What are you suposed to do when you have....

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Music

What are you suposed to do when you have....

Post by Music » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:57 am

What are you suposed to do when you have people in your section that are just jerks to everyone in you section just because of the instrument they play?

The section leader is just as bad as the others that started this "trend". They think they are all that and a bag of chips and it's driving everybody in the section crazy. We have tried talking to them, ganging up on them as a whole section, and talking to our director, but nothing works?!

Why me?! :cry:

I just want to beat them to a pulp, but then when I think about it it's wrong.
Stephanie
J.W.North Blue Star Regiment 2002-2003 Pit
2003-2004 Drumline Tenors
Go Clarinets!

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:46 pm

Director was no help, eh? Wow, then you'll have to be more specific about your predicament, since a lotta guys who figure their "God's gift to drumline" can act like huge jerks in a lotta ways.

btw, I notice your signature line says you play tenors, but also includes the line "go clarinets!" - wonder if that's what they're pickin on?

Shorty41
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Shorty41 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:14 pm

.mnh
Last edited by Shorty41 on Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubidoux HS: Bass 2~

brandon fox

Post by brandon fox » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:42 pm

nicole, do you honestly think you should be saying something like that on a public forum? If you have a problem with someone in the line, then it should be taken to an instructer, not in a post on the internet where everyone can see. Very immature, especially since you have been told numerous times not to post anything on the internet.

playclean1

Post by playclean1 » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:34 pm

brandon fox wrote:nicole, do you honestly think you should be saying something like that on a public forum? If you have a problem with someone in the line, then it should be taken to an instructer, not in a post on the internet where everyone can see. Very immature, especially since you have been told numerous times not to post anything on the internet.
right on,,,, you were paying attention,,,,,,,,,, :)

internet,, that thing is still around,,,,H.J.Simpson

al

PercussionAndAllThatJazz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PercussionAndAllThatJazz » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:46 am

If you have a problem with someone in the line, then it should be taken to an instructer, not in a post on the internet where everyone can see.
Well, where else can she go? If she's said that she's already talked to an instructor and what she has already done isnt' working, what can she do?

Anyhow, approach the people one on one. Don't do it in a group, and don't do it while you're angry or anything. Keep a cool face, be honest and don't let them get to you. Follow the section leader (not by being a jerk, but by being a good player) and don't let their comments get to you either. Prove them wrong and be the best at what you do.

Hope I've been of some help!
-Resa-
Impulse DM 2006

MalleTragic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalleTragic » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:20 pm

"Lead by example"

Always a good quote. Talk to the instructors, and directors, but leading by example is the best advice I can give.
Villa Park High School (02-06)- Drumline Captain
Pacific Symphony Youth Orchestra (04-06)- Principal Percussion
Cleveland Institute of Music (06-10)- Undergraduate Timpani/Percussion Performance

Waterhead
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Waterhead » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:11 pm

Well I had a problem like this this year with our 4th bass. He bugged me an everybody else on the line but eventually as the season progressed things got better. He eventually appologised and so did we an everything was jus fine and dandy. I think you outta do like what percussionandallthatjazz said to do. Jus ask em if you can talk to em in private for a sec, not at a practice or a rehearsal or anything like that jus on your free time. An talk to em, talk things out, thats always the best way to approach a problem. :)

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:40 pm

i think u should smack them HAHA jk

hmm we sometime have this problem at my school but the drumline is a seperate family from the band (like a white trash version) so when the drumline has a problem we solve it

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: What are you suposed to do when you have....

Post by formermarcher » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:39 pm

Music wrote:What are you suposed to do when you have people in your section that are just jerks to everyone in you section just because of the instrument they play?

The section leader is just as bad as the others that started this "trend". They think they are all that and a bag of chips and it's driving everybody in the section crazy. We have tried talking to them, ganging up on them as a whole section, and talking to our director, but nothing works?!

Why me?! :cry:

I just want to beat them to a pulp, but then when I think about it it's wrong.
Hey-
This would have done well in the student leadership/life forum. Anyway, I'll throw in my two-cents here.

Lets take this bit-by-bit here:
First of all, the whole thing about being jerks to people based on what instrument they play. I assume you mean either other instruments other than drum line/pit...if you mean within the drumline, well what I have to say goes for both scenarios.
Most bands will have this...you know, instrument bashing. My old school used to have it all the time...they still do, and it was eventually resolved by the director, after the students had tried. In your case, you've tried everything and it just keeps on coming back.
When it gets as bad as that, I think it becomes more than just based on sections. It sounds like this group of people has gone beyond section bashing, and now consider themselves on top of the program as the undisputed "gang".
And with the section leader being as bad as these people...that might actually be throwing the wrong idea to the people. If a section leader, who was chosen for their ability to play and lead, does something...then it becomes right to do, right? That is most likely thier train of thought.
But why on earth would a section leader do this??? Sounds like the section leader has a bit of a problem with power. And people that end up like that normally crave just one thing...attention.
They want attention, and the more you fight against them, the more they will fight you back.
Deciding not to beat them to a pulp was a very good idea. Violence rarley solves any problems...it just makes things worse. Another thing...if you respond violently, you are giving just what they want...more attention.

My suggestion would be to try to ignore this group of people. Once they see that no one cares about what they say, they'll eventually give it up. Try that for a bit and see what happens.

As for the section leader...I think this is out of the student's hands. I would recommend going up to the director and have them actually talk to the section leader one-on-one.
Hopefully you'll manage to pull through this.
If there is anything else you need, please do not hesitate to PM me.
Good luck and hapy new year! :jester:
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

tetzlaffdrummer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tetzlaffdrummer » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:43 am

she said she did talk to the director and i have had this problem too in my drumline only everyone has a huge ego problem with the exception of a few. (Thats cause their underclassmen. J/k) A junior cant play for crap and is on the snare line getting yelled at constantly. (She cried her way in the line) The section leader sucks at his job and we are totally undisiplined and talk way too much. We already talked to the director and one of our instructors is trying to deal with the problem too. The other i think thinks he can deal with the problem which i hope is true. No one can stand the people i speak of because they tick us all off. Lately i dont think there is anything you can but let the instructor be aware of it as well as the director. I talked to people one on one and it only helped to make it worse so i gave up and just hope that next year me being a senior will be able to make sure that this doesn't happen. Yeah it sucks. We could of been ten times better. Heck we had all the tools to be somewhat close to Etiwanda and im not kidding. My school has the best program i have ever seen but ever program has their own problems and its just something you have to deal with.
2001 - 4th bass (Troy)
2002 - 3rd bass(winter)
2002 - 4th bass
2003 - pit (winter)
2003 - 4th bass (El Dorado)
2004 - Bass Captain!!!!!

"Hail to the Mighty Troj"
"Do it for the Troj"

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:47 am

Someone once told me that in some bands, the leaders spend 80% of the time identifying the problem, and 20% of time actually trying to fix it.

In cases like this, you've clearly identified the problem...and tried to do something about it.
Now the question is, can you spend 20% identifying and 80% fixing? Maybe 10% identfying and 90% fixing?
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007