Review: WBA Championships Finals (AAA/AAAA)

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Review: WBA Championships Finals (AAA/AAAA)

Post by airons0678 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:19 am

Western Band Association Marching Band Championships
Buchanan High School Stadium
Clovis, CA
November 22, 2003

Fresno was freezing! From morning to evening the weather was chilly. Nevertheless, the skies were clear, the wind was calm, and over 60 of the best high school marching bands in the state faced each other for a chance to be the best of the best. I arrived at the Buchanan High School Stadium early in the morning. This giant cement building could not be more perfect to hold the last Class AAA/AAAA show of 2003. During prelims, I sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed the "ride." Sitting near me during prelims was Eric Cymanski, Clovis High School's former director. It was fun to compare and contrast our thoughts that day. He had some intriguing perspectives on the bands, the Championships, and life. When prelims was over, I knew I would need a blanket to survive the cold that night. Even though I was wearing two layers of socks, long pants, a long sleeved shirt, a sweater, a heavy leather jacket, a scarf, and a hat, I was still freezing my butt off! So I asked the two friendly ladies selling programs where to buy one. They helped me out bigtime, but since I was former east coaster, I thought I could "take the cold." Wrong! A lesson for those who think they can "take the cold": Don't be stupid! (Bundle up people!) After prelims I wanted to meet some World of Pageantry forums people, so I made my way to the Ruben S. Ayala bus site to meet "Wild Bill," "Mr. Bill," director Mark Stone, and other folks. What a friendly, fun, and classy group of people! (Thank you for making me feel so welcomed.) When I made my way back to the stadium I realized it would be smarter to have a blanket than to be without. Too late! I used my backpack instead which worked uhm...ok-ay.

Here is my review of the 14th Annual WBA Marching Band Championships Finals for Class AAA/AAAA:

***Begin Review***

Cerritos High School
Cerritos, CA
Repertoire: "Sinfonia Voci"
Comments: The musicians on the field were in a diamond form on the field. The auxiliary, in purple, were located inside the diamond, and some were located on the outer perimeter of the it. The pit gets this show on the move, with cheerful sound. As the pit plays, the wind players are switching places within the diamond. The opening movement of this group was lively, with some dead on notes by the trumpet section. Okay, some flat sax feet. Keep those toes up! Way to cut through the air when appropriate, mellophones. The crescendo near the end of the first movement was alright. Maybe increase the drama, there...yes, just like the second one you guys did before it ended. Excellent work! I like the "splattering" pose at the end of the first movement. The second movement, ha! Sweet. The third movement sounded awkward from the start, but in time it seemed to get in the groove. The cyber-sounding pit during the drum feature was a joy to listen to, and now I was more! The ending was hyper, and good enough for me. Was it good enough for you? Yeah, they defined the WBA finals band. The introduction had the hook to reel you in, and went along like a snowball getting bigger, and bigger. Tuning was likely their biggest issue. (Some mellophones did not seem lock in on the similar sound.) Nevertheless, there were aspects of this unit that were super, like the percussion that made a huge cross-check when it was their time to shine. What a way to end the year.
My Score: 74.90 (15th)
Actual Score: 82.12 (15th)

Valley View High School
Moreno Valley, CA
Repertoire: "Eye of the Storm," an original work by John Meehan
Comments: In what was a show before the show, those on the field, in pod-like forms, swayed side to side. When the pit starts up, some of the wind players peel out from their pods, jazz running with their arms at their side, as if to take off. Nice, nice, nice. Synthesizer, I want to hear you more before the giant wave of sound. Excellent toss and catch by the guard. Ha ha! The line of wind players that tease their line by going in and out at the synth queue was great. The ballad had some tight flute notes, and...where did that trumpet sound come from? Yes, the trumpet solo bouncing off the cement wall was perfect. I like that effect. Okay, the multiple hip rotating mass form looked sloppy, somewhat. The "SOS" drum spot rocked! Oh baby. The woodwind soli took my hand and pulled me in, further and further. The change of speed did not hinder this band. Watch it, trumpets. The spaceship-landing synth sound during square that moved across the field with a spinning circle inside it was the moment that had me. This group performed with power, passion, and pizzazz. Geez! They made every thing they nailed look so easy. This band seemed to turn on their championship switch for this, their last big performance of the year.
My Score: 78.70 (12th)
Actual Score: 83.09 (12th)

Nogales High School
La Puente, CA
Repertoire: Music of David Holsinger
Comments: The white, yellow, and black clad auxiliary matched the colors or their flags at the start of the show. Awesome flag work mixed with dance work when the show began. The music was killer. Keep that blend going all, yes! The double-time with single-time marching combo was graceful, in that it sounded and appeared like an airplane sailing off. Oh man! Tell me that was not a tear in the sound close to the end of that part. (The winds and drums seemed to both "flam it up.") My goodness, the ballad was gorgeous. The male and female auxiliary members contribute to its beauty by adding a kind of sexual energy. And that low brass sound...well done, baritone soloist, well done. This band had individual marching to die for, and these kids showed it off quite well with those white pants and white shoes. The end of their show clicked, but I did not like the company front voila! It just seems like I was cheated out of something that could have been so, so great. The band had the touch in music and marching, but where was the exclamation point to end it? No crazy drill? No loud upon loud music that sticks to you like glue? No explosive auxiliary connection? Hey these kids put the pedal to the metal, and cruised to success. Their hard work paid off, and it sure did show. But sometimes when you are cruising, you need to "deviate" for the radar find you.
My Score: 78.00 (14th)
Actual Score: 83.06 (13th)

Fountain Valley High School
Fountain Valley, CA
Repertoire: Music from Carmina Burana
Comments: Strips of white tarp to make "Xs" were placed around the field. Also, a number of pvc pipe props forming an "X" were erect around the field. Super opening notes from the brass and the choir. (Yes, they had a choir!) Eh? Alright, extend the final notes. (The first statement did not have me convinced.) Okay, accelerando, okay! The rifle toss by the auxiliary was not caught with the confidence they needed, I thought. The last notes from that segment, by the way, rang well with the voices. The oboe solo was constructed one block at a time, and the end product made me smile. The small, double-tounging brass pod was right on. Be delicate with those pinwheeling X's performers! Alright. Not bad. The forms remained well intact. The final movement seemed to have a timid entrance by the woodwind section, but man could those tubas wail when they had to. (Outstanding location, too.) Hello, great drill moves! The collapsing edges unto the wholesome X-form locked. Oh yeah. Fantastic full sound that stopped full. Their musical marksmanship rocketed them. And you know, I was impressed with their marching, also. This group has improved leaps and bounds since their first shows. We could say this band peaked at the right place and the right time. Their show was damn good. Where they end up does not matter, becase they did the job and did the job very, very well.
My Score: 79.90 (11th)
Actual Score: 84.74 (10th)

Rancho Cucamonga High School
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Repertoire: "Metallic Blueprints"
Comments: The lunge by the auxiliary, and the flip of the flag by the auxiliary soloist had no flaws. The percussive notes by the wind performers fit! Wow. You listen to this group and think they are off the mark when they are on the mark. This is just a glimpse of the tough, tough notes they put out there. The energetic start of the secomd movement that sort of "dissolves" is a neat effect. And dissolving this segment further are three trumpet soloists atop metallic platforms. The low brass player or players that decide to extend themselves are surely welcome. The percussion and auxiliary show? Incredible. One of the auxiliary members holds her leg in the air on top one of the moving platforms and then proceeds to jam with rifling flair. Okay trumpets, you sound a little flustered near the end. Maintain a steady jut. Now this is showtime, with three platform guard folks in winning stance. This little offbeat show grinds and grinds and forces you to take heed despite its "difference." What a positive difference!
My Score: 78.10 (13th)
Actual Score: 82.94 (14th)

Oak Grove High School
San Jose, CA
Repertoire: House of Cards
Comments: A red trail of tarp framed the band, with what looked like the face of a playing card propped up near the back corners of the tarp. The trumpet fanfare has little movement, but executed precisely nevertheless. In a jiffy, this band propels. I was fond of the rotating blocks. Their music is laser like, rarely missing. Way to capture the hearts and minds of the audience at the end of the first segment, making that chevron form ripple with movement from the middle to opposite sides. The red tarp "frame" is broken several times by the marching members, which was cool. (I interpreted this as them not "limiting" themselves.) Ha ha! I love the sideways shuffle by the winds, as the percussion goes off! That arc needs to be there, band. Yeah, the music is king, but without your queen you are wounded. This band is relentless when they play. They have a fine, fine sound. Easy there, trumpets! (They almost made me take back what I just wrote!) Okay, that diamond is shaping up soundly. Outstanding. This band takes advantage of their sound.
My Score: 81.00 (8th)
Actual Score: 86.19 (8th)

Trabuco Hills High School
Mission Viejo, CA
Repertoire: "Turbulant Air"
Comments: The lopsided "X" form this band made was close to perfection. What a way to let the judges know that they were for real. The music this group forms is dark and deep. But they need a firm grip on this fine sound. At times it seemed like the low sound did not keep up with the pace, that "typical Holsinger" pace. Fabulous shut down of sound in the rhombus, I felt, compared to the others. The vertical line of wind players heading to the side B inzone is straight, and the members "left out" making the line dissolve was a great effect. The monstrous brass sound that disappears, and then that woodwind sound that appears...aaah! The backfield speed zone feature roars, but wait 'till they face front! Trumpets, killer fingers. The "flashing" diamond of movement (with wind players in a diamond from moving in opposite directions from exterior to interior at different velocities) alongside a grandiose company front puts a fork in some of their friends. This band gives me the impression that they do not have weaknesses. Sure, there was some music out of tune, and a form here and there out of whack...but they cover it up very, very well with their presence.
My Score: 80.50 (9th)
Actual Score: 83.57 (11th)

Buchanan High School
Clovis, CA
Repertoire: Silk Road Journeys, including Quiet Village, Mongol Warriors, Yellow River, Emperor's Army, and Great Wall
Comments: The first form of this band was a giant wave of both winds players and color guard, with its starting point near the front side A goal line, then up to the crest near the side B 50 yard line, and then downwards not as dramatic. The wave collapsed downwards, giving way to a long curvey line that stuck well. The saxophone calls and then the trumpet calls were well defined, but what else is going on, high brass? (Make sure those attacks do not slip.) I like how these kids made up for their faulty steps by the way they put a cap on the first part of their show. Wonderful composure, trumpet soloist! Wonderful composure. I was moved by the up and down swells of sound. Listen to each other, trumpets. (I *hate* to pick on you, so pick it up, pick it up!) The auxiliary was executing fine. The rifle guy nailed that. Oh man! Do not go overboard, low brass folks. The hearty trumpet fanfare is spectacular. Their show was not reminiscent of the Buchanan shows I have seen in the past. The music made them. I was disappointed with the visuality, though, and especially at the culmination. But what they lacked in total marching they made up for with marching technique. The greatest appeal of this band was how they drew you in with their luring music, creating an atmosphere which, this time, was ancient China. Buchanan "builds" atmospheres well. (Remember Rome, and Greece?) Good stuff, Buchanan. Good stuff.
My Score: 80.20 (10th)
Actual Score: 86.43 (7th)

El Toro High School
Lake Forest, CA
Repertoire: "Eclipse" Music of Robert Smith and David Gillingham
Comments: A sideways "S" form and an engaging mellophone soloist stood out. There was another mellophone soloist, and he or she sounded like the other one, but with some flaws. The music kicked into high gear really soon, with a sound that was oh-so-good. The first movement has a bouncy sound, full, and in tune, loud. Good. The second movement was just as powerful as the first. I like the arm stretch snap sideways at the end of the ballad. The third movement has auxiliary yelling "hooh!" and the rest of the band yelling "hooh!" at certain impact points. Wow. They keep driving and driving the sword as deep as deep can be! They seem...unstoppable. The last part of their show is huge, but I feel that it was tacked on. I have no problem with an ending that was reminiscent of the ending the 1993 Star of Indiana Drum and Bugle Corps used, but...make it match the rest! This is a creative ensemble that needs a creative finale. They were Class AAAA band competing in Class AAA. (Really, they were that good!) I can not wait to see what they have in store for us next year.
My Score: 84.80 (6th)
Actual Score: 86.46 (6th)

Thousand Oaks High School
Thousand Oaks, CA
Repertoire: "Echoes of Camelot"
Comments: This band brought medieval times to the field with looming castles, drum majors dressed up as knightly knights, and a "pitfull" of peasants. The trumpets handle their horns okay...okay. Now the woodwinds are a different side of splendor, absolutely incredible. In fact, the woodwinds strut their stuff a few times. The woodwind quartet with band members doing the maypole dance, is genuinely atmospheric. The piece of music where the page "Merlin" is opened is mysterious sounding at first, and then builds, and builds. Smoke came out of the boulder where the sword was pulled. The lurching brass players, exaggerating their forward strides, makes sense. They looked menacing, and were menacing! (Super effect!) The alto horn solo gels nicely with what the rest of the band is doing. The auxiliary members battling each other with axes is climactic, and when the "dead" one is carried off, I have to hand it to this group...they made me believe in what they believed. This show was filled with maximum emotion, yet some tiny technical issues hurt them. But no matter what Thousand Oaks does year after year, they do not bring you to their show...they bring their show to you. Their evolution in to the theatrical stuns.
My Score: 83.00 (7th)
Actual Score: 84.89 (9th)

Upland High School
Upland, CA
Repertoire: "Fragments"
Comments: This band may be facing different directions on the field before the show starts, but is more organized than they look. The minimalist woodwind sound, mixed with the bold low brass sound, is enough to leave you in bliss. The auxiliary holding on to their rifles with one hand and staring down the audience is just perfect. Holy smokes! These kids are on fire. The sound swells, and therefore pulls you in and pulls you out at the right times. Now, the second movement, I thought, was not as gripping as the first movement. I do not think it has much to do with how they performed, but rather much to do with what they performed. It just did not seem to have any important relevance in terms of how I felt. Now, the movement after this stuff...magical. The sections of performers crouching, and then the crouching as a whole, delivers a harrowing punch. This band possesses amazing confidence in style. From the momentous reflective first notes, to the frantic sounds from the movie hit "Signs," this band was a chameleon of the best sort.
My Score: 85.10 (5th)
Actual Score: 91.78 (4th)

Fred C. Beyer High School
Modesto, CA
Repertoire: "The Struggle" Music: Kaval Sviri by Peter Liomdev
Comments: Huge gold-and-silver balls were lined up next to two lines of auxiliary members and one line of wind players. The battery hung out on the back sideline. The flute trio is eerie, leading to disarming, random, multiple 360 degree turns by the other wind players making their way across the field with music that clings. The ball movement across the field, accentuates the drill admirably. I like the "struggle" between one wind player pushing a ball one direction, while the auxiliary member on the other side tries to push the ball the opposite direction. Oh cool! The groups of wind players moving the balls around the field, and then making the balls a part of their arc from, is neat. By the way, the sound from their arc is great. The electro-drum-funk-element is *happening*, and the band gets down with it! (The drum beat has the wind players bopping their heads up and down.) The odd time siggy fails to stop them, and instead seems to make them a stronger group, and that rocks. Yes, they bring back the trademark running man move I love! The end of their show is classic Beyer greatness, with the "struggle" ended by members surrounding the spheres to equalize the direction push (portrayed by a ripping synth sound). This was one of my favorite shows of the day.
My Score: 87.40 (4th)
Actual Score: 91.75 (5th)

Ruben S. Ayala High School
Chino Hills, CA
Repertoire: Indian Summer, Falling Leaf, Cold Fog - Music by John Meehan
Comments: In the beginning, there was no sound, and the sly woodwinds make a sly entrance. To reflect this, up and down the members go, and end up in a crouch. And again they go with the crouch, with a sound that will melt the ear drums off all who hear. Phenomenal manipulation of sound with the turning of the bells of the horns. I like how my attention is suddenly diverted to the saxophones on side B, and then the trumpets on side A. This well-programmed show takes a turn for the best when the percussion does their thing for a brief while. And then...the beautiful re-entry that needed to be there was yes indeed there. Not bad. The field is full of the good stuff when the brass players play backfield and the woodwinds play frontfield. I appreciated how music complimented movement. The Steve Reich-ish drum feature was mesmerizing. Woodwinds, ha haaa! You have proven yourselves. Top job. Whew! Those jazz running flutes up front make their sets, and then the turn-arounds, and then the line-locking, and then...click! Yes! The last form freezes like a leaf, which then decides to fall, as a ripple of movement goes forth.
My Score: 88.90 (2nd)
Actual Score: 93.05 (3rd)

Mission Viejo High School
Mission Viejo, CA
Repertoire: El Salon Mexico
Comments: A tap of the snare drum here, and then the latin whines of the winds there, captures you in their world. Great hustle, sousies. The trumpet duet sounds like they are straight out of a mariachi band. (Awesome effect, guys.) As the winds players drift to the backfield, they punch their notes with no regret. This band is on top of everything they have to do to win. Killer rifle catches one after the other. (This Mission Viejo guard this year seems stronger than last year.) I can not express how much this percussion "invention" rocked. They crank out the gun shots from the speakers, and then the string sounds...man, those string sounds give me the shivers in a good, good, good way. A delightful piano sound leads to a whirlwind of fury, as the band turns up the heat with a drum line that drives, and a brass line that drives even harder. These people seemed like machines on the field, but they performed with just as much heart as they did with mind, and so the field was theirs.
My Score: 89.00 (1st)
Actual Score: 94.11 (1st)

Clovis West High School
Fresno, CA
Repertoire: A Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Moussorgsky
Comments: The wind players and battery percussion are in a two part wedge form on the field, while a line of auxiliary face a diagonal direction (of "intended" way) with knees bent and arms to the sides. The opening notes from this band are powerful and ominous. Oh my! A chain reaction of rifle and sabre tosses are exacto, my friend. Ooh yeah! How evil can that synth be? The drumline makes its way to the front of the field with ease when their time comes. The clanging electro pulses, followed by stellar drumming, and the heads of the drummers popping different ways, and...it can not get much better, no? (They were like Mission Viejo's twin up north.) The slower movement features a seductive flute solo, and a show-stopping bang from one group of wind players to another, and most effectively the wind players as one. The band lets out a deep "hooh!" before the four by four spot-switching-within-block goes on. At the end of the show, the wind players fade away in a block, leaving their masterful auxiliary in the spotlight, to try and leave no doubt who was the best.
My Score: 88.50 (3rd)
Actual Score: 93.27 (2nd)

***End of Review***

When the finals competition ended, it was decided that there *would not* be a full retreat for the awards show. Of course, there were those who were overjoyous, and those who were disappointed. The reasoning was understood, though. (Even I could not bare the cold much longer!) However, some bands had uniformed members take the field...probably seniors. The announcer professionally announced the awards, appropriately keeping everyone in suspense. When it was all over, there results showed winners and losers, but in the end EVERYONE was a true champ.

Here are My Scores compared with the Actual Scores:

Cerritos H.S., CA - 74.90/82.02 (15th/15th)
Rancho Cucamonga H.S., CA - 78.10/82.94 (13th/14th)
Nogales H.S., CA - 78.00/83.06 (14th/13th)
Valley View H.S., CA - 78.70/83.09 (12th/12th)
Trabuco Hills H.S., CA - 80.50/83.57 (9th/11th)
Fountain Valley H.S., CA - 79.90/84.74 (11th/10th)
Thousand Oaks H.S., CA - 83.00/84.89 (7th/9th)
Oak Grove H.S., CA - 81.00/86.19 (8th/8th)
Buchanan H.S., CA - 80.20/86.43 (10th/7th)
El Toro H.S., CA - 84.80/86.46 (6th/6th)
Fred C. Beyer H.S., CA - 86.40/91.75 (4th/5th)
Upland H.S., CA - 85.10/91.78 (5th/4th)
Ruben S. Ayala H.S., CA - 88.90/93.05 (2nd/3rd)
Clovis West H.S., CA - 88.50/93.27 (3rd/2nd)
Mission Viejo H.S., CA - 89.00/94.11 (1st/1st)

I welcomed the outcome. The judges had a difficult, difficult job to do, and did it. The top three bands were close. (Too close? Maybe.) But one thing is for sure: Mission Viejo had a show that in the end paid off big time. What a FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE this south Orange County band had. It was one of the best performances I have ever seen them do. Clovis West was close to Mission Viejo, but...I think Ruben S. Ayala was closer. Clovis West seemed to mimic Mission Viejo in some ways, but I felt their achilles heel was their show repertoire. Now do not get me wrong. I do think "A Night on Bald Mountain" is great stuff. But compare and contrast shows. I think Ruben S. Ayala had more General Effect to them. (Very few bands moved me the way they did.) But geez, the scores were tight! If anything, percussion dominance played a huge role in how each band did. I think Mission Viejo and Clovis West were better than Ruben S. Ayala in percussion. But when I write "better," do not think that Ruben S. Ayala was "worse." (Far from it!) It is simply a matter of best being bested. I truly believe quality of percussion can mean the difference between winning or losing in the Western Band Association, especially since percussion is added to the overall score. But what is more, it is percussion that vividly shows us timing, accuracy, discipline and effect. Remember Mission Viejo and the gunshot sounds coming from their synth? (That was way cool.) By the way, this idea of "percussion dominance" seems to be a California thing. In other states, like Texas and Indiana, the percussion seems to be more "thoroughly integrated" into the show, meaning they rarely break out of the woodwork to display their skills. Perhaps in the future, like drill teams, "drum breaks" will go out of style. Anyways, now that I am off on a tangent I can not get me out of...great work Mission Viejo, Clovis West, and Ruben S. Ayala. If any of these bands had swapped spots in the top three it would not have made that much of a difference. They were all great! So, congratulations to Mission Viejo for winning your second Western Band Association Championships, and congratulations to all the rest who have made this year special. My hope for next year is that more and more bands join the Western Band Association, and that more and more bands raise their "standards of excellence," so that this state thinks outside the box to be more nationally competitive.

I hope you have all enjoyed my reviews this year. Have a happy holiday!

Alan Irons
Fountain Valley High School Marching Band 1993-1996
Pacific Crest of Diamond Bar 1997
Nashua Spartans 1998-1999
UCSB Class of 2002
Last edited by airons0678 on Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoCalBandFan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Great Job!

Post by SoCalBandFan » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:18 am

Alan,

I actually woke up this early to go to work and finish a project and then I opened up this - oh well hopefully I'll still have it done on time!

Great Review as always! Thanks for taking the time this past year for all of your reviews. I know I speak for quite a few people when I say

Thank You!

jacjar1
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by jacjar1 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:27 am

Good Stuff Alan,

You always seem to capture the event, give an honest review and are supportive of all groups involved.

Maybe we all need to take a hint from you?

If I have not said it before great job all bands.

Congrats to Mission Viejo!! WBA 2003 Champions
Truth is not a theory..

jimwunderlich
New Recruit
New Recruit

your review...

Post by jimwunderlich » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:54 am

thanks, Alan. 8-)
Jim Wunderlich

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:10 pm

As always--any reviews I do pale in comparison. Thank you for taking the time and trouble and letting us in on the championships that we couldn't be at.

THANK YOU!!!

banana
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by banana » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:11 pm

THANK YOU for all the reviews you have written this season! i have enjoyed reading them all, and now that the season is basically over, i will miss reading these reviews as much as i will miss performing... until next year. :wink: i hope you will stick around for the years to come!
U-High!!!
'02 - Scheherazade
'03 - Fragments

InnocentBystander
New Recruit
New Recruit

Just Wondering

Post by InnocentBystander » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:05 pm

My hope for next year is that more and more bands join the Western Band Association, and that more and more bands raise their "standards of excellence," so that this state thinks outside the box to be more nationally competitive.

Alan, what does that mean? I'm not trying to instigate anything, just trying to gain clarification.[/quote]

Trumpiper
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Trumpiper » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:37 am

What are your thoughts on the results in individual captions?

Wildbill
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Wildbill » Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:30 am

Alan:

Wonderful job (as usual). I really do appreciate the time and effort you placed in compiling your reviews through this marching season. Thanks for a job well done.

Wildbill (Bill Klein)
BEATLES 4 EVER

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Just Wondering

Post by airons0678 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:09 pm

InnocentBystander wrote:My hope for next year is that more and more bands join the Western Band Association, and that more and more bands raise their "standards of excellence," so that this state thinks outside the box to be more nationally competitive.

Alan, what does that mean? I'm not trying to instigate anything, just trying to gain clarification.
Interpret this as you like.

-Alan

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:21 pm

Trumpiper wrote:What are your thoughts on the results in individual captions?
I thought the results were right on. But that is just me! (I let real judges do the real judging.) The panel of judges for the WBA Championships were extremely competent. Wayne Downey? Jay Bocook? The Whitcombs? It sure doesn't get much better than *that*. (I know Jay Bocook from when I auditioned for the Cadets in 1998 and 1999, and he really is a genius!) Let us thank the judges for their hard work! It could not have been a breeze deciphering who was the best of the best...but they did it, and did it well.

-Alan

CWQuadPlaya

Re: Review: WBA Championships Finals (AAA/AAAA)

Post by CWQuadPlaya » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:02 pm

airons0678 wrote:. Clovis West seemed to mimic Mission Viejo in some ways, but I felt their achilles heel was their show repertoire.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how Clovis West "mimics" Mission Viejo. In case you didn't know, Clovis West didn't see Mission Viejo at all until championships this year. Also, I'm sure the CW instructional staff has their own standards and goals that they strive to achieve each year, and do not attempt to imitate the styles of other bands--if that is what you are referring to. Nothing against Mission Viejo, however. I saw a video of their show from finals, and they have an amazing program (and the recap to prove it). It was close between the top three bands and I thought we all had an excellent season.

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Review: WBA Championships Finals (AAA/AAAA)

Post by airons0678 » Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:04 am

CWQuadPlaya wrote:
airons0678 wrote:. Clovis West seemed to mimic Mission Viejo in some ways, but I felt their achilles heel was their show repertoire.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how Clovis West "mimics" Mission Viejo. In case you didn't know, Clovis West didn't see Mission Viejo at all until championships this year. Also, I'm sure the CW instructional staff has their own standards and goals that they strive to achieve each year, and do not attempt to imitate the styles of other bands--if that is what you are referring to. Nothing against Mission Viejo, however. I saw a video of their show from finals, and they have an amazing program (and the recap to prove it). It was close between the top three bands and I thought we all had an excellent season.
Ah yes. I see. This part of my post was somewhat fuzzy. (Sorry!) Actually, when I wrote "Clovis West seemed to mimic Mission Viejo in some ways," it was intended as a compliment. Like Mission Viejo, you guys had a strong sound, killer marching, a rockin' percussion feature, and an auxiliary that was above average. (No wonder you guys won prelims!) I did not mean to mix identities, because I can see how that would be unfair. Mission Viejo and Clovis West *were* different, but had SIMILAR QUALITIES. Does this make sense? So, even though I referred to you guys as "The Mission Viejo of the North," please know that it just as well could have been Mission Viejo as "The Clovis West of the South."

By the way, congratulations. You guys did great!

Alan Irons
Fountain Valley High School Marching Band 1993-1996
Pacific Crest of Diamond Bar 1997
Nashua Spartans 1998-1999
UCSB Class of 2002