Am i the only one who..?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Soulquarian

Be more open-minded

Post by Soulquarian » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:53 pm

With RCC, you have to keep in mind that they are a non-competitive group. When RCC did compete, they beat everyone for over 7 years straight, and most of the competing bands dropped out of the events, forcing RCC to stop being in competitions. Most of the members have marched Drum Corps over the summer, and the guard and drumline do WGI. RCC for them is a time to entertain. Obviously, when you're competing, you don't experience the same things as when you don't. You're so caught up in beating others, being robotic, and concentrating on getting the best possible score. However, when you entertain, you're there for the audience. You're there to provide them with a smile, a laugh, or a quick shock of "wow, they're loud". Sure, there are no excuses for have marching errors, less emphasis on being clean, and many other things, but yet and still after being in the most important band competitions in the world (DCI), you need that little break. Their drumline and guard are preparing winter shows, while band members are auditioning to be a part of DCI corps, and they treat RCC as a chance to have fun. Have you forgotten what that is?

As for the whole age tangent, many of the members are not over 21, and for those ones that are, so what? Let them enjoy what they are doing. If age is such a big issue than money should be too. After all, it is no secret that the winning bands in the latter divisions have nice fat funds to make the most of their programs. While other bands struggle to get buses to go to various competitions, others get new uniforms, props, etc. just for that year's show. Their GE score gets higher while the poor bands stay in mediocrity. Seems a little more important than older members having fun in a non-competitive environment doesn't it...

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Rcc

Post by BlueStarMom » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:18 pm

When HS is over, and you attend RCC, you have an opportunity to audition for the Marching Tigers. This brings an opportunity to travel the world over, be in the Rose Parade, perform at all Disneyland parks the world over, perform in TV and major motion pictures, when a band is needed.

Gary Locke is a very exacting task master. My daughter learned 4 songs, start to finish, and had to perform with her group, before Gary, before getting the final OK to perform with them in Scotland.
Gary and Sheila Locke originally were Band director and drill/colorguard instructors at JWN HS.

I have no problem with the RCC Marching Tigers performing after a Field Show Contest. They are there for FUN and to ENTERTAIN the fans. Everyone can enjoy their performance, without worrying about scores, judges. Relax and take a deep breath, sit back and have fun. Do not let their laid back fun fool you. They work very very hard to make it look so easy.

If you want to travel the world, RCC gets invited usually during Christmas to perform somewhere in the world. These past somewhere's have included Paris 2002 Millenium Parade, The London Parade, and this past Spring the Edinburgh Easter Festival. A lot of practice went into meshing RCC and current high school seniors into a dynamite show. The Europeans are not used to seeing "American Marching". They loved RCC, known as the Riverside City All Stars. I was there, I know.

So anyway, a college band is very different experience from your HS experience. You can continue to practice your music, while attending RCC. If you are lucky enough, you may also get to see other parts of the world.
Last edited by BlueStarMom on Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueStarMom
:)

RifleDiva
Veteran
Veteran

Post by RifleDiva » Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:35 pm

Erin! You HAVE to come to a competition with me and see RCC's winterguard or better known as FANTASIA! I’m sure you will not be disappointed. And how can you be disappointed by the rifle toss to the moon and back? That was awesome! I guess your probably going to come bug me that you were more interested in the marching part of the program, but you know me I only saw the guard, lol!

So, now I get to give MY opinion, yay! I enjoyed RCC very much; I wish I could have seen the weapon line from the front, cause that's where I’m most interested. They had some really cool flags that even the bando's around me were impressed with.
c/o 2005

Love always hopes

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by laurab » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:04 am

airman wrote:Uh, lauraab...

I'm a band director. I not only didn't leave the field, I loved it so much, I enabled myself to make a living at it. I'm guessing here--are you a walk-on coach? Just think how much more money you would make, and how much more time you could spend with your students, if you had gotten a degree in dance education, or math, or whatever, and were able to earn your living teaching this activity you love so much. Why don't you go back and do it now? Maybe those four years when you were still performing with winterguard after high school could have been spent earning a teaching degree so you could teach full time--just a thought.

In order for me to earn my degree, however, I had to leave some of the activities I loved behind for a time so I could earn my teaching degree and do it forever for MONEY!!!! Fact of life.

I know this will be perceived as a flame--I'm really not intending for it to be so. Really--honestly--why don't you become a teacher? It's a great career.
I am a walk on coach, at three well respected schools. And, I think you'd be very surprised that our salaries are probably not so different. I also think you'd be surprised that if you broke it down to an hourly wage that I make quite a bit more. Believe me I don't envy the life of a band director. I see the amount of hours that it requires in addition to the hours a "regular teacher" would. It is that type of schedule that made me leave my career in hotel management (which is also a great career). But I want to be the one that raises my son. Not a nanny or a day care worker. So it may seem to you like I'm a loser or that I haven't "moved on" however, I see myself as someone who does make MONEY and can be a good mother. People get so caught up in the status and $$$$ of career they forget about the importance of raising thier children.

omooring

Post by omooring » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:24 am

I have been a band director now for 26 years. I believe that I can speak for most, if not all, of my colleagues when it comes to this issue. It is a very disappointing experience to watch a a very talented student musician put his/her instrument away after graduation from high school and NEVER play again. In fact, it is often heart-breaking!

Most music educators did not get into the business in order to produce professional musicians - this is a very rare occurance. Rather. our mission is, and should be, to create educated consumers of music. Music is a LIFETIME activity. This is why you see it being shared by people of not only every age group, but also by people from every walk of life.

I tell my students that once they are out of High School and college and are in the workforce, if they are inspired to spend one evening a week performing in an ensemble instead of sitting in front of the T.V., then I have been successful in reaching my goals as an educator. I applaud Gary Locke, Kevin Mayse, and Charlie Richard, and all who work with community ensembles for providing this outlet of expression!!! Those of you "old folks" playing at R.C.C. -- MARCH ON!!!! --- Oscar Mooring, Poly High School

formerpytdad

Post by formerpytdad » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:44 am

Ok. I'm gonna be a bad guy here. I've been around marching bands now for about 11 yrs. I'll admit I don't know everything about them. BUT of all the times I've seen RCC they have NOT impressed me that much. Ok Maybe in the first yr or two they did. But now? I don't think RCC does ANYTHING any better than any other "upper" (5A,6A) band couldn't do given the same $ and time they spend. So, to answer your question, nope I wasn't impressed.
PS. Loud does NOT make good :lol:

Cudarich

Post by Cudarich » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:08 pm

IF, it is true that those envolved with marching band should quit after so long and get a real job as some of you have put it, then any athlete who gets payed to play a silly game needs to put down the ball and get a job also.
P.S. LOUD DOES MAKE GOOD! :twisted:

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:40 pm

I felt the need to respond after reading responses from music educators about continuing music after high school. One of the main obstacles in recruitment are the burnt out band kids. I've talked to many potentials in the past couple years and they all freeze at the mention of band thinking it'll just be like high school band with the many hours of practice and deadlines. I applaud high school band directors for extracting excellence from students but an indirect effect is that many kids get burnt out.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:09 pm

formerpytdad wrote: I don't think RCC does ANYTHING any better than any other "upper" (5A,6A) band couldn't do given the same $ and time they spend. So, to answer your question, nope I wasn't impressed.
PS. Loud does NOT make good :lol:
You have every right in the world to not be impressed, but your motivation to not be impressed is wrong. You compare them to the "upper" 5A/6A bands and somehow relate money to what they do. I don't quite get it...RCC's function, if I'm not mistaken, is to be the "musical ambassadors" for not only RCC but for the entire city of Riverside. They are entertainers using the medium of marching band. I haven't like a few of there shows over the years, but I can guarantee you they were dang entertaining this past Saturday. VERY impressive--for what they do.

But I don't even think of using any kind of comparision with 5A/6A competitive marching bands and not being impressed because they don't do what they do? HANH?

formerpytdad

Post by formerpytdad » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:28 pm

Ryan,
It was not my intent to degrade RCC in any way shape or form. I just stated that I believe that a 5A/6A band could do any show RCC has done and do it just as well. In other words it was my opinion. As far as my referance to $ it was ment in the ability to purchase an equal amount and quality of instruments.

Band Mom
New Recruit
New Recruit

Rcc

Post by Band Mom » Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:13 pm

As for money spent in RCC. They had to borrow tubas.

They get paid for movies and TV shows but that only helps keep fees and the cost down on the sudents.

RCC is a show band. All of the people in RCC have participated in High School Band competitions. Not all came from a 6A band. Each division has been represented.

guardlady
New Recruit
New Recruit

Another oldie, chiming in.

Post by guardlady » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:49 pm

I agree that at a certain point you have to move on. But, it is all up to the individual person as to how they do it. Initially, when I stopped performing music and guard, I just coached guard. Then after a while, I got tired. I took a year off, had a baby. Withing the year I missed coaching guard so bad, I had to go back. I got a lot of crap for it, since I wasn't so young anymore, the time factor, not being a good politician, the whole thing.

It has been worth it. White I "moved" on, I "missed" out on one of my biggest rewards. Teaching! I found that I truly enjoy working with youth, teaching and cleaning the basics, writing a show and the way they get excited when they "get it". I wouldn't have changed any of this for the world. I make little concessions for my family that I didn't used to. But it is all worth it.

I am in the process of going back to school to finish my music degree so that I can do it all day long, instead of 2 nights a week.

That's what worked for me. I am still way involved, oh yeah. Have I moved on, in my own way, going back to school and all.

Thanks for letting me ramble, just wanted to get it said.
"It's just music without the Guard!"

BttrDrummerThanU
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BttrDrummerThanU » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:21 pm

Ok....Ryan I'm gonna help ya on this one...

Airman, we have something in common. I'm a band director too. This being my 3rd year in the field. I went to college. I got my BA in 4 years and got my credential in 1 after that. I'm 24 years old and already have a career. Not many people can say that. I'm pretty far ahead in life.

In addition to my regular "gig" i also coach at a high school. So I am fully and completely dedicated to my passion.

Now, at this point in my life, I would love the opportunity to just play my horn in a group. It's sad to say, but since I've graduated college, I havent had the chance to play my horn in a group. That's sad. I spent all my younger years mastering my music skills on my horn, now I don't have the chance to play it.
Given, I do practice at home and stuff, but I don't play in a group.

I would love to get involved in a community band, or a community college band, or anything...i actually considered joining DREAM (Impulse Senior Corps)....why you may ask,....BECAUSE IT'S MY PASSION!!! I WANNA PLAY!!

TO all those "OLD PEOPLE" in RCC. KUDOS to you. They have passion. They have dedication. Those are people that are "old" and still find time for their passion. I say passion, because not any schmoe who just likes music would bust their BUTT in the heat day and night to learn a show.

If I could join RCC, I would. But guess what. I have a job, I have moved on! But I would like to "Move back" and enjoy some of the finer times in life.

I'm sure Ryan would agree. There is nothing more satisfying than pointing your horn straight to the box and playing that last note at a quadruple forte....snapping your horn down and hearing the sounds of fans screaming and hands clapping. Thats why the "old people" do it....passion and joy. Congrats to them.

Justin
Last edited by BttrDrummerThanU on Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

License plate frame

Post by BlueStarMom » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:24 pm

I am involved as a band parent. My Ca Lic. is personalized with BLU*MOM (Blue Star Mom). My license plate frame says J W North Blue Star Regiment Riverside.

BlueStarMom
:)

invertedcheeze
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by invertedcheeze » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:24 pm

Ok, moving back to the original topic of conversation. Who cares how old they are? If they wanna march, they should march, regardless of age. Why? Because marching rocks, and as said earlier it is a passion within someone they cannot get rid of. More power to the older members of the band. My beef is this, they just weren't very impressive and i was just wondering if i was the only one who felt this way?