Eupho-waaaat

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

iamnotabandnerd

Eupho-waaaat

Post by iamnotabandnerd » Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:54 pm

this questions is more or less adressed to the few, the proud, the chosen ones otherwise known as euphonium players....in anycase... i am a euponium player without a horn, the main issue(s) here is that 1) i have a *cough* very limited budget and 2) i am not overly sure whereto start looking, i have been kinda checking out yamaha 642 and looking at besson and wilson...so if any of you out there in the great abyss either 1) want to give me a euphonium or 2) could point me in the right direction to find a good one i'd be much obliged! thanks yall and party on! :wink:
If i had a nickle for every time i had a cool signiture...id have not nickles :(

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:08 pm

check out some of the drum corps, sometimes they sell their instruments, and usually they are in good condition, well that's all the help i can give.

www.dci.org (go to corps)

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Euphonium

Post by JCYS » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:45 pm

You didn't state what you mean by a "very limited budget." That could mean alot or nothing

You can't really get a decent euph for under $900....and I am talking used, but in very good condition. I purchased some for my school off EBay recently, 4 valve Yamahas (YEP 321) and Besson 762's, for $850-1200. If you are looking for something cheaper, you can get some occasionally but they are pretty banged up. If you are patient you can find some good ones in mint condition for under a grand.

If you are looking for a new horn, those same model Euphs will cost $1800 or more at major discount. More likely your going to pay $2K+.

I would stick to the Yamaha 321 and the Besson 762. The King 4 valve is also not bad for an inter. Euph. The Bach Euph is just a Yamaha in disguise.

I know there are some other brands out there like Winston and Jupiter and Werle, but I am a bit wary of them.

If you want a compensating euph, plan on paying $2K+ used, and more than $4K new. The Yamaha compensating is good and is one of the cheapest.

I have owned a Mirafone, a Yamaha 321, a Besson Imperial and a Besson Sovereign, and played the King, Willson, Hirshbrunner and several others.

I would recommend Yamaha as being a good all around euph. Stay away from rotary valve horns like Mirafone (but their compensating piston model is supposed to be good..but expensive.)

Personally, if you have the bucks, go for the Besson or Willson, thats what 90% of the pro's use.

Don't be shy of buying a used horn off Ebay, or from Taylor Music in S. Dakota, or from Tuba Exchange. You'll get FAR more horn for your buck.

>JCYS

vmbronco
Rookie
Rookie

Euphs

Post by vmbronco » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:46 pm

Ive also been lookin around and found Yamaha the best for the price. theyre pretty affordable and have a nice tone. I would put a little extra in for a int/professional or professional to make a better incestment for ur money.
Everyone saves their money for a new car, mine is goin for a Besson!
"If I had a bazooka, I would blow a hole in the wall between us. If either or both of us survived, I'd ask you 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?'"
- Kurt Vonnegut

iamnotabandnerd

Post by iamnotabandnerd » Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:32 pm

I totally hear you on that new car thing! ive been saving for like a year and a half and while all my friends are drivin' round town in their new jettas i holding out for a horn. Thanks for the advice about the yamaha! happy holiday's
If i had a nickle for every time i had a cool signiture...id have not nickles :(

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:08 pm

I would have to suggest the King 4 valve. It bit pricire, but I have been playing on that horn for 5 years now, and it has not led me wrong yet. It is a great and reliable horn.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:25 am

I just bought a Yamaha 842. Valves a better than the 642. Horn is a little brighter than a Besson or Willson. As a matter of fact, the Willson is more like a tenor Tuba, so I prefere the Yamaha tone. If you are into a intermediate horn, get the Yamaha 321. I've played the 321 for years, and am very pleased with its responsiveness and tone. Valves are a little slow, but pretty good for the price range. You should be able to find it for about $2000.
Good luck

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:53 pm

:D
If you want a decent concert style instrument check with them at Anaheim Band Instruments.
Also check Taylor Music- sometimes they have really good refurbished instruments at great prices.