PE Credit for Marching Band

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:10 pm

I understand the debate for color guard to recieve PE credit, we honestly do more push ups, crunchs, running, stretching and overall cardio activity then i ever did in PE. Some schools guards dont even recieve credit for guard as a visual performing art......i dont believe anyone can debate the visual performance aspect of color guard...the basic purpose of guards in parade season to be the visual section of the band.
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:38 pm

For the schools that do indeed have golf teams...then I'm not sure why they do.

My only idea is that golf is a recognized sport and thus qualifies as PE while marching band is not a recognized sport. Obviously, we can see marching band is more strenous then golf, but its the technacality of it.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

MinCook
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MinCook » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:42 pm

lol ever since i got into high school, i dont have regular PE anymore... It made me kinda pudgy :lol: but as for building strength... i have to do lots of push-ups because im a bad kid :jester:
There is nothing more scary than a kid with an internet connection.

mandapanda576

Re: PE Credit for Marching Band

Post by mandapanda576 » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:47 pm

My school offers PE credit to 9th and 10th graders enrolled in MB. We have, including the upperclassmen, a little under 120 people in marching band. Our school has a population of about 1800. We get 5 units per semester. And in some of the winter months, the underclassmen run the mile twice a week, as well as participate in the Presidential Fitness Test.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by clusknay » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:49 pm

formermarcher wrote:For the schools that do indeed have golf teams...then I'm not sure why they do.

My only idea is that golf is a recognized sport and thus qualifies as PE while marching band is not a recognized sport. Obviously, we can see marching band is more strenous then golf, but its the technacality of it.
Sport is sport FM. New thread though, I'm sure. And for the measure...golf is definately a sport (although, I don't think you were insinuating that it wasnt), as is marching band, which isn't always recognized as such, but I will save my rebuttal for the new thread :-)

When I marched in HS, I did receive PE credit, and therefore was only required to complete two years of actual "PE," due to the fact that I marched in band for 4 years.

altogirl06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by altogirl06 » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:39 pm

at our school all u need to do is take pe 9a once (summer school is best) and then your done w/ pe forever!!! if u take marching band all 4 years 8-)
Nothing is impossible with God!

crazypepsarecool
New Recruit
New Recruit

Band for PE

Post by crazypepsarecool » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:12 pm

Credits: we get 5 for band camp and 5 for marching season (one year worth)
Band siz: 210
Schoole Size: 3300 (funny thing the school is built for 1400, they added 2 wings of portables)

And Rancho Buena Vista gets a letter for band after 2 years
Kick Donkey!

VMHSTUBAGUY
New Recruit
New Recruit

PE credit

Post by VMHSTUBAGUY » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:19 pm

Yes
Band size: Around 85-90 winds
School size: 3000
Equivilant to one year of PE

...good luck...

Smiling_Marcher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Smiling_Marcher » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:23 am

My school gives P.E. credit to marching band members. We had about 180 members in Marching Band (including the colorguard if you were wondering); I don't know how many peeps we have, it's above 2000 if I'm not mistaken. Anyways, we get 5 credit's for it (1 semester's worth). Like most others we're required to take 20 credit's of P.E. Though in our school only 10 of the 20 can be done threw Marching P.E. So freshman year you have to take P.E., then sophmore and junior year you take Marching P.E. It's a nice balance of the two, though if you only do marching PE for 5 credit's it doesn't count. Thus if you join Marching Band your sophmore year and have it count as PE credit, but you don't do Marching Band the next year, your left with nothing and ya have to go to summer school to do PE (I've had that happen to friends). I personally would rather have Marching band take care of all the credit's so long as your in it all 4 years, b/c then i could have taken a different class my freshman year (like Spanish 1 being as it's required for collage) instead of PE (seeing how it's not).
The season may be through but the memories will keep playing.

drumma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumma » Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:39 am

band size: close to 300
school size: probly nearing 3000 by next year
pe cred for band: yip!

its great! cuz if you join pit, you dont have to march half as much as everyone else, only in parade, and you dont have to take PE! cept PE is a requirement freshmen year but then sophomore year you can write it off for band. and you only need 2 years. its great having an extra period to take something else besides stupid PE
-dani
fhs percussion captain

"the sucking is out" <-WE MISS YOU RICK!!!

G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D
Mallets 02/03/04/05
Pit Captain 03/04/05
Bass #5 Summer 04

sesm_basstrombonist

Post by sesm_basstrombonist » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:49 pm

Credit:No
Band size 10(I crap you not last summer that was all we had)
School size: under 300