Am i the only one who..?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

invertedcheeze
New Recruit
New Recruit

Am i the only one who..?

Post by invertedcheeze » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:28 pm

Im sorry, but, am i the only one who was not too impressed with RCC last night? Tell me.

airman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by airman » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:44 pm

They're loud, they're entertaining, they're NON-COMPETITIVE so some things won't be perfect...

What are you comparing them to?

My one complaint is that R.C.C. has an awful lot of "older"members who really should move on in life.

Other than that, I think they're great!

picplayer902

Post by picplayer902 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:32 pm

I'm always impressed with RCC. And while this wasn't the best performance of their's I have seen I still think it was awesome. 8-)

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Rcc

Post by BlueStarMom » Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:46 pm

Airman Writes:

My one complaint is that R.C.C. has an awful lot of "older"members who really should move on in life.

I consider this insulting to those dedicated RCC band members who have not recently graduated from H.S, and those who have recently. RCC has a wide and diverse population of students from HS graduates thru baby boomers and in-between.

What difference should it make to you whether or not there are band members over the age of 18 in the Marching Tigers? My daughter and I accompanied RCC on their Spring Break to Edinburgh Scotland. I had the opportunity to meet some of the "older" members. They are on hand to help Mr. and Mrs. Locke, and also they play for the enjoyment. Someday you will no longer be a teenager yourself. How would you feel if someone said that to you?

Think about it.

BlueStarMom

p.s. I am 47 years old, and I love music. Marching band has been a wonderful experience for my daughter (Class of 2003), and I enjoyed being a part of it.
BlueStarMom
:)

airman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by airman » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:17 pm

Uh...I'm not talking about "over 18". I'm talking about people who seem to hang on for 4, 5 6 and whatever years, or the ones who go away, come back, go away, come back. I think community college should be a stepping stone to higher education, not a landing pad. I know that after a certain point in college I didn't have the time any more to do the marching thing--I had to move on in life and my musical education. Practicing my instrument for juries and recitals unfortunately took precedent over getting to do the marching thing. I still miss it to this day, but it was time to move on. And my college marching band was no where near as active as R.C.C. Frankly, though, it's not that big of a deal, but it IS something that people in the know do talk about. Gary runs a great program--no question. It is one of the few things any one ever raises an eyebrow about the R.C.C. marching program.

Geez lady, I said I liked them. I also know a lot about the RCC program--you might be surprised to know exactly how much.

I don't understand why you brought up your age--and you said I was a teenager--thank you! I'm well past those years by several decades.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Re RCC

Post by BlueStarMom » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:31 pm

Hi Airman,

So you are not a teenager? My apologies if I thought so. :oops: That is why I mentioned my age to you.

I truly understand your viewpoint about RCC. Yes it should be a stepping stone to higher education, but does not always work that way. I do also understand how some RCC students seem to make it a career :lol: Sometimes taking 5 or 6 years is unavoidable.

I know many talented musicians at RCC. They are a very talented group.

Good luck. I look forward to more of your intelligent posts.

p.s. Just call me MOM, lady makes me feel really old! /color]
BlueStarMom

airman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by airman » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:44 pm

Taking 5 or 6 years is unavoidable? One thing that could help them to move on is to NOT TAKE MARCHING BAND FOR 4, 5 AND 6 YEARS!!!!!!!!! I'm sure Gary himself would agree.

Whatever. R.C.C. also has a wonderful wind ensemble and jazz band. Great program over there. All of you high school students should check out R.C.C. and all the great musical opportunities available to you at a low cost. Here's a news flash (probably) for some of you--you can be in jazz band or wind ensemble and not have to be in the Marching Tigers--or vice versa. You have a lot more flexibility along those lines in college. It is also possible to be working toward another major and still be involved in music. It's sad when the last day a student plays is high school graduation.

By the way, I don't work for R.C.C. I'm just an admirer of Gary Locke, Kevin Mayse and Charlie Richard.

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

RCC and Charlie Richard

Post by BlueStarMom » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:10 pm

Hi again Airman. It is me Mom. :lol:

I agree you do not need 5 or 6 years of marching band. The other music groups are a great way to stay involved in music.

I should have clarified that sometimes it takes more than 4 years to get a degree if you work and do not go full time. Igot my 2 year degree 20 years after I graduated HS...I got it at RCC.

By the way I took private flute lessons from Charlie Richard, when he was still studying for his degree at school in Texas. He taught at Cooper's Action Music. He is a great musician.

Moderator's note: font color burned my eyes
- [UCI]-Mike
BlueStarMom

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

"older people marching"

Post by laurab » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:05 pm

This question is to airman-
If you feel there are "older people " in RCC that should let it go, than do you also feel there should still be an age out for the world class in winterguard? I know of people in thier 30's and above who still perform. It is not making a career out of college but an enjoyable hobby to some. I know I did winterguard for four years after I graduated high school but I worked a full time job and taught at several schools as well. Your comments give the impression that these people wander around the campus all day for years and years when if you'd actually look into it you'd find that is not true.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:11 pm

airman wrote: My one complaint is that R.C.C. has an awful lot of "older"members who really should move on in life.
:x Oh give me a flippin' break Airman. What's with this kind of attitude. Who cares a person wants to spend time performing in a great ensemble and NOT "move on". I know that I used to pester Gary a few years ago because I had the performance bug hit me a few times and I wanted to try out for RCC's drum major position. I kept getting turned down because I wouldn't fit into the DM uniform! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously--it's awfully prejudicial of you to proclaim that "older" members should "move on". Move on where? And why??

You sound like Dan Acheson from DCI who recently stated that senior corps are made up of people that are "reliving their youth". SO WHAT???? My dad is 78 years old, and he's been at Pasadena City College playing tuba with their community band since 1987. Time for him to move on too?

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

Ryan's Dad

Post by laurab » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:23 pm

Ryan H
I think it is fantastic your dad still plays music with PCC I'll be involved in colorguard even when I need a walker to get around those show (I felt like I needed one in Fresno yesterday!) And I am not ashamed of that or feel like I can't move on. And I hope one day my son catches the music bug and gets involved as well. He loves coming to the shows! This activity is agless...and hats off to papa Turner and his tuba!!!!!

airman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by airman » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:24 pm

Lauraab said: "I know I did winterguard for four years after I graduated high school but I worked a full time job and taught at several schools as well."

But lauraab, you did move on to some thing else, correct? Why aren't you still doing winterguard now? I just don't see someone who is actively pursuing a college degree and career to have more than a couple of years in them to devote to the high powered and active marching tigers! When I got into the meat of my major, I didn't have time for much else except going to classes, practicing, studying and my part time job.

lauraab said: "Your comments give the impression that these people wander around the campus all day for years and years when if you'd actually look into it you'd find that is not true."

lauraab, I personally know people who closely match the description you just gave! However, it is not obviously ALL or even MOST Marching Tiger members, as if it were ALL of them I'm sure it would cause quite a scandal. As I said to BSRMom, I am more familiar with the RCC program than you might suspect.

Let me say it again, however: I admire and respect the RCC Marching tigers and Gary Locke. Gary is a big boy, he can take one MINOR criticism that happens to be MY OPINION.

laurab
Support Staff
Support Staff

I HAVE NOT MOVED ON>>>AND I'M PROUD OF IT!!!!!!!!

Post by laurab » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:42 pm

Airman-
I do not perform anymore because I have a husband and a 5 month old baby boy that I spend my would be rehearsal time with. And after quite a few years in hotel management (and teaching as well) I realized that I found educating children in this activity that you feel they should "move on" from was far more rewarding. So actually I do quite a bit of winterguard. My students feeling thay have accomplished things they didn't know they could and thanking me for being there for them and caring about them and pushing them to be the best they can possibly be makes me know that not "moving on" was one of the smartest decisions I've made in my life. HOORAY FOR NOT MOVING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

airman
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by airman » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:57 pm

Uh, lauraab...

I'm a band director. I not only didn't leave the field, I loved it so much, I enabled myself to make a living at it. I'm guessing here--are you a walk-on coach? Just think how much more money you would make, and how much more time you could spend with your students, if you had gotten a degree in dance education, or math, or whatever, and were able to earn your living teaching this activity you love so much. Why don't you go back and do it now? Maybe those four years when you were still performing with winterguard after high school could have been spent earning a teaching degree so you could teach full time--just a thought.

In order for me to earn my degree, however, I had to leave some of the activities I loved behind for a time so I could earn my teaching degree and do it forever for MONEY!!!! Fact of life.

I know this will be perceived as a flame--I'm really not intending for it to be so. Really--honestly--why don't you become a teacher? It's a great career.

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:28 pm

Hmm...RCC was pretty interesting. It bothered me that after such a strict competition, they had RCC, obviously an entertainment unit that doesn't focus mainly on marching, perform afterwards. I was told that RCC was amazing, adn personally, they didn't amaze me. I liked their flags that the guard had, but the music wasn't as excitas the flags made it seem. I was greatly dissapointed by them. I realize that they don't compete, but I would appreciate watching a group with more regard for the marching aspect after such an intense competition. I didn't dislike it, I was just very disappointed.
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place