Guys on the guard

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Some Guys In Guard History

Post by Mr Pageantry » Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:49 am

:wav: The New York Knickerbocker drum & bugle corps from the south Bronx.. deep in the heart of New York City... carried some very hefty and huge flags in the 60's and early 70's... including the City and State of NY Flags... The American Legion Flag and several others... the only people who could carry those flags were young men.... We also had about 40 'flash flags' back then which were lighter nylon on 8 foot aluminum poles.... We had a rifle squad that was a working squad.. not just a guarding squad... then one of our alumni a guy named Harold or Skip Olah finished his stint in the military... he had been on a military trick drill team.. he rejoined us and became the first 'Boy Rifle' He taught a number of other guys to spin and march.. and gained quite a bit of attention at field shows when he tossed his rifle some 40 feet into the air and always managed to catch it.... eventually the Knicks added young men to the Flag section and the rifle section... Many years later... I was doing the Hawai'i Invitational.. the first competing color guard in Hawai'i patterned themselves after the Madison Scouts... They formed the 'Jets' Color Guard and marched at the Hawai'i Invitational... among the marchers were several guys who are now teachers in Hawai'i.. One of the founders of the Guard was Eldon Seta.. who was just named educator of the year in the Hawaiian State School system... he is at Moana Lua HS as Director of Bands...Fred Murphy is at Mililani HS as Band Director... and Bobby King marched with Madison and now has TWO independent Color Guards in Hawai'i... a number of other young men brought the house down when they performed to music from West Side Story.... OK.. I'm getting old....

Happy Holidays to everyone Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

Mad City
Rookie
Rookie

Guys in guard

Post by Mad City » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:10 am

Back in my day, (and that is a long, long time ago! Ah, correct me if I'm wrong Logan people.) Like Logan, you could only be male in our rifle line. We had 24. Yes 24 guys! It was a macho thing. Girls could be in the saber or flag line. This was back when it was all separate. We had 22 sabers and about 36 flags. I'm from the Midwest. We had about 250 in the band.

I'm all for guys in the guard. Most guys create a strong masculine image that you can't get with ladies. Depends on the show I guess. I've always wanted to start an all male guard out here in LA. Any takers???
"If you want something you've never had, you must do something you've never done"

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:42 pm

why are you asking if my name is Jill, and how do you know her?

RifleDiva86
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by RifleDiva86 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:44 pm

No, but I plan to be in it next year. why are you asking?

coachcheryl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by coachcheryl » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:04 pm

No, but I plan to be in it next year. why are you asking?
I have a daughter on the Raiders Open and I was wondering if you knew her. I am in So Cal with a daughter on Mt. Carmel's World guard, too.

captain-lo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by captain-lo » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:47 pm

yeah, we have three guys on guard..oh wait our newest guy who joined late in the season has stopped coming to guard, so Im pretty sure were down to two guys again. I like having guys on guard, they make life more easy going when everyones in a bad mood and stuff. also, they make cute dance duets possible, and can add to themes of shows, just overall i think guys add alot to any guard. :o

pinksmurf749
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pinksmurf749 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:06 pm

we dont have any. its kinda good but bad. they have a lotta muscle strength. and it would be fun. but then we wouldnt b able to change infront of each other and stuff.
colorguard is the best!

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:12 pm

Trabuco hasn't had any boy guard kids. They'd cause a little drama and it would probably be bad for him. Some have seem interested but they couldn't make clinics or they had problems. It just varies. Our school is VERY image associated and although our guard is good, we get beef. There has only been one male cheerleader in our school history. I don't know if we'll ever have a boy on guard.
Last edited by flagchild06 on Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:22 pm

Another problem with boys on the guard, besides changing and rooming and stuff, is that when there is a guy on the guard, that's who everyone looks at. So he would have to be really really good, and there would kind of have to be double standards and all that non-fun stuff.

MsNikki
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MsNikki » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:51 pm

I instruct at a middle school and for some reason the director won't allow any guys into the guard. There was interest, but they were told no. I don't understand why they can't do it - there were guys in middle school guard way back when I went there. Heh heh. WoW, it's been a while. :? Anyway, I personally would like some guys in the guard - it would add to whatever theme we did. Looks like we'll have to borrow some boys from percussion ... :lol:
World Of Pageantry Champion!

Miss A
New Recruit
New Recruit

The director said no?

Post by Miss A » Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:12 am

I am a Middle School Band Director and I am appalled that a director would deny any student the educational experience of being in color guard. :drop: On top of that, I am not sure that it is even legal to do so. It would violate Title IX to tell a girl that she could not be in drum line so I don't see how it is any different for a boy in guard. Maybe they are afraid to deal with all of the supposed "difficulties" of having a guy on guard. (We had no problems what so ever.) I had 5 guys last year and it was the best thing that has ever happened for my band. They took a bit of grief, but most of it ended once we performed the show (Thriller) in front of the student body. To deny guys the opportunity to participate shows ignorance on their part, and an unwillingness to actively promote the activity.
Biscuit !!!!!!!!
Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

QuiksilverDude17
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by QuiksilverDude17 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:40 pm

This year there are going to be guys on the gaurd.Probably about 5/6 guys are going to try out (they say)I don't see it as a bad thing having a guy on gaurd...although its a known fact that if there is a guy on the gaurd with a bunch of girls...the audience will most likely be looking at the guy.If the guy's uniform was guyish (no tights or anything...) then there would be a lot more guys on gaurd...a couple of the guys that are going to try out are BETTER than all of the girls (and savanna has a really good reputation for pagentry) i can't wait untill court season.... Me and my best friend are trying out. :D

PaleSeptember

Post by PaleSeptember » Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:55 pm

Mountain Ridge Guard has never had any males on the team. Yet this year for winter guard we have 3 guys. Go figure.
"As embers of the summer lose their breath"

dmode23
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by dmode23 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:42 pm

We have more guys than girls on my team.

Becky :D
True, i talk of dreams,
which are the children of an idle brain
Begot of nothing but vain fantasy.

captain-lo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by captain-lo » Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:34 pm

What guard are you from becky?