French Horns and trumpets why don't they mix

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

french_pineapple

French Horns and trumpets why don't they mix

Post by french_pineapple » Tue Mar 25, 2003 6:58 pm

I don't know if at your school the trumpets say really bad stuff about horns. Or others to. But I am a horn player and Trumpet player to. So I see both sides. Horn players don't suck at there insterment we all have are diffrent playing spots. It just gets really bad sounding because yeah ? And what do you think about your french horn players? and Trumpet players? Or do you have a good sounding one?

P.S. French horns rock my socks :D

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:02 am

I think that at every school, and in every section those feelings of contempt for other sections is apparent. I am a Euphonium player, and I think that the Trombones kind of stink sometimes. I make fun of the Trumpets for screaming, or playing high. I also make fun of the French Horns, for being stuck up and out of tune sometimes. However, I understand that they do the same to me. I know they do. Most of my friends are in different sections. My family is in the Euphoniums, but I make fun of my friends. I also understand, as do they, that in order for a band to function, all parts have to there. So, we do not make fun of the person, just the section as a whole, and even then it is that section as an all around section through out the world. Your lucky, you can play both ends of it. Do not do it to cruelty though. If it is stupid things, like wow those french horns are stuck up, or man those drummers are roudy. So in a way, it is more about stereotypes than anything. If it Personal things that they are bashing, then you might want to take it to the director, but if it is stupid stereotypical things, then I wouldn't worry about it. I hope that this helps a little.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

arcadiatrumpette
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by arcadiatrumpette » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:57 pm

"if you do that again, i'll make you SWITCH TO THE FLUTE SECTION!!!"

*dum dum dummmmmmm* haha...everybody bashes the flutes the most.

kinda sad, i know, but for some reason that is the only section that can't march... :P however, i think they are kicking loads of butt this year, cuz they have a pretty difficult move in the show, and they've been doing real well. i sure gained a lot of respect for them this year, especially at band camp.

the clarinets and alto saxes are kind of unnoticeable...haha...they just do what they're told.

the rest of the saxes are straight up sexy. (or saxy..haha)

and, of course, all brass kicks ass. har har. and i think we have the best looking section in the band :P

even though we make fun of each other, we do it all in good humour. friendly competition, i suppose. :-D
q: what was dr. beat before he became a doctor?

a: a metro gnome!!!

----
diggadiggadiggadiggadadaDUMMMM

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:48 pm

i'm a french horn and trumpet player too. i switched to FHorn last year and i'm kinda bad so i make fun of myself. my freshmen year the trumpets did bash the french horns a little bit. first they would take the back music stands they use to reflect the sound because they are lazy and then the next day they would stop people from taking what they think is an unused stand and make a big deal about how it reflects the crappy sound away from them.

i like playing the french horn alot but it's really hard. if ur french horn player isnt very good give em a break! it' takes alot of work

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:39 pm

lol well that kinda depends on school
i dunno usually iz more of a joke and stuff rather than making fun of the other instruments
i think iz just a pride thing in playing/mastering the specific instrument your playing so that if your section becomes really good, then you feel let down sometimes by other sections if they mess up or dont reach the expectations
personally i hav nothing against other instruments but i take pride in my trumpets this year cuz we b rocking :D
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

Starky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Starky » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:13 pm

At our school its more like woodwinds against Brass. All brass sticks together were just one big brass family.
There is no reality in the absence of observation.

lukeTMRtrumpet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lukeTMRtrumpet » Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:56 pm

yeh same with us its mostly all brass vs. woodwinds but we get bashed on becuase our lead baritone player is a marcher for pacific crest and is used to pretty good instrumental trumpet players were not bad but its hard to keep the freshman on task they dont have lots of talent but try hard!! yeh soo im thinking you can live without a sax,clarient or flute section but cant live without a brass section

Lucas
TMR trumpet section leader
Last edited by lukeTMRtrumpet on Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:51 pm

yea lucas.. im thinking that in our marchng band you cant live without them.. so = P... but i thought this thred was about french horn and trumpet players..?
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:12 pm

you know how lucas is john, always changing topics, lol jk. I dont know our trumpet players dont really have problems with french horn players. Ironically in our field show, we have a french horn (well, mellophone) and trumpet duet, and they are both friends.

lukeTMRtrumpet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lukeTMRtrumpet » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:33 pm

eyyy hey i dont rag on the tenors at all matt!! but i really harp alot on the woodwind sections in our band because they are really not trying at all and almost never do except for a few key people, but otherwise they need alot more work than the brass players

Lucas

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

grr..

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:33 pm

ok lucas, first matt didnt say anything about trumpets first drum line so dont start ragging on the drum line, second the brass section isnt the ish... so stop talking down on us, third this thred isnt about woodwind vs brass at all.. so dont argue about it here, if you want to say something about it well talk at school, lets not waste anymore of these nice peoples time.. thanks
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

lukeTMRtrumpet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lukeTMRtrumpet » Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:02 pm

i wasnt ragging on drumline i was saying that matt players the tenors well maybe ther not all good but individuals are, and well it is there we know brian would not even try if there wasnt a brass section

Lucas

Traverse
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Traverse » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:07 pm

I've been playing trumpet for like 4 years now and this summer I switched to french horn and I really suck at it currently, but it just takes practice I guess. But anyways, in our band it's also mainly woodwinds vs brass. But the french horn section leader (theres only two of us =P I'm the freshman french horn section leader... OF MYSELF!!!) and the trumpet section leader always argue over really dumb stuff and my section leader always makes fun of the trumpet leader because his idea of composing is moving his hand up and down at a given tempo. We get really bored sometimes, like at sectionals we sat down and thought up a list of oodles of reasons brass is better than woodwind (every ten minutes of playimng we'd take a 20 minute break=P) But ok I'll stop rambling on and on now.
Be glad you don't have to stick a marimba on a harness and march it.