre work---yeah i would like to know if you meant their open guard :? or the world guard :wink:
:)

enjoyit

Post by enjoyit » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:22 pm

i would want to know too! not saying anything, but the open guardfor Radiers is not that amazing...if you know what i mean

yellow
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by yellow » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:41 am

i would want to know too! not saying anything, but the open guardfor Radiers is not that amazing...if you know what i mean
Hi enjoyit,

Congratulations on your first post!! Here's mine:

I don't know what you mean by saying the raider open guard is not amazing, but I just need to say that I think my guard is very amazing. I think anyone can see that all of the IO guards in our circuit have taken some young members, and all 3 guards have matured those kids into absolutley AMAZING performers. A lot of the new faces in this class were in a regional a guard the year before. In fact, some are still in junior high. That's a pretty AMAZING jump if you ask me. Now, I'll admit, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of amazing. Maybe you don't like our show, or maybe there is some other issue you have with our guard that keeps us from being amazing. I'm not sure, because you just decided to put us down in a very passive-aggressive fashion instead of list your complaints. I'd write more to defend my guard, but I don't see any complaints other than we're not amazing. So I'm sorry my first post in a forum meant to praise and promote the activity was to defend my guard from such a silly comment. Maybe soon I'll post about something worthwhile,

if you know what I mean....

7Vox2

Post by 7Vox2 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:40 pm

PHENOMENAL is what best comes to mind when describing NORTHERN LIGHTS. NL Show was just so different from the others and kept you on the edge of your seat the whole time. Fantasia has a very good show as well, Northern Lights just really stood out on their own. The Crowd favorite from what I could tell was definitely Northern Lights at the RCC Show over the weekend, (2/14-2/15) definitely was reflected during awards at finals on Sunday.

dancingrl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by dancingrl » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:57 pm

I know every guard works hard, and I would not even begin to say that one guard works harder then the other, and as a performer and instructor I know that you can only be as good as your weakest performer, so the fact that these IO guards can take the younger members that were in regional A and make them into strong performers is amazing... But high schools do that every year with freshman so its the same thing. I personally enjoy Raiders World over Raiders Open, RO have really strong members but the work doesn't seem to match all performers, and their shows never really grab at you as other IO guards might. But thats not all the performers fault. I think Orion is one of the better IO guards that I have seen, their work matches personality of the members and is performed at a level that the other IO guards aren't at yet...but its still early in the season, so anything can happen......GOOD LUCK to everybody!!! :D

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:40 pm

Does anyone think that there are any major suprizes in any of the top 3 groups in any catagory.......Anyone that should not be up there or that is not up there and should....YOUR thoughts

Martinez

Post by Martinez » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:34 am

I think that there is a huge difference between high school colorguard and IO colorguard. I have marched in both and the transition is very hard and I think that Orion and Raiders have done a great job in making that transition.