Drumline Family

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Do you consider people in drumline with you your family?

No
7%
Yes
59%
Only some
34%

Total votes: 29

DanielE
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DanielE » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:10 pm

You Bet!!!!! We're all the best of friends...and I'm not exagerating either...
Chino Hills High School Percussion Ensemble

Tenor:03-05

FaSt_HaNd$

my "brothers"

Post by FaSt_HaNd$ » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:16 pm

for me and my line, we kind of have to. to be successful, you must first off be comfortable w/ the people you work with. but when you're close enough to consider them family, you have a relationship on and off the field(or parade route)that no one else can get through. it makes everything fun and easier when you are with your "brothers" or "sisters"

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ace » Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:29 am

Sort of but not really. I think that the people in my drumline are cool and fun to be with and everything but I'm not close enough to them to call them my family. Actually we call our PIT instructor PIT mama because we're all her kids.
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:36 pm

Of course we do because it would seem wierd to drum with an ex. So we just leave us as a family and help each other in need of help.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

weezer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by weezer » Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:38 pm

I consider my drumline to be some of my best friends, but not exactly family. We've really bonded, and we play better because of it, but I just don't think we're THAT close to be "family". I mean, that's pretty deep. But it's awesome that some of you guys close enough to call them your family.
So this dyslexic guy walks into a bra...

Survivor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Survivor » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:45 pm

Well to the qustion that was asked....Ya my PERCUSSION section are my family. Ya some of them we hate and other we love...(o do we love them) we also date out of my section.Pit with Battery. We bond through out the year so its coo. During second semester we even know what car there parents drive so when there mom comes we can yell...Hey Thomas your mom is here its fun. We all are really close we call our main instructor Uncle Jason (first name is Jason) and we call our drum Tech. Dub (Dave). Its a lot of fun. IN our band we are the closes sectoin due to the fact that everyother section hates each other (that is a whole differnt story trust me). The band and Gaurd are kind of jellous to the fact that we see each other for about 4 hours a day and we still are best of friends. And that is just on the field or at school. Out of school and after pracitec we are even closer, we go to movies and we date each other (in a good way). We are really close and I love them...ALL of them. Its a really tuchy subject since they are all my bros. and sis's. I love them......

-survivor

LosAl_tuba

Post by LosAl_tuba » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:08 pm

well, yes almost everyone is like family, we do things alot togeather, and we act like total morons around each other.
Pecking is Satan.

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:52 pm

Totally. If anything, I'm probably more comftorable with the drumline than I am with my own family. Like in my family though, I get along sometimes and sometimes we fight, but they're all really great people.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

Shorty41
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shorty41 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:30 pm

In my line there our some people I consider my best friends(Family or wutever), others I consider to be friends and others are just people Im in drumline with, I mean I talk to everyone and all, just some I know better then others.
Rubidoux HS: Bass 2~

drumma
New Recruit
New Recruit

percussion is family!

Post by drumma » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:59 am

at our school, all of percussion is just one big family. its great. its just like the biggest support group, in most of our lives at least lol you know everyone else and its really important in being a good percussion as a unit because in shows you have to trust each other or else stuff falls apart. as a pit member, if you dont trust the ppl in drumline to keep tempo, you end up going off on your own tempo thinking they're wrong and things rip, and visa versa. if you trust everyone else in the group, its easier to trust that they will keep tempo, play stuff correctly and clean, and that everything will run smoothly. and trusting each other is extremely important if something does tear in the show because you have to be able to trust your captains to pull it back together. i dunno what id do without our drumline captain/head captain. hes amazing. every rip, every tear in drumline, hes pulled it back together. and you have to have that family-like trust or else things just rip here and there and then you get all pissed off at everyone else for messing up. not good. the worst is when everyone is included in the family except for like one person who just acts up. that sucks cuz it ends up throwing things off.
-dani
fhs percussion captain

"the sucking is out" <-WE MISS YOU RICK!!!

G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D
Mallets 02/03/04/05
Pit Captain 03/04/05
Bass #5 Summer 04

ChaoSnare
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ChaoSnare » Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:59 pm

The people in drumline have become a dysfunctional family that I'm a member off. I spend more time with drumline people then with my own family (unless you count sleeping...) and the few people I consider good friends are in there. Sure sometimes you're pissed off at each other but you know they've got your back....basically what I'm saying is that if the criteria for being a family is that you can talk to them about anything, trust them, be able to fight but still be ok at the end, and know each other (as in inside jokes, dislikes/likes, etc.) then yes, drumline is family.

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:37 pm

yes inside jokes are good to have even if there dumb.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:18 am

I'm an instructor, and cause I work closely to these kids, they are in a sense like family to me... we joke, we laugh, we cry... and most important we drum...!
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:09 pm

drum drum drum drum drum drum drum food drum
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd