Dissing the Drumline

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

ChaoSnare
New Recruit
New Recruit

Dissing the Drumline

Post by ChaoSnare » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:31 pm

Does anyone else have people at their school that diss the drumline because "you don't do the stuff that drumline <the movie> does" or "you have really easy stuff"< and they go on to demonstrate 8s (since 8s are so unnecessary, you dont need them for warming up or stretching out hands or anything). You know, those people who don't know how to actually play drums but they feel that if they can bust out what they call a roll they're "good". Sure, simple stuff....i want them to play it clean with 8 other people, marking time and actually havng it down off left and right. Hell, i want to hear them play it at all... :evil:
So do you have those ppl who hear your group doing warm-ups or exercises and say "oh, ya, that's so easy, i can do that" :x ppl who dont understand what it means to actually have, say, jc w/ drags down so everyone has feet, techique,and togetherness.

Raise your hand of you have them....

:dunce:<---the ones that know it all *cough*

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:34 pm

(since 8s are so unnecessary, you dont need them for warming up or stretching out hands or anything)
If 8 on a hand is so unnessary... then why has winning drumlines/corps have been playing it over the years?

8s do help you warm up, warming up your chops to go into more strenuous warm-ups. if you are not warmed up at all... try tapping it off in a faster tempo. It is also good because it lets u feel the rebounds stroke of your drum. It may be cheesy but its an important exercise to keep in your exercise book.

PS
sorrie i got of topic
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Good

Post by curios0811 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:07 pm

Alright Mihn now you got it.............kinda. jk lol
Yo

jjmachuca

Post by jjmachuca » Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:33 pm

"togetherness. "

yep. . .

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:11 pm

yeah i do and i almost punched two in the face.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

drumma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumma » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:14 am

anyone who disses the drumline or percussion in general is usually smacked. not so much in dissing pit cuz we do get to slack off more than drumline does but none the less our percussion works over 2 times as much as the band and so generally its thought that they dont really have a right to diss us cuz we're at school practicing over twice as much and our stuff is hard. they could never play it. i hate it when band kids are like "drumming is so easy! its just hitting on stuff! theres no notes! its only rhythm" pisses me off beyond belief. drumming is hard. so is mallets. and youd be surprised at how many wrong ways there are to play auxiliary instruments. stupid percussion dissers usually dunno wtf theyre talking about and need to shut their mouths.

..... probly gonna get hit with something now.... *ducks under marimba*

oh that reminds me. nother point: usually the freshmen are the ones who diss percussion cuz theyre new and dont really understand how stuff works yet. they dont quite grasp the fact that our instruments are 3 (sometimes 10) times bigger than theirs and that we can run them over with a 7 ft marimba and side swipe them to death with drums. mostly sophomores, juniors, and especially seniors already know that cuz theyve been run over or side swiped before so they usually figure out not to mess with us. plus: getting hit with sticks or mallets by drummer/mallet arms leaves welts. many band kids have the proof right on their sleeve lol
-dani
fhs percussion captain

"the sucking is out" <-WE MISS YOU RICK!!!

G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D
Mallets 02/03/04/05
Pit Captain 03/04/05
Bass #5 Summer 04

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:32 am

I second that :bow:
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Do it for the Troj"

DanielE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DanielE » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:41 am

[/quote]since 8s are so unnecessary, you dont need them for warming up or stretching out hands or anything).[quote]

Don't get me started on how necessary 8's is....
Chino Hills High School Percussion Ensemble

Tenor:03-05

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:21 pm

Yeah dont start with the 8s. There was a whole chat about that in another topic.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Do it for the Troj"

Cymbal_Queen
New Recruit
New Recruit

people are dumb

Post by Cymbal_Queen » Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:59 pm

people will always diss drumline, both in and outside of band. to nonband geeks all of it's 'one time at band camp' stories...which is only partly true. :) to band nerds it's just hitting a drum with sticks.
it's all just really lame polotics, it exists in everything. look at football, its the biggest contact sport in america and yet there are anti-jocks at every school. cheerleading, water polo, golf.....they all have people who say 'oh i can do that' or 'thats totally lame' and for the most part those are the type of people who will never really amount to anything in life.
so the next time some little a$$wipe says drumline is easy just say,'well, so are you,but you dont see me broadcasting it' :D
(i love that diss, works everytime)
Tequila : "Stupid whore!"
Me : "I'm not stupid!"

The quote on the back of my drumline shirt :
"It's not an allience, it's a cult"
- Kelia Iha, Drumline Captian-Snare, Class of '05

RobertJ

why care?

Post by RobertJ » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:04 pm

i dont really agree with 8's being unnecassary, you'd be in a major risk of tendonideous w/out 8's. But personally i could care less bout what people say about drumline, there's no reason to be pissed bout it. I dont know if anyone agrees, but i joined drumline to drum, not for an excuse to complain about people who are in the wrong.

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:04 pm

WhSDrUmBuM wrote:
(since 8s are so unnecessary, you dont need them for warming up or stretching out hands or anything)
If 8 on a hand is so unnessary... then why has winning drumlines/corps have been playing it over the years?

8s do help you warm up, warming up your chops to go into more strenuous warm-ups. if you are not warmed up at all... try tapping it off in a faster tempo. It is also good because it lets u feel the rebounds stroke of your drum. It may be cheesy but its an important exercise to keep in your exercise book.

PS
sorrie i got of topic

i THINK he was being sarcastic....but im not sure.
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)

tenorCowboy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Good

Post by tenorCowboy » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:10 pm

curios0811 wrote:Alright Mihn now you got it.............kinda. jk lol

Whatley and Steve's been explaining that for how long good job champ your moving up lol !!!!!!
so how are those "flamidusnondraginus" lol

Whats up Steve :vomit: you dont feel like that after the tenor break do you? LOL J/K
Eric Wilson

Its Alright to be a Redneck!!!

She Thinks My Tractors SEXY!!!

Us Tenor players are the best were Sexy and our Solos Kick ass!!!!!

Tenors @ Westminster High School

So called-
Caption Head Stacey Jr. high school

ChaoSnare
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChaoSnare » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:09 pm

punkmehard wrote:
WhSDrUmBuM wrote:

PS
sorrie i got of topic

lol...i was being sarcastic....i should put lil *sarcasm* notes at the end next time....

punkmehard
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by punkmehard » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:43 am

ChaoSnare wrote:
punkmehard wrote:
WhSDrUmBuM wrote: If 8 on a hand is so unnessary... then why has winning drumlines/corps have been playing it over the years?

PS
sorrie i got of topic

lol...i was being sarcastic....i should put lil *sarcasm* notes at the end next time....

bahahaha

i suppose i should have too then.

<<sarcasm>>i THINK he was being sarcastic...but i dont know<</sarcasm>>

ha
Troy Highschool Battery Lieutenant '03-'04

BASS ONE!!! represent

werd to the drumline.
:):)