How hard were concert band auditions?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Psychodelica

How hard were concert band auditions?

Post by Psychodelica » Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:11 am

Just comparing schools here...Mine were pretty easy. Basically, if I weren't playing bari, I'd be on first alto. In symphonic. And I'm a freshman...Maybe it's just me...

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:59 am

First off, I would like to welcome you to the World of Pageantry Forums, seeing that this is your first post. :D Now back to the topic:

For our auditions, it usually went pretty well if you knew your scales, rudiments (for drummers), and you can sight read well.

Hoshwa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Hoshwa » Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:21 pm

we have to knoe 48 scales.
and play a piece.
this year: postcard.

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:38 pm

48 scales...wow! For our auditions (when and if we have them) we're asked to play scales to the best of our ability and I believe also a section of music from the piece we're playing. I'm not quite sure though because I haven't had to audition before.
OHS '01 - '05

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:04 pm

Here's what our groups have to play, Hoshwa mentioned part, but I'll expand:

Symphonic Band:
• 12 Major Scales & 12 Natural Minor Scales
• Audition Piece

Wind Symphony:
• 12 Major Scales, 12 Natural Minor Scales and 12 Harmonic Minor Scales
• Audition Piece (Deerpath Dances by Holsinger)

Wind Ensemble:
• 12 Major Scales, 12 Natural Minor Scales, 12 Harmonic Minor Scales and 12 Melodic Minor Scales
• Audition Piece (Postcard by Ticheli)

We're having auditions when we get back from break.

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:08 pm

Wow, you guys do a lot for auditions! I didn't have to audition this year, but for my band, auditions usually consist of playing three scales, a required piece, and sight reading.

I was wondering if any of you have ever done a "blind" audition. A few weeks ago, my director decided to audition the flutes in my band for chairs. We did a "blind" audition. Everyone except the flutes stayed in the band room. All the band members were facing the front of the room, and then a flute would walk into the band room from the back, and stand in the back, where we could not see them. Then each flute would audition. Everyone was handed a judging sheet, and we judged each flute, and then they were seated. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ace » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:55 pm

Wow, that's so cool man. I wouldn't mind doing something like that it sounds cool.

Our auditions are pretty simple. We play the twelve major scales and arpeggios (or however you spell it) then we do some sight reading and last we play this easy articulation excercise. I'm in wind ensemble this year and I'm playing both percussion and flute which is cool but at the same time it sucks. It sucks for me because no matter how good my audition is I'll be getting second chair. I'm not trying to put down the second chair part because it is just as important but c'mon man who wouldn't want first. But I get second chair because the the current first chair girls are "seniors" :? . They're not the best.......actually they're more like a standard flute player. I can be just as good as they are but because it 's a two-intrument thing that I'm doing, I get stuck with whatever's left. Oh well. Anybody else got this kind of problem?

MCclarinetdude wrote:Wow, you guys do a lot for auditions! I didn't have to audition this year, but for my band, auditions usually consist of playing three scales, a required piece, and sight reading.

I was wondering if any of you have ever done a "blind" audition. A few weeks ago, my director decided to audition the flutes in my band for chairs. We did a "blind" audition. Everyone except the flutes stayed in the band room. All the band members were facing the front of the room, and then a flute would walk into the band room from the back, and stand in the back, where we could not see them. Then each flute would audition. Everyone was handed a judging sheet, and we judged each flute, and then they were seated. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this.
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Wow, that's so cool man. I wouldn't mind doing something like that it sounds cool.

Our auditions are pretty simple. We play the twelve major scales and arpeggios (or however you spell it) then we do some sight reading and last we play this easy articulation excercise. I'm in wind ensemble this year and I'm playing both percussion and flute which is cool but at the same time it sucks. It sucks for me because no matter how good my audition is I'll be getting second chair. I'm not trying to put down the second chair part because it is just as important but c'mon man who wouldn't want first. But I get second chair because the the current first chair girls are "seniors" :? . They're not the best.......actually they're more like a standard flute player. I can be just as good as they are but because it 's a two-intrument thing that I'm doing, I get stuck with whatever's left. Oh well. Anybody else got this kind of problem?

MCclarinetdude wrote:Wow, you guys do a lot for auditions! I didn't have to audition this year, but for my band, auditions usually consist of playing three scales, a required piece, and sight reading.

My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Our auditions are pretty simple. We play the twelve major scales and arpeggios (or however you spell it) then we do some sight reading and last we play this easy articulation excercise. I'm in wind ensemble this year and I'm playing both percussion and flute which is cool but at the same time it sucks. It sucks for me because no matter how good my audition is I'll be getting second chair. I'm not trying to put down the second chair part because it is just as important but c'mon man who wouldn't want first. But I get second chair because the the current first chair girls are "seniors" :? . They're not the best.......actually they're more like a standard flute player. I can be just as good as they are but because it 's a two-intrument thing I get stuck with whatever's left. Oh well. Anybody else got this kind of problem?

My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:10 pm

Wow, wonder what went wrong? 3 posts????

We have a scale at random and a piece that we play, usually our march, and a sight reading piece. Not that hard. My frosh year I beat 2 seniors and got 2nd chair out of about 10 or 11.
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com