freshmen vs. old members

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

freshmen vs. old members

Post by guardee101 » Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:59 pm

at my school it totally seems like all of the freshmen hang out with eachother, and the returners hang out with eachother. Crossing the line is like taboo. Are your guys's schools so super cliquey like that,? because it is kind of sad, especially since we have such a small guard.

captain-lo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by captain-lo » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:15 pm

yeah, my guard can be pretty cliquey from time to time, and yeah, that makes me kind of sad, its like can't we all just be friends? ok we are all friends on guard, but there will always be cliques within our guard...i don't think it will ever change either despite the fact I wish it would. I mean, were all pretty cool with eachother, but theres always talking behind everyone elses back..its sad. and during parade too, there's sometimes segregation beteween the seperate lines..like there will be 'letter parties' and the flags arent invited, not that that really bothers me, its just the idea. anyway, were still a team and we have our first show tomorrow too(evals)...and I love everyone on our guard so it will be a fun time!!!

captain-lo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by captain-lo » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:27 pm

yeah, my guard can be pretty cliquey from time to time, and yeah, that makes me kind of sad, its like can't we all just be friends? ok we are all friends on guard, but there will always be cliques within our guard...i don't think it will ever change either despite the fact I wish it would. I mean, were all pretty cool with eachother, but theres always talking behind everyone elses back..its sad. and during parade too, there's sometimes segregation beteween the seperate lines..like there will be 'letter parties' and the flags arent invited, not that that really bothers me, its just the idea. anyway, were still a team and we have our first show tomorrow too(evals)...and I love everyone on our guard so it will be a fun time!!!

Nephthys
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nephthys » Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:37 pm

No, I think all SIX of us are buddy-buddy ^_^ I hope...
~ANIME FREAK~
*Walking on my dark trail under the Ebon Star*

Why does the plaque say Romona?

colorguardchicken02

Post by colorguardchicken02 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:41 am

Nephthys wrote:No, I think all SIX of us are buddy-buddy ^_^ I hope...
all 6 of us are buddy-buddy. but we're also all freshmen. but in feild season, there were some returning members. i noticed that they were all close and the freshmen and 1 new jr. kinda huddled together. :roll: kinda odd
Last edited by colorguardchicken02 on Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:09 pm

yea lol I was goin to say, all six of you girls doin winter guard are all freshman lol. :)

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:37 pm

The guard at my school is all about drama.
So there are cliques but not with the freashman and older members... kinda i think

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:13 pm

Our guard is kind of wierd. I eat lunch (sophomore aqui) with freshman and Juniors, last year I got invited to eat lunch with them, and this year I invited a few freshman to eat lunch with us. We have little inside joke groups that I can't explain here.. but there's always people we don't like. In winterguard it's horrible on the bus sometimes.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

cliques? ha...ofcourse..

Post by RifleLova » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:20 pm

cliques on my guard are inevitable. during field season, freshmen usually never hang w/ anyone else in a higher grade and vice versa then during winterguard there are cliques but it doesn't matter what age or grade you are then.
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:07 pm

our guard has cliques but i dont think they are as bad as they used to be...whole groups of people used to be excluded but now its certain people that nobody wants to hang out with...maybe that is worse..
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:24 pm

I think every guard has cliques of some form or another. And part of the reason that they are split up by class is that the older members are already friends and the freshmen are already friends from jr. high and tend to stick together. I think my guard is pretty good about not forming too tight of cliques although we do have them, but no one ever really gets excluded.
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

cggirl353
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cggirl353 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:48 am

In our guard there are cliques too but as far as age goes it varies within the cliques. We have a lot of vets and rookies that hang out together. So age is not a factor in our guard. I guess it just kinda depends on what people have in common. :idea: That is what I think creates these cliques. I don't want to be around someone that I have nothing in common with all the time! It would get boring to me. :zzz: I don't think it's anything

personal. It is just a preference.

:hug: Tawny :hug:

cgmime32
New Recruit
New Recruit

yep yep

Post by cgmime32 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:10 am

I agree that our group has the cliques but u hit it on the head by talking about interests. Sometimes u just get along a bit more with certain people and that's not a bad thing. I think that we've got a good understanding of what a team should be like in some ways and in others, we can always work on it. I mean, come on, it's only January. Granted that we've been spinning since August together but still, I have a really good feeling that things will be cool as we start to get better with our show...and better with ourselves... :cool2:

deanna
"Spin like they'll never see u again!"
"You want me to make it all the way over there...doing what?"
"You'd better karma cap that...cause it's a b**** when it comes back!"
"I can't fold the floor...I got asthma...*puff-puff*..."

cggirl353
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by cggirl353 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:48 am

I am so glad that you said that. It's true that as long as you all on the same page (as far as the reason you do guard and stuff) then there is nothing wrong with cliques. It's like family. We may like to hang with some of family more than others. :crying: The family thing just gets to me! Right now not everyone may see how close you actually are. It usually arises towards the end of the season. But hey, if you are one of those guards that are very fortunate to discover that you have a close group, congrats! :mrgreen: I know that I am very fortunate to be a part of one of those groups. :kiss: Yay us! :cool2: I love you all! Yes, even when I am yelling at you! :^^:

:hug: Tawny :hug:

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:44 pm

We have cliques but it's not really freshmen/old members, it's just different people.