Scholastic Open vs. World

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Rifter2K4
New Recruit
New Recruit

Scholastic Open vs. World

Post by Rifter2K4 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 9:32 pm

In WGI, I was watching some of the lines and started to wonder what determines the difference between say a scholastic open line and world line. I had this conversation with my instructor and he thought that the music we are currently playing is more difficult and better preformed then what some of the world lines are putting out on the court. So what does make a world line different then an open line. Does all it take are some flashy backdrops, or is there some hidden secret that I am unaware of. There you go. enjoy 8-)

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:12 pm

maybe its money. :?:
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

TimpaniG
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TimpaniG » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:22 pm

That was quite a humble statement to post on a message board....

I would like to think that the classifications of these drumlines are determined by either 1) smart instructors and directors who determine which class to compete in based on their knowledge of their students' abilities and their knowledge of what else is out there. OR 2) by judges and circuit directors who feel that a group should be placed in a particular class.

Here's a question for you - if your instructor believes that your unit is so much better than some of the groups in the "world class" - why isn't your group competing in world class?
Rich Gordon - instructor / arranger Saddleback H.S., Anaheim H.S., & Magnolia H.S., Trabuco Hills H.S. - 2005 WGI Silver Medalists!
Band Director - Sycamore J.H.S.

weezer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by weezer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:54 pm

It's all about the quality of your performance. "Flashy backdrops"? Not exactly the smartest idea for you to put out, and I assure you, it's not backdrops. My group has no backdrops at all. TimpaniG is pretty much right on the money on how a group gets moved up.
So this dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:21 pm

i agree with weezer and timpaniG even though i post that reply earlier. I didnt completely understand the question but, now i do and they are right on the dough. :lol:
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

HHSMarimba

Post by HHSMarimba » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:17 pm

yeah, the instructors and judges usually do the division decisions. but it doesnt really matter what ur playing, it matters that youre playing it clean. you cant go out there with a bunch of dirty licks and say ur better than the higher divisions.

Rifter2K4
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Rifter2K4 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:09 pm

I sense a phat over exaggeration from replies which this post is getting. I never said that anything to the extent of "my line is big and bad so we could take on every World lines. I asked what the difference is. The comment I expressed was of my instructors, and how he felt our show compared to that of world lines. Our licks are pretty darn clean for the difficulty they are at. Some people should lighten up as to what they read into posts. Dont start a bashing parade because that would be totally unnessacary and unconstructive. Back to the subject: What does make the make a world line different from an Open line?

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bass2tubagod » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:54 am

I didn't think that Rifter2K4 was saying that stuff to be snobby either. It's a good question and the reasons given were pretty much right. But where's all this hostility coming from?
I'm still Red, but blue thoughts are clouding my mind. Those who know drum corps know what I'm talking about.

TimpaniG
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by TimpaniG » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:58 pm

What hostility? What are you talking about? I answered the question already. The only other point I tried to make in my first response is that it is not a good Idea to post something on a message board about how much better or cleaner your group is, or how much more difficult your show is. (of course if you are going to be annonymous about it I guess it doesn't matter because that way we won't associate the arrogance with any school in particular). Anyway... I thought it was a good question also... that's why I answered it. Just be careful about how you represent yourself (or your group) on a message board. There are some things that we say in our rehearsals or in private conversations with our instructors that don't need to be put out there for everybody to read.
My Name is Rich by the way... feel free to address me directly if you have something to say. Or you can find me at a show and we'll talk about it there.
Rich Gordon - instructor / arranger Saddleback H.S., Anaheim H.S., & Magnolia H.S., Trabuco Hills H.S. - 2005 WGI Silver Medalists!
Band Director - Sycamore J.H.S.

ryantenors
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ryantenors » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:53 pm

ur instructer said that?????? what school r u from??

beach perc.

rifter2k4?

Post by beach perc. » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:50 pm

if you expect people to not have their own opinion in a discussion forum then find another place to cry...
your question is so ambiguous that it leaves room for a crap load of interpretation.
chill out