Attention Web Masters

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

How many people in color guard also play instruments?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 13, 2002 7:27 pm

I'm In Color Guard and Play an Instrument!!
33%
I'm just in Color Guard
67%

Total votes: 3

masterphatjd
New Recruit
New Recruit

Attention Web Masters

Post by masterphatjd » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:27 pm

I am In Lhs Marching Band and Color Guard. But I also make web sites. I made the LHS web sites. I just want to see if there are any other web masters out there. And If there are please reply. Tell me about yourselves and where you are from. And if you can please criticize me web site. Which is www.marchinglobos.org. Thank you.
Jonathan Varela
Web Master
LHS Guard 2000-2003

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Attention Web Masters

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:23 pm

masterphatjd wrote:I am In Lhs Marching Band and Color Guard. But I also make web sites. I made the LHS web sites. I just want to see if there are any other web masters out there. And If there are please reply. Tell me about yourselves and where you are from. And if you can please criticize me web site. Which is www.marchinglobos.org. Thank you.
OK, you asked for it! :wink: I have been designing websites for many years and my comments are only meant to give you insights into how to approch web design, not as a put down, I promise. :)

First, why does the Flash version only link to HTML pages and not to more Flash content? It kind of defeats the purpose of using Flash for the front page doesn't it? There should be a good reason the use Flash. It make the navigation easier? It organizes and presents the content better? Need an interface to a database? You are an entertainment content website? So, what is your reason? If your reason isn't good enough, do you really need Flash?

Second, the HTML front page does ot fit within a 800X600 screen resolution. Big mistake, over 50% of all web surfers browse at that resolution. Same mistake causes big problem in the appearance of the scores page, too many blockquotes. Photo of the band on front page is too large in file size (149KB at 640X480 pixels). You forced the photo to a smaller display size using the HTML width and height parameters instead of resizing the photo and optimizing the compression rate. When I ran the photo through Adobe Photoshop I got the file size down to 39KB, that is a huge download time savings.

Third, the band photo page, the photo has a bad URL. It is being called from your computer's hard drive (src="file:///Charis38/Photos/DC97/MtCarmel2002/AUT_4005.JPG") instead of the web server, oops!

Forth, the "Band", "Boosters", "Results" and "Instructors" pages do not have any title headers at the top of the page. Yet the "Links" page does?????

Fifth, the calendar is cool except that the visitor must put their cursor over the date to see the event. Aren't you asking the visitor to do too much work? You are supposed to supplying information TO them, not making a "hide and seek" game for them to play. Make the info visible for all the dates and create some other mouseover effect instead.

Sixth, when publicizing your website, let people know who you are! To someone not from Littlerock, what meaning would "LHS" carry? Absolutely nothing! Always explain what LHS means, don't make us guess!

I hope these hints help you make the best website you can! Good luck!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

masterphatjd
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by masterphatjd » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:51 pm

Thank you so much for that.
I don't have anyone to criticize my work. And without that I will never get better. So I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will use the comments you gave me and put the to good use. And thanks again.
Jonathan Varela
Web Master
LHS Guard 2000-2003

nizmo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nizmo » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:46 am

www.mchsband.com

if u need anything, lemme know. i believe Bandmaster's covered everything...

John K
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by John K » Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:41 pm

Hello there, I am the webmaster of the Downey website. Nice to see someone else doing Carmen this year. :) I used the layout I had last year cause I was too lazy to make another one, but someday, I will have one. Plus, they don't offer SSI ad FTP. :(

You have a nice site there. Just go off Bandmaster's comments, since I don't see anything else wrong.. Except.. I dunno if it's just me, but that green font on the HTML page is hurting my eyes. :? Other than that, nice site.

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

nice

Post by Cole167888 » Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:59 pm

nice site i like it
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:17 am

cool site
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004