Questions....

Topics covering the dance, drill team, pep squad and baton twirling scene

Moderator: Bandmaster

Gottaluvguard15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Questions....

Post by Gottaluvguard15 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:36 pm

I know it's odd.... but is there anyone here that can do a really good "tortutay" (sp?) I can't do it right and I wanted ta know who is capable of doing it, if you know what I'm talking about....

CaptainKiki
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CaptainKiki » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:05 pm

You mean something like a "torjutay" (Uhh... yeah, my spelling's pretty busted too)... AKA: "Jump turn"....

What about them?

If you're asking what to think about in order to make them look good... Think about pulling up your center, squeezing your behind :oops: , straightening your legs, and pointing your toes!
Woodbridge High School
2003 - "It Spins Us Around": (BE THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER! Not the Air Conditioner)
2004 - "Pacific 231": (GAME ON!)
2005 - "Master of Suspense": (In the RIDER)
Color Guard Co-Captain 2003-2005
Class of 2006 :)

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:58 pm

ANd you have to use your hips and shoulders to create the turning movement in the air (ideally you should enter the air facing the direction of travel, then turn in the air and land). YOu should truly sweep (battments tendu) to the front lifting you off the ground your legs pass each other in the air and there is a quick turn (180 degrees). At the top of the arch (when you stop going up before you start coming down) there should be an additional extension from the legs creating a beat with the arms in correct placement and the torso extended, the hips and shoulders square (and of course toes pointed) and the landing is on the ground-most (i know its not a word - the leg closest the ground and the opposite leg from take off) with a plie and support of the torso and fee leg in back.
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

Gottaluvguard15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Gottaluvguard15 » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:07 pm

Wow!! kewl you guys actually know what your talking about!!!! yay!! other pplz dun even know wut it is!!!!! thanks so much for yaz help.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:11 pm

I have a few more tips for ya:
When you land keep your upper body straight, and don't lean forward. It's difficult but it look soooooo much better that when you're looking at the ground.
Don't forget basic landing tecnique; land softly, toe then ball then heel, and make sure you plie. If not, you can really hurt the knee you land on. I know the people above said this but I cannot stress it enough, because if you don't do it correctly you can get hurt trying to land on only one foot.
I know it's a lot to think about, but don't forget your arms! You can have great leg extension but if your arms just flail it ruins the effect.
Hope I've helped!

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:54 pm

I always thought it helped to start with a chasay (does spelling even matter?) before the torguetay. I can't do my left ones but my right ones are okay. I know doing scissors kicks helped with getting them higher.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

Gottaluvguard15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Gottaluvguard15 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:51 pm

Ok, heres another odd request. Everyone please post here the real spelling of all these funky French dance moves' names!!!!! ( "Tortutay", "Sa-shay" ect.) Or a guess as well.....

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:06 pm

Sashay = chassé
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".

Gottaluvguard15
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Gottaluvguard15 » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:35 pm

Wow, someone actually responded!!! It's been like over two weeks since i last posted about that dance moves n stuff..... thanks!! i feel special.

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:30 pm

sorry for the wait, i dont read this section regularly...let me know if you need to know anything else though, i set it up so that i will get emailed if someone replies to this thread :D
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

My milkshake brings all the boys to the board and they're like "itz btr ten urz".

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:42 pm

tortutay, this is all greek to me, lol. I guess I'll just stick with the other forums.

Matadork05
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Matadork05 » Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:36 am

A couple of years ago we had a dance final and we had to describe the dance moves that our instructor was doing....the problem was that we had to WRITE them down....my paper was a bit interesting to read im sure. I took spanish, not french so i didnt even have the slightest clue how to spell anything.

Pecet? peke?
pov-u-ray?
lame duck? lol
shanay?
sotay?
-Reigning Miss NCBA-
Guard Alumni

sokkerboie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sokkerboie » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:10 pm

Tourjete = turning leap
Jete = to leap
Grandjete = large/full leap
Saute = (yes just like the cooking term as it is named for the quick bouncing action that some food makes when it is sauted - think of how water bounces when you drop a drop into hot oil....same idea with the dane move).
Talent is not only a blessing, it is a burden, as the gifted ones will soon find out - Vince Lombardi

MechAnt
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MechAnt » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:05 pm

Tour'jete - A Switch Leap- Kick 1 leg up and Pivot in air while switch your legs at the last second.
CVHS Rules!!!