Posting marching band mp3s on the internet?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Frankfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Frankfan » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:19 pm

Huh? A copyright infringement occurs when you use the copyrighted work of another--exact copy or no. Reference the case in the 70's where George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was deemed derivative of the hit "He's So Fine" from the 60's. Harrison, I believe, had to pay substantial penalties.

Frankfan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Frankfan » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:22 pm

Taking a picture of a car is not at all like driving the car. I'm using the analogy simply to illustrate the permission/usage spirit of the copyright law. Obviously, the analogy can't be used to infinite conclusions.

Wildbill
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Wildbill » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:35 pm

Reference the case in the 70's where George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" was deemed derivative of the hit "He's So Fine" from the 60's. Harrison, I believe, had to pay substantial penalties.
George was robbed!
BEATLES 4 EVER

Wildbill
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Wildbill » Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:39 pm

I was also going to post CSULB as an answer to the disbanded marching band question. I went there in the 70's (yes, I am that old) as did my wife (she's old too, but don't tell her I said that). They were a very good band.

My daughter is a freshman there this year and plans on playing in the pep band second semester. She told me there is talk of CSULB starting the marching band back up. Can anyone confirm this?

Wildbill
BEATLES 4 EVER