Capistrano Valley
Bloomington
Eastlake
Charter Oak
Saugus High School Marching Band
2000-2004

LosAl_tuba

Post by LosAl_tuba » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:56 pm

Saugus, we got close, only .25 pts difference. Good season everyone, I enjoyed every show I saw!
Pecking is Satan.

ClarinetGeek1506

Post by ClarinetGeek1506 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:15 am

Congrats Santa Margarita! You guys are awesome! You deserve it.

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:36 pm

:D I got to see Santa Margarita and i have to say that they deserved it. Even though it is hard to accept that we didnt win, their guard was great dealing with the wind, and the band played exceptionally.

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:40 pm

I don't know, I've watched the dvd over and over again, and I just don't see why Alta Loma didn't win. This isn't meant to be degrading towards Santa Margarita or anything, but I just feel like Alta Loma played harder music better, and marched drill that was equally difficult cleaner. I realize that Santa Margarita had their hour glass which is great for the GE, but musically and visually I would not have but Santa Margarita ahead of Alta Loma. I haven't had a chance to look over all the captions yet, but I do know that one of the visual judges had the visual slotted Saugus, Alta Loma, Santa Margarita, and the other judge had it Santa Margarita, Alta Loma, Saugus. I personally would have put Alta Loma in first, but that's why we have more than one judge.

Again congrats to everyone! To alta loma I loved your show, and your drum major, to Los Alamitos, YAY I finally got to see it, good stuff! To Santa Margarita, congrats, but really next time you win save your cheering until they actually call you as the winner, cheering when they call off the other band in second place is bush league.
2000-2004

1000 Charts
New Recruit
New Recruit

Your entitled to your opinion, BUT......

Post by 1000 Charts » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:46 pm

Watching a DVD over and over again will not change the fact that you have
a lack of knowledge of both music and visual show design.

You have to remember that the entire package is what wins a show. Not just one part of it. Santa Margarita had the Musical, Visual, Percussion, Color Guard and GE Impacts that the other bands did not have. Now that's not saying that the other bands in the division were not good. They were very good. The top 5 all had a chance at it.

And as for your cheering comment, have you ever been to DCI finals?
As soon as the 2nd place corps is announced, the crowd goes into a frenzy.
So what makes the SMCHS parent reaction different? Making a statement like you did is very immature. I wonder if your band director knows that you are making these comments. Do you know that by identifying yourself with Saugus, that you represent your band and school?

Having your own opinion is not the issue here. It's when sign the end of your post with your bands name. Not everyone may feel the way you do.

guardee101
Rookie
Rookie

Post by guardee101 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:23 pm

Very well said, 1000 charts!! Not only is there no problem with cheering, but that is how the big kids play (DCI). Opinions are fine, but there is no need to be mean about it. It definitely makes Sagaus look like a lesser school for your opinions.

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:12 am

Well, I must say that SMHS has had a great past couple of seasons. I had the pleasure of carrying their props out onto the field two years in a row at Chino by pure luck. They are a great group, and I enjoy their shows. Oh yeah, not to mention that they have a good director. who also by chance happens to write the drill for Chino. Congrats, and good luck in the future. Oh yeah, and Congrats to all of the groups.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Your entitled to your opinion, BUT......

Post by saugusbandgeek » Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:58 pm

1000 Charts wrote:Watching a DVD over and over again will not change the fact that you have
a lack of knowledge of both music and visual show design.

You have to remember that the entire package is what wins a show. Not just one part of it. Santa Margarita had the Musical, Visual, Percussion, Color Guard and GE Impacts that the other bands did not have. Now that's not saying that the other bands in the division were not good. They were very good. The top 5 all had a chance at it.

And as for your cheering comment, have you ever been to DCI finals?
As soon as the 2nd place corps is announced, the crowd goes into a frenzy.
So what makes the SMCHS parent reaction different? Making a statement like you did is very immature. I wonder if your band director knows that you are making these comments. Do you know that by identifying yourself with Saugus, that you represent your band and school?

Having your own opinion is not the issue here. It's when sign the end of your post with your bands name. Not everyone may feel the way you do.
First of all you know nothing of my musical and visual knowledge, but I can tell you that I have been a visual tech with another high school, and I've studied ensemble music for 9 years. Your assuming that because I'm still a high school student means that I have a lack of experience is very offensive to me because of how hard I've worked studying music throughout my life. As for the cheering, I have no problem with groups cheering I think it's wonderful, but I think it is very rude for SM's students to be cheering louder than Alta Loma's when it's Alta Loma's turn to enjoy the moment. I feel that when other bands cheer before they are actually announced it takes away from the good feeling the other band could have and reflects very negatively on the respect the students from SM have for Alta Loma's program I will say that I found it offensive.

I do realize that it's the overall package that wins, but I felt that Alta Loma had a more difficult show musically and that they played their show more musically. Visually I think it's a much tougher call. I think that Santa Margarita marched drill that matched the theme of their show more, but Alta Loma marched drill that was very well coordinated with their music and cleaner than the other bands at the show. I'm not saying that SM isn't very talented, but I felt after watching the shows, taking into account the design of the shows, the difficulty, the rythmic control, the musicianship, the form control (couldn't tell how good individual technique is from the dvd) that Alta Loma had the stronger performance on Saturday.
2000-2004

1000 Charts
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 1000 Charts » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:27 pm

Again, you are entitled to your personnel opinion. But when you sign you name ending with Saugus Band title, you are representing your school and your director. No matter what we think of each others statements, that's the bottom line.

And as for your information, I was a witness to the events of this past Saturday and our views are completely different. And that's OK too. But knowing the SMCHS organization, the students of that band program are a class act. They would never intentially act in a particular way to insult or make another band feel badly. They have respect for all of their competitors. So you are assuming their attitudes based upon your peronnel feelings, not upon fact.

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:35 pm

I'm not saying that SM's students don't respect their competitors, I've just always felt that when a group cheers when it's a different groups turn in the spotlight that they present themselves as having less regard for the other organization regardless of their intentions.
2000-2004

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:32 pm

Since one member of this thread keeps inserting his foot into his mouth, I think it is time to lock this thread.

My congratulations to Santa Margarita on another great year, and a very well done to Alta Loma. I have to greatest respect for both programs and directors.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster