Maybe
31%

Total votes: 13

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

LP/O Field Band???

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:43 pm

What do you say about LPO being a field show band? We all say yes, but our funds say no. We don't have enough money to do it, but with enough encouragement, I might be able to get my BD, (President of NCBA), to think more about it. Tell me what you think!! :D
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:01 am

that would be awesome. It would also be a lot more work:) I really want to do field too, but our band director doesn't want to. If you don't have enough money to do it, maybe you could add more large scale fundraisers. We have two major fundraisers, our Gift and Wine Auction in december, and our car show in april. Good luck :P
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:51 am

its not that we dont have the money, rather its a place to practice.
All our fields are being used on a constant rate, so there would be no set place to practice.

Also, with half the band at Oroville, it would me mighty hard to get a good show down, no matter how good we are at street comp.

A good idea, but also a fruitless one.

MalletMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MalletMusic » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:33 pm

who? :shock:

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:26 pm

It wil be a lot more work if you do decide to add field. I think it would take away from your parade band as well as make insanely long days doing both street and field. Good luck with whatever you decide.

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:51 pm

myvelouria94 wrote:who? :shock:
The Las Plumas High School and Oroville High School Alliance marching band.

woo.

thatoneguyeh?

Post by thatoneguyeh? » Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:52 pm

i dunno. the las plumas oroville band is good on street becuase they have a little bit of discipline, but not that much. i don't think that they'd be able to pull off a succesful feild show band, becuase they don't have the commitment.

nice idea,tho. :lol: too bad it sucks in all actuality :flush:

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Easy

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:40 pm

thatoneguyeh? wrote:i dunno. the las plumas oroville band is good on street becuase they have a little bit of discipline, but not that much. i don't think that they'd be able to pull off a succesful feild show band, becuase they don't have the commitment.

nice idea,tho. :lol: too bad it sucks in all actuality :flush:
Thanks for your opinion, I'm sure you are being blatenly honest but I believe that we have a lot of discipline. Even when we don't focus we still win. I wonder where we've gone wrong. I think you don't like LPO. Are you scared of us? Hey guys what do you think?
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com

Paul
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Paul » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:15 am

There are a couple of bands in the NCBA that are meant to strictly be what they are! Fairfield and Benicia are right where they belong as Parade/Concert bands as are Lynbrook and Saratoga field bands! Las Plumas/Oroville HS's have the potential to be a healthy Parade/Field band in the tradition of Foohill(P)HS and Folsom HS!

Sidenote to 'ILL~BE~BACH'...CALM DOWN dude! If you keep up the arrogant attitude on how superior Las Plumas/Oroville is you might make a couple of enemies on this board! People on this board can get really sensitive and defensive!

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:39 am

Paul wrote:Sidenote to 'ILL~BE~BACH'...CALM DOWN dude! If you keep up the arrogant attitude on how superior Las Plumas/Oroville is you might make a couple of enemies on this board! People on this board can get really sensitive and defensive!

I whole hartedly second that :wav:

*thinks your going to make an enemy with Stratton*

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:35 pm

Let's calm down, folks. No bashing, please (referring to post I deleted).

Just FYI: Las Plumas/Oroville had an "optional" Field band back in the early 90s. The marching band members were not required to do field, jsut street, but 60-70 kids each year made up the LPO field band. They fared pretty well, usually placing in the top three in the lower divisions.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:53 am

OK, I've been trying to stay out of this but...

1. No, LP/O is NOT, repeat NOT, going to have a field band. I appreciate the people in the band who are the ultimate "band geeks" and would do band 24/7 if possible (its one of the MANY things I love about the band...like the people who's cell phones ring to the tune of our last march...which has to be the ULTIMATE in band geekdom!-just wish I could get mine to do the same...)

But time/money/etc just would not allow it...or if we did do it, the results would not be up to what we think of as LP/O standards.

We can only practice after school, not before, that means that the 3 dozen kids in our band who do fall sports/cheerleading/jobs etc. would BE OUT of the field band. Why would we want to do field show with 1/3 of the band missing?

I appreciate the desire to be "outstanding in your field (show..that is)"..BUT

Personally, I think the band enjoys doing concert & parade comps and doing it pretty well. Lets leave it at that.

JCYS

dreams&jellybeans

For the love of the band

Post by dreams&jellybeans » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:52 pm

You guys are awesome. You seem like the kind of people who are in band because you love music, not just for the grade and the trips. I wish more people were like you. BUT, you have to know your limitations, especially on a public board like this. If you have an idea for your band, take it up with your director first. Posting it on the board and asking the opinion of all except the all-mighty director most likely won't get you very far. Plus you might make a fool of yourself and your band while doing so. Well my point is...think before you post PLEASE!
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. --Shakespeare

Spyder
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spyder » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:03 pm

yes, i agree, that is very cocky. take it up with mr s next time sandi. dont make us look like cocky jerks.
no longer dealing with high school ^_^

"If it doesnt hurt your not doing it right,"-Darrin Byrd

Director
New Recruit
New Recruit

Street BANDs and BAMs!

Post by Director » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:17 pm

It shows a real lack of respect for your program AND for your director for you to put such a posting.

SHAME on YOU!

If you have issues with NOT doing a competition field show take it up with your director NOT here!

Be great at what you do, give it your all, and stop ANY "the grass is greener" or "what if" garbage.

I have no knowledge of your program, but working for a great and musical street band is no small thing. MANY members of fine field only bands would LOVE to hit the streets.

Your director deserves your effort and support, not your second guessing.

Get musical, and get your attitude in check or, join some activity where you can sit on the bench!