What if...?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

bandbuff7
New Recruit
New Recruit

What if...?

Post by bandbuff7 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:51 pm

This topic has probably been discussed before, but anyways, what if there were competing "drum corp-like" units that featured woodwinds?

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE DRUM-CORP, but I think if there were competing corps (oh wait, 'professional' marching bands) with woodwinds, that'd be awesome! :D
Yeah, there's the college bands, but there's not many "good" ones--most of them are just good pep bands.

I mean (for example), nothing can replace the sweet, powerful sound from an army of flutes on the field...or the mellow, warm tones of the clarinets. I mean, come on, excluding the woodwind element from the band makes it imcomplete... :cry:

I'd like to see the first 'drum-corp' w/ woodwinds in the mere future.

What do you guys think??? :o
"A real leader faces the music,
Even when he doesn't like the tune."
- Anon.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:19 pm

I think that would make alot of woodwinds happy that they could participate in a drum-corp style band...but you still have the problem of hearing them.

Take RCC for example...they march both brass and woodwinds, but when I saw them two years ago, I could barley hear the woodwinds.

As delighted as I would be to see such a thing happen (being a woodwind myself), its just not practical. Instead, if a woodwind wants to march in a drum corp, they should learn a brass instrument, percussion instrument, or work to be part of the pit.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:40 pm

marching woodwinds would just break tradition, woodwinds have honor band :)

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

um.

Post by clusknay » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:10 pm

I think woodwinds are better left for band. Just for the mere fact that it's always been that way...bell-front for corps...everything else for band.

And I don't think it's all about "the woodwind players would all be happy" either...possibly...yeah, but if anyone is a true musician and have the love for corps...you will too then make the choice to learn a new instrument if you really want it.

Not that i'm opposed to change at all...because in band, and corps in the past years...there have been MANY changes...fiscally...to equipment used on the field that makes them what they are today.

Will woodwinds eventually be in corps?

Sure, it's called BOA. And champs are in November.

:-)

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:40 pm

Well, there was a time when summer youth bands had their own division at drum corps shows here on the west coast.