Greatest High School Marching Band Moment

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Coach
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Coach » Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:38 pm

My all time favorite moment was at T.O.C. 1995 Rubidoux had an American Flag streched from 30 yard line to 30 with smoke coming from the front side line playing "AMERICA" from the movie Born in East L.A.. Recorded by Neil Diamond. Great feeling, Great year, The Best Director.
Be the Best YOU can be,
Because YOU can!

AznBando

Post by AznBando » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:33 pm

I have two memories as well...
1) My freshmen year, we had the WBA championships at the Fresno State stadium. Very big place. We had gotten second in prelims so when we went on for finals, the stands were packed. Even though we ended up actually getting third place, so many people we cheering for us as we marched back through the fog to our trailer. It was awesome. Every time I drive by that stadium now, I have this memory of all of the bands warming up... Just that year's championships was memorable. Though this might be because it was my first.
2) This year, we had the most incredible show: "A Night on Bald Mountain." The music was difficult and sounded awesome and the drill we had was just... oh my goodness. lol It was like th eband was constantly moving this way and that. So awesome. Since Logan James High School did not attend this year's championships at Buchannan stadium, this was the year for such a good show. We had a chance to get first, after all this time, but i suppose it wasn't meant to be. Second wish what I feel was our best show ever. You have no idea how dissappointed the band was. But our drill tech told us to stand up tall and leave the stadium with our heads high. I got this extremely proud feeling. Like no matter what happens, I'll always be proud to be a part of the Golden Eagle Marching Band. Go CW! ^_^V
lol so ya, I thought those were cool. ^_^ good times, good times.

crazypepsarecool
New Recruit
New Recruit

Moments

Post by crazypepsarecool » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:28 pm

At the Vista Tournament was amazing experience because it was our sister school and we had the support of our parents (because most of them came since it was so near) and the support of the Vista people. We did our show and had an amazing time. When they were giving out the awards they called the other schoole there for music sweapstakes, after the leaders returned to the arc, they called the next sweapstakes and we won it. We were to excited. We were jumping out of our seats hug hug screaming the whole deal. Our leaders did their solute and started to move back to the arc. The announcer said,"Rancho Buena Vista you are not dismissed." The entire band was silent thinking what this ment then we realized we won the grand effect sweapstakes. It was amazing. A total rush. Who needs drugs when you can just join band. When we got back to the bus we had our huddle. It was so much fun. Tye and Scott (our DM) were talking to us while the director and staff talked. Well the staff was talking a lot so Tye decided to do impersonations of Weirather, Ken, and other stafff members and what he thought they would say. The funny thing it was exactly what Weirather and Ken said to us.

That entire night was amazing. It was the best.

Yay RBV
Kick Donkey!

limegreenlimabean

Greaest Marching Band Moment '03

Post by limegreenlimabean » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:44 pm

The greatest marching moment for me was at SCSBOA Championships when we threw everything down and did our best and didn't give a crap what the judges said. Now that was a show...
Clarinets Rule!

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:27 pm

My personal favorite moment in my band was actually during concert season this year. We were about to rehearse when our principal, assistant principal, and other office staff walked into the band room. We all looked at each other and freaked out, thinking someone was in trouble. then, a man walked in with a Rosa Parade jacket on and announced that our band would march in the 2005 Rose Parade. It's the first time our band has been invited and the first time in 15 years that a band from our county has been invited!

Another of my favorite moments is at the Mt. Carmel Band Review this year, when we were about to step off. Our Drum Major called us to attention and did her routine, and EVERYONE started cheering for her! I was sOOOO proud of her!

And, yet another, is from my freshman year field show, when the band go to dance. We had this really awesome jazz song that was hard for lots of the freshmen(me included) to play, so our director had the jazz band play it in a block and the rest of the band had this dance that we got to do. We all called it the "band dance". The colorguard did the same dance, just with added flair, and let me tell you, they did an awesome job. I really miss that show...

Actually, I guess I love just about every moment of marching band, because I've just thought of more stories, but whatever...hehe. What can I say...MARCHING BAND RULES! :wink:
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:43 pm

LP/O's best moment has to have been last year when we had a full band rehearsal. We had a really awesome horn player, Rachel, and she was standing up when we were getting ready to play and she was dancing around holding her horn close to her chest. Our director looked over and screamed "Sit down Rachel!" This caught her off gaurd and she looked like she was going to cry. This is one of those moments where you had to have been there.

Another funny one was when our director said " the numbers are measured" good stuff!!!!
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com

Boyo

Greatest Marching Band Moment...

Post by Boyo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:59 pm

I would have to say that the greatest moment for me was a three way tie between perfoming in the RCA Dome at BOA Grand Nationals, performing at the Bank One Ballpark for the Fiesta Bowl, and winning for the first time at the Fiesta Bowl. That was a total shock, and I cannot explain how exhilarating and how amazing that moment was. :D

Ryan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Maytime Band Review 2003

Post by Ryan » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:44 pm

My greatest moment was at my last Maytime this past year...and my band didn't even notice...the entire crowd was talking and ignoring the announcer because he LAGGED so much. also, he glossed over the description of the award so no one understood what it meant. anyway...they announced notre dame in 1st with a score of 91.8 and announced mayfair with the lower division sweepstakes with a score of 91.9. pretty shocking knowing that we just won sweepstakes, but no one else did...we had to explain it on the bus afterwards...btw...this is the first time mayfair took sweeps at maytime in its entire history

vibelady2005

Coolest Moment

Post by vibelady2005 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:41 pm

Ufortunately, I'm only a junior, and I haven't been able to decide my favorite band moment yet, but I know my fave line moment!

(1)Rubidoux HS Percussion Competition 2003
It rained all the way there, the duration, and the way home. Let's just say there was one wet marimba and forty wet HS students!

(2) A.B. Miller Finals
It was 4 am, (our CT) and our instructor and bus weren't there.
a- the bus got into an accident, and then came and picked us up in the same bus
b- our instructor woke up late
c- we went on at 8
d- 4 hour drive
AD ASTRA PER ASPERA
Antelope Valley HS
Class of 2005
Tenor Section Leader 02-03
Xylo 03'
Vibes 04'
Voted 'Most Likely to become Band Director'

The#1MarchingPathfinder

My greatest moment at the lausd championship in 2002

Post by The#1MarchingPathfinder » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:26 pm

Hey what's up peoples? Well first and formost i want to show my gratitude to everyone's high school band, it take some time and efforts and a lot (i mean ALOT)! of hard work and dedication to do what we do and i really respect that! :D well anyways i'm new on here and i want to say my greatest moment was my first year playing for john c fremont high school marching band in 2002, it was the best year for me, since this is my last year at fremont. We had (well at least me and my fellow seniors) had the best time that year, we won sweepstakes, 1st places at many competitions, but i can trully say that the 2002 lausd championship was the greatest moment for me, even though we got 2nd place, it trully felt like it was first for many of us, yes it was very sad and emotional but we still hold our own! we stood there for awhile standing there with pride! and alot of us was crying, and stuff especially my friend brian( i love u man :)) but anyways that was my best of the best of the best moment! and i will never forget it, and i want to say to the members and staff and old members and old staff at that time that i love yall with all my heart and strength! and even though we argue and fight ALOT lol but we still maintain to do our very best at what we do! but i trully say that our band no disrespect to other bands but i think our band is the best! :D i love yall man :crying: and nobody cant change that!!!!!

Go Fremont!!!!!!

*This is from Dontranail the bando commando!

Clairnets rule!!!!!!!!!!!

"john c. what what femont what what fremont what what pride what what what! i use to love saying that when we move it out on drum catins or katins (something like that)lol
:-) clarinets is the best! u better recongnized

Lua

Post by Lua » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:14 pm

My favorite marching band moment was my senior circle, after WBA chapionships in 2002. Listening to the field show one last time, and being with my class in the center, instead of looking in from the outside--creepy moment. But it was nice to see all the people that made it all four years, especially the two other guard girls. Three left out of nine is better was better than zero.

As far as the best moment in performance: a WBA comp in Fresno my freshman year. I think it was the first performance of the 'cover the band' ending, Juex de Cartes edition, and it was also the best show of the season. Everybody came off the field smiling, the parents told us that we got a standing ovation, and we came in first in everything. It was a good night. Pity about the bus ride home, though - we didn't get to the school until about 3 in the morning.
If at first you don't succeed, failure might be your style

Thousand Oaks H.S. Color Guard
1999-2003
PCC Honor Band & Guard
'02-'03
Mystikal Drum & Bugle Corps
'05

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:15 am

One of my favorite moment's had to be my very first field show. We were only performing at half-time for our school, but it was the biggest adrenaline rush ever. I was playing trumpet then, and I was all worried about forgetting a set or a part in the music, but when I started marching, everything clicked and it went fine, and that's when I realized that marching band is gonna be one of the greatest things to happen to me.

My other favorite moment would have to be when last year our drumline took home a 1st place, it was a great feeling because it was one of our highest scores in a long time. I was playing 3rd bass then, and we had a fairly good line at the time. We were all so excited and happy and proud because we had put so much work in to learning that music and those sets.

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:38 am

Getting trashcanned :wink:

Probably for band would be this past season when my best friend had to watch us in the stands because she was too sick to perform finals after going through Prelims :cry: :cry: :cry: But me and her are part of the "fab five" so we did our ritual facing her in the stands and I'm pretty sure everyone there heard it but she had the biggest smile on her face and the four of us were so psyched about performing for her we did great. I don't think any of us felt bad because we didn't really do that show for the audience, we kind of did it for one of our own.... Wow sounds sappy :P
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

BHC123
New Recruit
New Recruit

the greatest

Post by BHC123 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:07 pm

i say the greatest feeling ever in the world that i will feel in my years in band was winning the fiesta bowl tournament. we had learned we won the parade the day before so we ready for another victory and we won 1st in prelims so we were feeling good. and we ended up going second to last in finals with lawrence. c north going last. we felt good of our performance. and so we were standing on the field for awards and lawrence c. north took like every single caption with us getting second in all except music which we won. so we thought we lost and when they said and now the second place winner of the blue cross of blue shield arizona national band championships.... with a score of 93.8... lawrence c north WE WENT SOO CRAZY!! and lawrence was standing right next to us and i saw their faces, it was great. and so after them they said and now the band showing the very best skill in the competion(oh ya) the first place winner of the blue cross of blue shield arizona fiesta bowl national band champions grand master trophy... with a score of 93.9(and u could hear everyone gooo OOOOOOOOOO) CHINO!! haha it was sooo great of a feeling. everyone thought we lost and it was just great. good times, they had fireworks and everything for us. and when we got back we got recognized by the city and state :D . we might go back my senior year

also that last marching band practice before our final performance, while we were in our brass arch. we had like the greatest warm up ever. it was like really emotional and everyone was pumped up. and our brass instructor was just making things better, and then he said since this is our very last practice of the whole marching season lets make this one great. and he was like PLAY THIS ONE AS LOUD AS U POSSIBLY CAN!!! haha.... it was sooo great we played so loud that u could notice that all the other bands around us were really really bugged by this. it was an awesome sound, i bet they heard us in the stadium. and when we stopped it was huge echo!! greatest brass arch ever. greatest time ever!
Our Greatest Glory Lies Not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall

did u hear what happened in mexico today??
2 cars crashed and 500 ppl died!!