PIT should go on stirke!

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

CWpitdiva88

Post by CWpitdiva88 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:48 pm

I'm in pit too, so I can see what you all mean. At the same time, I don't really like to complain about this subject 'cause i think that overall, the pit has its pros and cons just like band. I figure, if I'm gonna be in pit, i just have to deal with all the complaining and stuff.

lordjedediah
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by lordjedediah » Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:52 pm

its called PE credit and u have to get it somehow

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Who's Complaining!

Post by Ace » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:23 pm

All I'm trying to say is to not take a PIT for granted. Why does it bug people if your asked to help with the equipment? I KNOW WE DON'T MARCH! And PE credit? If anyone is in the band just for taking care of your PE credits then your screwing up the band.
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

The PIT

Post by BlueStarMom » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:08 pm

At JWNorth the BSR band members load all of their pit equipment into an equipment trailer. The 2nd trailer has all of their uniforms, plumes, gloves, hat boxes, etc.

When the two trailers are loaded, they are driven by the director and a booster parent, or 2 booster parents across town (4 miles away). Then there they are unloaded (at the local community college where our football teams plays its home games). The pit equipment is loaded onto a smaller flatbed pulled by the BSR golf cart. When taken into the stadium to the track for 1/2 time, the student leaders direct the booster parents (pit crew) as to where to unload each pit instrument when helping out.
BlueStarMom
:)

cutenerd17
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: I am a pit victim too...

Post by cutenerd17 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:33 pm

rockinfernie wrote::cry: being in pit sucks some times cause yeah, having to carry all the equipment is so lame....
Dude! Being in pit never sucks. To me, it's totally worth it to lug everything around and get run over by the instruments and drop cymbal stands on my toes because in the long run, I get to play all sorts of cool parts and great runs and fun rythyms. It's called "playing" an instrument for a reason - because it's fun! Who cares if the stuff is heavy?
Small but mighty
Charter Oak High

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: stirke?

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:16 pm

Khan wrote:What's a stirke???

Let's get this straight: the pit makes or breaks any field show. Being front and center means that a lousy pit will overshadow a great performance by the marchers and ruin a show. An excellent one will make a mediocre band sound far better and a stellar band shine even brighter.

Anyone who discounts their pit is a fool. (And yes, all that equipment is awkward & heavy, so give 'em a break and help them haul it around!)

Khan
Yes definetly help the pit! it really helps in rehersal. but i just get sick when i hear people in pit complain about moving that stuff around. you guys GET help AND dont march so i dont see why there's a problem. the only reason why i'd never join pit is because i'd never get to do BASICS! :D
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

rockinpito
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rockinpito » Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:04 pm

man i hate it when people say that the pit is lazy. i am in pit and i know for a fact, that i am in better shape than over half the people in band. sure we dont have to march, but its no tlike we stand there doing nothing the whole time. when we are inside rehersing, we are playing everything untill it is perfect. we play and play and play untill tears are shed! so give us a break. and all u wind people, remeber, we have to know how to play like 50 different kinds of intruments. if we mess up, then everything is screwed up. we have the same amount of pressure as u all do. but i give all u marchers tons of respect for what u all do, so dont get me wrong. just give us a break. we work just as hard as u do. u wouldnt believe how many puch ups we do........

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Teever » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:37 pm

Ace,
I'm glad you're enjoying your many talents and that your decision to play in the percussion and flute sections is based on expanding your musical horizons, rather than the misguided exploitation of a yet another well-meaning musician.
Indeed, your fellow band members should give you and your section respect at least equal to the rest of the band, marching or not. In the end, it is your musical abilities that help or hinder the band; not who moves the most. If your band is helpful, they might help you schlep your stuff, however, they should not be expected to.
Enjoy it while you can!

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ace » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:13 pm

Thank you Mr.Teever. :wav:
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:26 pm

man this thread is so sad...
wut happend to one unit, one band
none of this random striking just cause you see it at the super markets and buses
come on now... stop being so immature and grow up
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:58 pm

all this whining makes you guys SEEM lazy. i think pit is one of the hardest working sections. i do not think they are lazy cuz i dont hear em whine. i mean we do our job (marching playing) and pit's job which is no doubt very important has to do everything with those big bulky instruments. i dont think it's fair to force us to help out but we do anyway to speed up/improve rehersals in some way. i think you guys should be thankful that we are pulling more than our own weight by moving instruments down. As for people thinking you guys are lazy.... you should fight for the respect you DESERVE. but remember that respect dwindles when u complain.

for you non-pit people, help em out! you arent just helping them out, you're helping the band overalll
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:01 am

Well said! :D
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:06 am

mm i agree
too much whining
well work things out before its too late
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you!

Post by Ace » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:56 pm

Thank you to all who replied. I ask if this thread could stop being replied to because I just wanted for some people to consider there PIT section more. I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt this way but someone had to speak up. Thank you to all those who support your PIT and those of you who don't really care......well best of of luck to you.
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT