Field Drum Majors (Conducting)

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

crashthenbash

Post by crashthenbash » Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:55 pm

Dude, phantom of the opera?!?! How was that?! If my friend was on this site and she saw this, she would totally freak!!! :roll:

kiwiDEE

Post by kiwiDEE » Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:54 pm

i agree with you...here at my school..we're not much of a parade band so we put a lot more emphasis on field conducting..and all of our drum majors really love it..and put a lot of work into perfecting field routines. It's a passion as well..and a different side to being drum major that spinning cant give you

i love it :lol:
Lynbrook High School Marching Band
Drum Major 2004

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:23 pm

BTW I'd like to mention THSDM03 is my favoritest DM I have had yet! hehe lol
:wink:

cadets_dm

Post by cadets_dm » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:20 pm

ya, go conducting, I must say that I am also very fond of that aspect of being DM, it's part of the reason why I love it so much. I'm the DM at Murrieta Valley and our show was Emerson, Lake, and Palmer... an old seventies rock group (ask your parents) and it was awesome, lots of 5/4 patterns. The greatest part of conducting I think is when the group reaches the level of their musicianship of the year and I am able to go nuts with the conducting. At championships I had a blast during our closer, "welcome back my friends", I love conducting so much. Yet I am also a fan of twirling as well, I do baton but not dompetitions yet because this is my first spinning as well... any suggestions on how to get started??

bryan
Go Murrieta Valley!!!

cyndaminthia
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cyndaminthia » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:13 am

I actually tried out for drum major and learned to spin and all that just so I could conduct the field show. And then I fell in love with spinning too, but I think ultimately, I enjoyed myself the most when I was on the podium waving my hands wildly about in those incomprehensible patterns.... those were the best times. :)
Winning is not a tradition. Winning is something you earn.

Thousand Oaks Lancer Band 1996-2000
Drum Major 1999-2000

Euphoniums Rule!!!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Euphoniums Rule!!! » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:05 am

I learned to spin and conduct at the same time and neither of them really caught on to me. I still remember the first time I was given the opportunity to conduct our band. It was heading toward the end of any regular band camp day and the air was still. Suddenly I started to conduct and I got this amazing sensation. You know in cartoons when the conductor is blown away by the air and their skin is flapping, well that was close enough for me. The wind started to blow, music started to fly and my shirt started flapping. That excited me into doing more conducting.
Hi! I'm glad to have met you!

Danny1503

I can't conduct!

Post by Danny1503 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:18 am

After all this time, for some reason I still can't conduct. I try and it looks sloppy. I think maybe because I used all this time for spinning I never really cared to learn how to conduct because I never thought it really matters but now I see it does. Being in a band that does nothing but parades I really would'nt have to do that much conducting but as a drum major hopeful I should know anyway. I am thinking about maybe doing Conducting I at a competition this year to see how I do and get an idea on what I can do to improve. And by the way I want to state now that I am NOT the drum major for my band! I don't want to accidently take credit for a position thats not mine.

-Daniel
*Long Beach Junior Concert Band*(Baritone)

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

No One has Mentioned RCC Tiger Drum Majors

Post by Mr Pageantry » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:11 am

Over the course of the fall contest season... I always drop whatever I am doing to go see the Riverside Community College Tiger Marching Band... they have to be one of the very best field bands anywhere... They have been on just about every continent and never fail to astound spectators with their musical talents, their great percussion and color guard... BUT I always watch their drum major(s).. Every year they are truly exceptional showmen(women) I personally believe that the series of Podium drum majors RCC has featured are part of the excitement that brings crowds to their feet....
May not be as relevent as some of the Mace Majors and Excellent Street and Field Majors in the high school divisions.... (that are mentioned above).... but without their excellent drum majors over the years, I don't believe RCC would have won as much applause as they have..
Another drum major who turns the crowd on is the Trojan Warrior Clad drum major of USC... we've all seen them through the years.... Prancing out in full armor... Carrying a broadsword... and truly capturing the 'Spirit Of Troy'
By the way... Bet a lot of you didn't know that Ryan Turner... who posts on this site... and who announces at major field tournaments.. was drum major of the Velvet Knights drum & bugle corps.. hiw skills and sense of humor plus his white tuxedo and red sneakers made him one of the koooolest corps drum majors in this region...
OK... I'm done... but Jim Russo of the Hawthorne Caballeros in New Jersey won so many awards in his Latin style uniform.. and Walter Winkelman of the fabled New York Skyliners drum & bugle corps from New Yawk... always will stay plastered to my inner mind.... Going back to post World War II there was a drum major named Len Captain from the Doremus Post Senior Corps from Hackensack New Jersey... Len won the National Drum Major Award for 4 years running when more than 100 drum & bugle corps competed in the Eastern Circuit..... He was the model for a doll that was sold at corps competitions in the Northeast USA....
who else but me would spend so much time reminiscing about stuff that happened 20-30-40- years ago?......
I do beleive that every student who becomes drum major of any unit is a courageous and outstanding young person.... They shoulder major burdens.. and we need to salute all of our outstanding drum majors.....

Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

Harvey@worldofpageantry.com