Which band do favor more, and why?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Which collegiate marching band do you favor?

USC Trojan Marching Band, "The Spirit of Troy"
38%
UCLA Bruin Marching Band
63%

Total votes: 56

zookie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: geeks gone wild

Post by zookie » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:31 pm

[UCI]-Mike wrote:This post proves the point that you got all worked up over false information. The link to this site wasn't given by their band director.
Actually Mike, the quote I put states that the link was given by the director in a response to the blog/journal link (not this site directly).

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:31 pm

BTW. Almost forgot...

The TMB does not get much money from the University, as a result we do not have resources because of the higher tuition. We have the resources because alumni actually GIVE the program substantial amounts in donations. Because I have received a proper example from my director, I know that it is not appropriate to point out exactly how much. That would be rubbing your face in it. I only do that with my playing and marching.

Plus, other TMB myths that need to be disspelled:
1) Hazing is NO LONGER allowed in our organization. Severe penalties are now in place for those that violate this...

2) Not since I have returned to the group in the last 2 years has "F*** the freshmen" been yelled on the field. Before that, in my undergrad years, it had only been yelled my freshman year('91). Even then, we looked around and said, "Ok. Bring it on. Hurt me." If such words make you cry for your mommy, then you have bigger problems...

3) Any banning from airlines or cities occurred over 20 years ago. The current group is much more responsible, and more conscientious about behavior. I am not aware of any such restrictions that are currently in affect.

4) The "waddle step, do it in diapers" as it was so classfully described, is actually the "Drive It" style. It is a derivative of the TRADITIONAL BIG 10 style of marching. Whereas the BIG 10 style is a lift and drive down into the ground style, the Drive It is a "Drive your shin forward, with toe pointed down, and set the foot down" style. Check your marching style history. All bands marched a similar fashion, even corps, at one time. USC has decided to maintain a traditionally flashy style. Please do not make me critique the ucla lack of marching uniformity. I will get my SCSBOA criteria sheet out. If you were wondering, yes I do know what I am talking about. My HS groups ALWAYS marched very well, and I learned from the experts.

5)Tone quality. Do not go there. At least we can be heard. But seriously, loud does not necessarily mean bad. I have heard plenty of professional players play with the "edge" that so many people disdain. I can see it now, a ucla musician walks up to the principal tuba of the Chicago symphony and says "Your tone quality is awful."

6) USC plays two songs. WRONG, we play three. No, really j/k. We have an extensive book, approximately 20+ tunes being a conservative estimate, that can be played at any time. However, we DO play a chorus of FIGHT ON! for each first down. We play a phrase or two of Tribute to Troy every time the defense makes a good play. What you seem to be omitting are the numerous drum cadences (Zookie would know how many they have, for I am a Tuba player) played by our well-trained drumline, the several chants that we play(Fight On SC, Trojan Victory, and more), and the short tunes between plays (La Copa, Santana, 2001, Power, Another One Bites the Dust, and more). Then, of course, we play the recapitulation section in Conquest! after touchdowns, and the full version for the Victory.

Please do not speak of things of which you know nothing about.

At the URL, I quote the following:
Hi there, I go to UCLA. Our director gave us your site because it was bashing U$C.---Posted 2/2/2004 at 2:41 PM by sabbunt
endquote
Oh no, I guess the director didn't do it. It must the other director at that other ucla.

One more thing about the distinction of how classy your program is. Last time I checked, we do not do a "Fall of westwood" show. Though that might be interesting to do. In your case, it wouldn't be much of a fall. BTW, that WAS a dig for those of you that need it pointed out.

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: geeks gone wild

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:08 pm

zookie wrote:
[UCI]-Mike wrote:This post proves the point that you got all worked up over false information. The link to this site wasn't given by their band director.
Actually Mike, the quote I put states that the link was given by the director in a response to the blog/journal link (not this site directly).
I was responding to Havokdrumms post.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

zookie
New Recruit
New Recruit

hot topic

Post by zookie » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:28 pm

1,600 page views. Looks like the rivalry lives on. No wonder the USC v. ucla game is the hottest ticket in town (well, besides the rosebowl)! I'm getting stoked for football season already!!!

Khan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Khan » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:04 pm

Methinks they both suck! The University Of Spoiled Children and the Unloved Crying Loser's Academy should both be razed and turned into parking lots.

Go Bears!

Khan

Shota871
Rookie
Rookie

Re: hot topic

Post by Shota871 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:44 pm

zookie wrote:1,600 page views. Looks like the rivalry lives on. No wonder the USC v. ucla game is the hottest ticket in town (well, besides the rosebowl)! I'm getting stoked for football season already!!!
Agreed... 8-) Sigh...
North High School Saxon Regiment ('00~'02)
North High School Drum Line ('00~'02)
North High School #10 Tin Can Band ('01~'02)
El Camino College Varsity Band ('03~'05)
USC Trojan Marching Band ('03~'06)

DancesWithFlags

How about the flags?

Post by DancesWithFlags » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:25 pm

Well guys, this band bashing has been fun, but let's take a look at the guards. Let's begin with appearance.

Item: USC's poor colorguard has been wearing those awful pleated skirts and band uniform tops since the beginning of time. Granted, UCLA's Colorguard wore band uniforms one year, but their directors saw the light and fixed that problem. The Colorguard at UCLA looks better visually than their rivals across town.

Item: USC's colorguard, unfortunately, has what we long term guardies like to call "ripples" (complete with finger marks). Sadly, those "ripples" are not meant to be ripples, and the repetition of their work reflects their poor imagination and artistic integrity.

Item: USC's colorguard should be introduced to a little term known in the guard world as "cleaning." It's a technique used during practice hours to make sure the flag work is together during the show.

Appearance Score: USC: 0, UCLA: 3

Now, though I'm sure most of you could care less, let's examine the behavior of each guard, during the infamous UCLA/USC games.

Item: UCLA's colorguard (for the most part) respectfully (gritting their teeth at the obvious disregard for musical integration and visual stimulation) watched USC's colorguard attempt to perform to the weak strains of USC's versions of popular songs (which were so incredibly mangled, the announcer had to tell the audience what each of the songs were). USC's colorguard (at least for pregame) was outright rude and disrespectful to UCLA"s Colorguard.
I've read a lot of crap on this forum about how "class shouldn't be a judging point in the rivalry," well, I have to say that's crap. Because bashing someone else's "class" is a very poor way to cover up one's rudeness.
And don't tell me about how each of the bands acted and how they disrespected the other. Because I'm not dealing with the bands. We're talking about guards. And in a strictly technical, artistic or visual sense, UCLA comes out ahead.

And no offense to you bandos, but without flags, there's not a lot to look at on the field, regardless of which band you happen to like.

Outie 5000.
Turn on your brain!!
You'll never walk alone.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ~Aristotle

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:47 pm

Ok, who let the flag in?

I do not know too many people that ask a flag for musical advice...

Start another thread, so we could all care less.

catlove
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by catlove » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:59 pm

Well guys, this band bashing has been fun, but let's take a look at the guards. Let's begin with appearance
We would take a look at the guards but the topic here is "which band do you favor more. So if you want to talk about which ones guard is better then go to the guard section.
Item: USC's poor colorguard has been wearing those awful pleated skirts and band uniform tops since the beginning of time. Granted, UCLA's Colorguard wore band uniforms one year, but their directors saw the light and fixed that problem. The Colorguard at UCLA looks better visually than their rivals across town.
At USC it is not called guard. It is called Silks. Since they wear the same uniform top as the band it just makes it more uniform and everyone with every body type looks good in it. In college there are no judges so there is no reason to spend money that they dont have to to be more visual. Who cares what they wear.
Item: USC's colorguard, unfortunately, has what we long term guardies like to call "ripples" (complete with finger marks). Sadly, those "ripples" are not meant to be ripples, and the repetition of their work reflects their poor imagination and artistic integrity.
Actually a lot of there work is ripples. And i do agree that their work does have a repetitive look to it, but it has gotten a lot better these past years. Imagination and artistic integrity come on its college not high school get over it.
Item: USC's colorguard should be introduced to a little term known in the guard world as "cleaning." It's a technique used during practice hours to make sure the flag work is together during the show.
Again its college. They do a different show every game so in most cases they have one week before the next game. that does mean to learn new drill, new work and yes if time clean it. if you ask me classwork is more important than cleaning when you are in college cause they arent majoring in guard.
I've read a lot of crap on this forum about how "class shouldn't be a judging point in the rivalry," well, I have to say that's crap. Because bashing someone else's "class" is a very poor way to cover up one's rudeness
Well hello your sitting here saying that bashing someone is covering up ones rudeness when you are doing it yourself. why dont you look at what you are writing before you send it. you just made yourself look like and idiot.
And no offense to you bandos, but without flags, there's not a lot to look at on the field, regardless of which band you happen to like.
Again we are talking about college here not high school. they dont need to have a guard or a good guard to be a good band. A good band is a good band with or without a guard, any good colrguard person would know that.

Shota871
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How about the flags?

Post by Shota871 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:31 pm

DancesWithFlags wrote:Well guys, this band bashing has been fun, but let's take a look at the guards. Let's begin with appearance.

Appearance Score: USC: 0, UCLA: 3

Now, though I'm sure most of you could care less, let's examine the behavior of each guard, during the infamous UCLA/USC games.

Item: UCLA's colorguard (for the most part) respectfully (gritting their teeth at the obvious disregard for musical integration and visual stimulation) watched USC's colorguard attempt to perform to the weak strains of USC's versions of popular songs (which were so incredibly mangled, the announcer had to tell the audience what each of the songs were). USC's colorguard (at least for pregame) was outright rude and disrespectful to UCLA"s Colorguard.
I've read a lot of crap on this forum about how "class shouldn't be a judging point in the rivalry," well, I have to say that's crap. Because bashing someone else's "class" is a very poor way to cover up one's rudeness.
And don't tell me about how each of the bands acted and how they disrespected the other. Because I'm not dealing with the bands. We're talking about guards. And in a strictly technical, artistic or visual sense, UCLA comes out ahead.

Okay... I'll have to truly REALLY disagree with this one. Plus, you might think it's bad, unless you're just trying to get even looking for any of our frailities, as of some other desparate UCLA band fans, but many of us, USC fans or not, doesn't. And Heaven wouldn't really give a darn thing either.

First of all, the USC's so-called colorguard section is titled the USC(TMB) Silks.

I find it absolutely no problem to see the Silks wear the uniform equivalent to those of the winds and percussion. The uniform of the band itself I like more seems to stand out much stronger than UCLA band's corp-based uniform, and the UCLA's colorguard uniforms, also "mimicing" under the corp influence. Besides, USC is more of a showband, rather than a corp-band like UCLA. Honestly I favor both USC and UCLA by the colorguard uniform. They're different, but that, to some doesn't means one's better or another.

"Ripples"? USC doesn't give a thing about doing authentic drum-corp artistry or something. But at least it's an fully organized drill, as all band colorguards should be. The USC's band, both winds and colorguards focus on pure entertainment, both in the stands and on the field.

To be honest, UCLA's band's overall very good, but it's definitely the type I would go for at all, and I'm proud of being a Trojan!

Who in Hades was the voice announcing for the UCLA band? :shock: I was caught laughint while he (or she... sounds so transgendered...) introduced "The Solid Gold Sound". As for USC, doesn't the announcer have to introduce music for any musically impaired people one at a time. Besides, for the USC band, having announcing one music at a time seems more appeasing. And it was probably Dr. Bartner's idea (unless I'm wrong). Above all, the "Voice of the USC Trojan Marching Band" (in my opinion, not yours), IS an ideal voice of a school spirit, a powerful masculine stirring voice which seems to really prepare the fans to give cheer for the band. Michigan's legendary announcer is much favorable than UCLA's. Cal's announcer sounds very stirring too.

Back to the main topic. The USC silks does get the respect as much as UCLA's colorguard (is that what we say? UCLA Bruin Marching Band Colorguards?). Even if I was neutral or lived in Berkley or Palo Alto I probalby would have favored each (because I love researching on collegiate marching bands)

I wonder what's next? The USC twirlers VS UCLA's Ms. Yi? Sorry, but USC already won (times a million) on this one for now. The school is already more than proud to have a two-time (or more if I'm wrong) collegiate twirling champion, and no one could outmatch her talent.

8-) FIGHT ON TROJANS!
:D BRUINS, TILL NEXT TIME AT THE ROSE BOWL.
Last edited by Shota871 on Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shota871
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Shota871 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:37 pm

catlove wrote:
Well guys, this band bashing has been fun, but let's take a look at the guards. Let's begin with appearance
We would take a look at the guards but the topic here is "which band do you favor more. So if you want to talk about which ones guard is better then go to the guard section.
At USC it is not called guard. It is called Silks. Since they wear the same uniform top as the band it just makes it more uniform and everyone with every body type looks good in it. In college there are no judges so there is no reason to spend money that they dont have to to be more visual. Who cares what they wear.
Actually a lot of there work is ripples. And i do agree that their work does have a repetitive look to it, but it has gotten a lot better these past years. Imagination and artistic integrity come on its college not high school get over it.
Again its college. They do a different show every game so in most cases they have one week before the next game. that does mean to learn new drill, new work and yes if time clean it. if you ask me classwork is more important than cleaning when you are in college cause they arent majoring in guard.
I've read a lot of crap on this forum about how "class shouldn't be a judging point in the rivalry," well, I have to say that's crap. Because bashing someone else's "class" is a very poor way to cover up one's rudeness
Well hello your sitting here saying that bashing someone is covering up ones rudeness when you are doing it yourself. why dont you look at what you are writing before you send it. you just made yourself look like and idiot.
Again we are talking about college here not high school. they dont need to have a guard or a good guard to be a good band. A good band is a good band with or without a guard, any good colrguard person would know that.
Oh yeah... sorry, I was referring the the band overall including all the winds, percussion, and Silks. But if anyone wanted to mention the colorguard alone, I had to agree with catlove. Discuss elsewhere.

FIGHT ON!

JeromeJaxon

UCLA vs USC

Post by JeromeJaxon » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:53 pm

When it comes to the better band, UCLA is by far the winner. The only reason U$C goes to more places is because they have more money than the UCLA band. It costs more than twice as much to go to U$C than UCLA. Also, U$C doesn't go to either the Stanford or Cal Berkeley game and UCLA does. Why doesn't U$C go to those games? U$C is BANNED from any hotel in the San Francisco area for being morons. U$C doesn't even hardly march in their shows. They just mostly stand still and dance like pansies. UCLA always does harder and more technical shows because they are good enough to do them. UCLA is a lot classier and meets up with visiting bands and gives them water and snacks. U$C is loud and out of tune, UCLA actually knows what intonation is and actually follows it. I think the evidence speaks for itself. GO BRUINS!!
JeromeJaxon

Shota871
Rookie
Rookie

Re: UCLA vs USC

Post by Shota871 » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:04 am

JeromeJaxon wrote:When it comes to the better band, UCLA is by far the winner. The only reason U$C goes to more places is because they have more money than the UCLA band. It costs more than twice as much to go to U$C than UCLA. Also, U$C doesn't go to either the Stanford or Cal Berkeley game and UCLA does. Why doesn't U$C go to those games? U$C is BANNED from any hotel in the San Francisco area for being morons. U$C doesn't even hardly march in their shows. They just mostly stand still and dance like pansies. UCLA always does harder and more technical shows because they are good enough to do them. UCLA is a lot classier and meets up with visiting bands and gives them water and snacks. U$C is loud and out of tune, UCLA actually knows what intonation is and actually follows it. I think the evidence speaks for itself. GO BRUINS!!
Haven't you read the rest? First, being banned from Hotel was 20 years ago or more, and USC band members are much more having common sense then back then, when even hazing was allowed.

Second, USC DOES travel to either of the two NorCal schools, as well as travelling to every other away games. The 2003 season USC hosted Stanford and went to Cal. The 2004 season will be the other way around. Travelwise, USC wins against ALL collegiate bands.

Third, USC is out of tune? You've got to be c---in' jealous of our blaring sound which sounds so "immature" to the corp-based band.

And fourth, Cal's band is much more "classier" and visually looks better than UCLA's.

Your evidence is my false alarm report.

zookie
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: How about the flags?

Post by zookie » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:08 am

DancesWithFlags wrote:And no offense to you bandos, but without flags, there's not a lot to look at on the field, regardless of which band you happen to like.
Don't you hate it when people say "no offense but..." and then they go and say something really offensive? Does that make it any better?

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:17 am

Boys and Girls...

JeromeJaxon is why you shouldn't do crack.

We DO go to the Cal and Stanford games. We take the entire Band to San Francisco every year. Your ignorance is offensive. If you were to actually read the thread, you would know WHY the USC Band has more fiscal resources. WE EARN IT. I know that is a concept foreign to SOME that rely upon the tax dollars of California to get an education, but please get a clue.

Do not hold against me that I worked my butt off in HS to get the grades and test scores to get into a great university like USC. I also earned the financial aid I received to attend that great institution. In fact, over 80% of the student body receives financial aid. So, enough with the Spoiled Children crack. We go to school in South Central, and ucla is in friggin bel air. THINK PEOPLE!

Also, regarding the "intonation" crack...

In my days of student teaching at Hamilton HS, the LAUSD MUSIC MAGNET, we had a visit from the SCHOLARSHIP QUINTET from ucla. Now, these are supposed to have been the BEST brass musicians in the school of art and architecture. After hearing them play, the students wondered why the quintet could not find a pitch or understand proper phrasing...

Deluded in your ignorance you are...