Cirque du Soleil for Winterguard music?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

nhsflaggie04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Cirque du Soleil for Winterguard music?

Post by nhsflaggie04 » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:11 pm

Hi! This year my school's guard is using Cirque du Soleil 'O' as their music. Has any team ever used this type of music and if so, what songs did they use? 'Cause our song is 'Terre Aride' and it's kinda....strange.
Bye!

~nhsflaggie04

flagratgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagratgirl » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:18 pm

wow that sound cool. ive always liked the music in the shows.... hopefully we will see your show
WOP OT Mafia Game I: Townsperson champion

There is no beginning or end.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery.
Today is a gift.

LibertyPress
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LibertyPress » Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:27 pm

I heard somewhere that you had to ask Cirque Du Soleil permission to use their music and stuff. Has anyone else heard about this? I remember reading something about it here one time.
One mo again.

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:15 am

I used music from Cirque for a group I taught 2 years ago. And we did need to get permission and pay a fee to use the music. They have some great music .

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:43 pm

I saw a group do music from "Quidam" last year. I liked it, and I've always been a fan of Cirque's music. I want to say Oceanside HS did it, but im probably wrong.

Markideez

Cirque Music, BE CAREFUL

Post by Markideez » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:48 pm

I used Cirque music in 2001 for one of my Guards and The Cirque corporation found out through a search on the web. Try not to post anything on the web to give them proof against you to charge your team for using their music. I was sent a bill for $50.00 to have permission to use Cirque music because of its copywrite law. Watch out! :shock: Good luck this winter.

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:51 pm

I think El Toro did the music to Cirque du Soleil my freshmen year. It was really impressive :shock: and they totally dominated the division. :bow:
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

Mad City
Rookie
Rookie

Copy write law

Post by Mad City » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:07 pm

Yep,

They have a copy write law on their music. You can't use any type of recording of theirs or they get a cut. Wasn't WGI trying to get some type of break on that?

It's quite cool music! Even a better show! It truly is the best performance I have ever seen. I've seen Broadway shows, rock concerts, done film, and musicals, and it surpasses everything! I've seen two different productions. Both were awesome!
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done"

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:58 am

RifleDiva wrote:I think El Toro did the music to Cirque du Soleil my freshmen year. It was really impressive :shock: and they totally dominated the division. :bow:

That was the show I was talking about. We paid more than $50 though because they charge you according to the amount of times you perform it. And if you're going to WGI make sure you don't try to come in under the radar, if you make finals and are on that tape I'm sure the fine would be HUGE!!!!!

P.S. Glad you liked the show

nhsflaggie04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by nhsflaggie04 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:16 pm

Thanks for the warning! Our guard used the same Cirque du Soleil music in 2000 at WGASC and they didn't get a fine. But I think it's because our advisor knows people who work with Cirque. However, we're not taking this routine to WGI, only our large group (13 people) at the music is Pirates of the Caribbean. So...if any of you go to WGASC or Sharp International look for Narbonne HS from Los Angeles.

~nhsflaggie04

colorguardchicken02

Post by colorguardchicken02 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:56 pm

nhsflaggie04 wrote:Thanks for the warning! Our guard used the same Cirque du Soleil music in 2000 at WGASC and they didn't get a fine. But I think it's because our advisor knows people who work with Cirque. However, we're not taking this routine to WGI, only our large group (13 people) at the music is Pirates of the Caribbean. So...if any of you go to WGASC or Sharp International look for Narbonne HS from Los Angeles.

~nhsflaggie04
:wink:

RBV_Rifleline

Post by RBV_Rifleline » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:59 am

our music (RBV Varsity) this year is from the Cirque du Soleil show at Sea World. It's kind of weird...but awesome at the same time. :)

nhsflaggie04
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by nhsflaggie04 » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:20 pm

I hope I get to see your school's show. Our song/show is pretty freaky. Now that everyone in our guard can smile and perform, we dont't get to smile in this routine (it's really serious music). :D

RifleLineBritneySpearsLvr
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleLineBritneySpearsLvr » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:21 am

Watch out using Cirque music :duck: ... they have heavy Copywrite on all their stuff, especially their music! They do charge lots to use their music, especially when people are PAYING to get into guard shows where their music will be performed. And WGI having the most expencive spectator fees will get hit the hardest, as well as the High school or team performing to their music without permission!

Have a great Season Everyone!!! :dunce:

See you on the Court.
ahh Sh#@
Drop it like you mean it! lol

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:29 am

colorguardchicken02 wrote:
nhsflaggie04 wrote:Thanks for the warning! Our guard used the same Cirque du Soleil music in 2000 at WGASC and they didn't get a fine. But I think it's because our advisor knows people who work with Cirque. However, we're not taking this routine to WGI, only our large group (13 people) at the music is Pirates of the Caribbean. So...if any of you go to WGASC or Sharp International look for Narbonne HS from Los Angeles.

~nhsflaggie04
:wink:

was it really necessary to post a single smiley?? :?

It doesn’t exactly benefit the discussion, or have a purpose.
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".