Bandfest Day #2--2 p.m. Field Show Review

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

1000 Charts
New Recruit
New Recruit

Bandfest Day #2--2 p.m. Field Show Review

Post by 1000 Charts » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:21 pm

I had the opportunity to see today's final portion of the 2003-2004 Bandfest at the Pasadena College Stadium. The last time I was at Pasadena College, the stadium looked much different. So I assume the had rebuilt it completely. The crowd was huge and there was standing room only. It was nice to see so many people from different parts of the country all reacting in unison for each band. Onto the review:

Pre-show activities began with a blues type band that sounded awesome. I missed their name, but I know I've seen them play at Disneyland. They played a variety of music that the crowd really enjoyed. They also had the Disney personalities that got the crowd going.

Pasadena City College TOR Honor Band
This band had new uniforms from the last time I saw them and they really looked good. I appreciated their musicality, but they didn't have much power.
They marched around 200+ winds and percussion, a dance team, banner group, baton twirler and some type of weapon group. Not much drill to say, but mainly stood and moved in-between songs to restage. The herald trumpet section though was outstanding.

Ambridge Area HS Band, Pennsylvania
This band had something unique that the others did not have. They had a full compliment of Steel Drums mounted on special carts that were built especially for them. Watch for these pans to be played in the parade! This group moved a little bit more than Pasadena City College, but they have a different type of show than most of the California bands. I just wish they could have mic'd the pans. They were hard to hear at times.

Clark County HS Band, Missouri
This band also came along way out to be part of the Rose Parade. You can tell they were excited about performing in Caifornia. They performed well, and had an excellent Drum Major. Their color guard used multi-colored square tubes to help accent their Broadway Musical variety show.

Central Carroll HS Band, Georgia
WOW! I had heard about Central Carroll, but they were one of the show stoppers today. What a brass section. They had the biggest impact out of all of the High School Bands. Musically, they played a "Georgia" show that was performed as if they were in competition. Mr. Brad Pearson wrote their music.
Brad writes music for Chino, Vista and Santa Margarita High School Bands.
I also noticed they had a California Drill writer on their credits. When the show was over, the band moved onto the track and performed a short impact to finish things off. They got a well-deserved standing ovation!
A Solid show indeed!

Valley HS Band, Des Moines Iowa
Valley HS red uniforms were a definite Cesario design. They were rather large, but did no drill at all. The guard was staged on the left side of the field for the entire performance. I think the crowd would have reacted more if they would have performed their drill. But we all know in some cases, it takes time to rehearse a group back into that mode. Musically, they were very enjoyable and had several excellent soloist. Their musical program had a Spanish flair.

Santa Clara Vanguard Drum & Bugle Corps, California
It was so awesome to SO MANY BRASS PLAYERS. The corps was a mixture of the A and B Corps and Alumni. The Color Guard did not perform, but was on the front side line cheering the corp proper on. They played several selections from some of their glory years and boy did they have a great sound. The corps marching style is impeccable, and you could see that as they walked out onto the field. This was a standstill for them, but Vanguard in any setting is a class act to see and hear!

University of Michigan
I have never seen this band live, so this was my first viewing in person. They are amazing! What a powerhouse. They performed their pre-game show first and moved an "M" form back and forth from left to right across the field. They than moved and began their half-time performance. They were so musical, but had the power of a drum corps. Their drill was also contemporary. You would think that most Big-10 Bands would not have a show like this one. There percussion section is also something to watch. You can tell that they have experience in this group. You can see the students of this band love to perform. They also received a standing ovation. Congrats Michigan on a incredible band!
Last edited by 1000 Charts on Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Bandfest

Post by JLGORMAN » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:37 pm

I am glad you found the University of Michigan Band to be the great Band that it is. However, you do not give Big 10 Bands much credit. If you have never seen the great Bands from Minnesota, Illinois, Penn State and of Course the BDBIL (Ohio State) you have missed much. These Bands are not only great musically, they are entirely enjoyable to watch. It used to be that we got to see the Big Ten Bands every year, then the ___ BCS came along and we got such Bands as Miami of Florida and Nebraska. Enjoy this great Band during its time in Southern CA.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:47 pm

I saw the University of Michigan band and USC's band at Disneyland on Monday. I didn't know RCC was there till I saw all the RCC people walking around with jackets.

I know I'm from Southern California but I liked Michigan's sound better. Reminds me of the great musicianship of UCLA unlike USC.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:53 pm

wow, wish i couldve seen SCV :(

Sweathog
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Sweathog » Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:36 pm

"I know I'm from Southern California but I liked Michigan's sound better. Reminds me of the great musicianship of UCLA unlike USC" -UCI Mike

Mike,
I too am a fan of the University of Michigan Marching Band, in fact my school recently adopted their fight song. That having been said, I could not disagree with you more. Dr. Arthur C. Bartner has a degree from UM and first modeled the Spirit of Troy musical and marching style after that of Michigan and with Tony Fox's contemporary arrangements created the band of today. So the bands share similar roots and traditions. However, to claim that USC lacks muscianmanship is wholly without merit. The Spirit of Troy may not follow the mold of Corps bands such as DCI Bands and UCLA it still maintains a level of decorum and musical style. The styles may differ, but both are musical. Earth Wind and Fire is just as musical as Bach or Motzart. When Gershwin first put jazz into the classical concert hall he was labeled unmusical but over time his music was widely accepted and praised in fact, it is now heralded as one of (if not) the premier American composer of the 20th century. So the next time you think to diminish the reputation of an established collegiate powerhouse marching band, please remember that it takes time for people to realize that music is meant to bring together and envoke emotion, whatever emotion that may be, not to cause a rift betweens marching and playing styles.

Joel Swedlove

2001-2003 ML King High Majestic Corps Alto Sax
2002-2003 Principal Bari Sax King High Philharmonia

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Rose Parade Participants

Post by JLGORMAN » Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:31 pm

I agree that Dr. Bartner and the USC Band got a Bad Rap. Across the United States the only Band in the PAC 10 that is considered of any quality is the Spirit of Troy. Sorry folks, UCLA is not in the same league. And the previous writer is correct, the USC Band Was patterned after Michigan. To be honest, the USC Bands prior to Art Bartner taking over stunk. The marching Band numbered about 110 and could not play their way out of a paper bag in the late 60's and early 70's before Bartner became director in 72. No they are not a Corp Band (many of us are not impressed by Corps), of course neither are most of the great University Bands. With the exception of USC, most of the PAC 10 Bands to include UCLA are under 200 strong . they not only look weak, they sound the same way when they are on the field with Big 12 and Big Ten Bands. (ie Washington State and the Pride of Oklahoma (RB 2003)

I do not understand people who should be happy that the Spirit of Troy has represented the Southern CA area throughout this nation in a professional and quality manner, being so critical. They like the Trojan Football Team deserve better.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:05 pm

myvelouria94 wrote:wow, wish i couldve seen SCV :(
Sorry... here you go! Enjoy!

Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster