Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Moorpark Class 3A-2 Review

Post by formermarcher » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:23 pm

A'righty!
7 more bands down, just 6A to post.
Soryr to those who would have wanted 5A reviews...like I said I had done 15 straight reviews without eating...I needed a break.
Anyway, look for the 6A bands coming really soon!

Mater Dei
Music: Music by Halsinger
Mater Dei graciously performed for the crowd just for the fun of it as the judges decided to move to the gym. That just shows you the quality of the group…its all about the crowd!
The show opened with a great downbeat. The balance was superb, the band was in tune, but across the arc they had formed, there were some obvious tears in the music. However, the quality remained solid, and when the group started to play some syncopated parts of music, it actually worked out beautifully. But as the opener went on, the band seemed to get more brass-heavy, and the group didn’t quite end together. A well done opener though!
2nd: The only real thing I can say here was that the pit and drumline didn’t quite lock in with each other, but when the drumline got into a drum solo, it was really clean and well performed!
3rd: Damned nice brass quality. The only thing I would have liked to hear at this stage was more of a woodwind sound. It is hard to have the woodwinds play louder or the brass play softer, but for the most part, this group did a good job with it.
I’d like to note that I cannot fairly review the rest of the show…they played something from Aaron Copeland…and I do not like Copeland music at all!
My overall impression with the group was a good one, with the musical aspects clearly worked on. I think the gym helped increase their sound. Again, quality sound,
Note: I’d just recommend trying to get the woodwinds more in the piece. Also, there were a lot of parts that were ripping, and although you guys recovered nicely, they still happened frequently. A well done job guys!

Cabrillo
Music: South of the Boarder
What struck me odd about the way this group set up was that they put the drumline in front of the hornline. I don’t think any other band did that for the indoor competition.
For this group, I enjoyed the Pasadoble style of music (as well as others, of course), and I think the group only had some technical issues. There were some tuning discrepancies, and as each movement went on, it felt like the music lost its intensity. However, the music was still fun to listen too, even if the drumline did seem to drown the hornline out a bit.
I appreciated that they still tried to bring aspects from their show to the gym, as they stilled performed the various horn visuals.
Note: You guys are almost there! Keep working at it and good luck in the future!

Royal
Music: Broadway musical “Rent”
I was kind sad that they weren’t wearing Kilts…oh well. I just have to say I was really impressed with the sound of the group, despite the fact that the gym was indeed amplifying the sound. I have heard these guys on the filed, and they are still pretty loud. And they didn’t toss quality to achieve the sound either. Overall, the group demonstrated a real mastery of the music they played. And as for the various solos…each solo (and even a duet) was very well done. A superb job musically!
Note: I really don’t have much to say…just make sure you don’t sacrifice quality for sound!

Canyon
Music: Love Fantasy
As hard of an act Canyon had to follow…they did so superbly. The music for Canyon was more on the quiet side of things, as the type of music they played would suggest.
The group opened very softly and very well sustained in the soft playing. The softer instruments blended very nicely together before the trumpets made their entrance. The entrance was gradual, and superbly done! However, there were some woodwind runs in the opener that sounded a little bit mushy. Personally, I didn’t think that detracted too much from the performance, as it demonstrated the musicianship of the group.
2nd: What really impressed me here was the dual flugelhorn duet. They played together so well, and so moving. It would have been more moving, had it not been for the triangle though! The “ding” easily penetrated the sound on the flugelhorns, and took a bit away from the duet.
3rd: Cowbell…as a wise man once said, “I have a fever and the only cure…is more COWBELL!!!” Just though I’d add that in there. That’s all I have to say about the 3rd movement.
4th: I wasn’t feeling the purpose of the drumset. Nothing wrong with it…I just didn’t think it went well with the rest of the group. Furthermore, the hornline really didn’t line up with the drumset too much, and vice-versa.
Overall, a very nice show. Very well played! Great job!
Note: You guys were great to listen to. I also noticed the woodwind/brass balance. Keep it up!

Westview
Music: Jungle Fantasy
I can’t really go movement by movement with this group. They just impressed my way beyond anything I have ever seen. And just read my review before you disagree with me. There is something very important I have to say about this group.
Now overall they had a superior tone to the rest of the 3A-2 bands. Not only did they manage to sound and look great, they seemed to have a drill set for INDOOR competitions! That’s right, they were fully marching out there in the Moorpark gym. Power to you guys! And to march that well…with that much sound…with such great quality…I’m jealous! The only problem here…the music lost its uniqueness as it went on. It was the same kind of music throughout all the movements, but it was still fun to watch! And to feel the bleachers shake from a 3A band.
Not only is this in itself remarkable, check this out:
A man I was sitting next to in the bleachers told me that Westview High School has only been around for 2 years. This is the second year they have been in existence. I was told they were marching the majority with freshmen and sophomores…they had no seniors and only 15-20 juniors. Just…remarkable.

Whittier
Music: Music from Chicago
Wow! Bright red! It was a nice change from rather dark uniforms to these bright red jackets. Nice!
Well…I don’t want to sound like a bad person, but this group had a few major problems. Nothing really seemed to click for this group on this evening. The music was remotely good…but I think the tempo for each piece could have been taken up quite a bit. I really don’t have much to say.
Note: It sounds like you guys need to take a year and just revamp the program. I am not trying to be offensive here…that’s just what it seems. Maybe you guys excel at marching, but we didn’t get to see you guys march due to the rain. Best of luck to you guys in the future!

Westlake
Music: “An American Elegy”
Before hand, there was a bit of a hype for this group, but also some disappointment as I overheard several people saying that their show was incredible on field. They were dissapointed that they could only see them in the gym of Moorpark.

I was expecting a double horn arc, but instead the audience got so much more.
The opening solo in this show was very solid and set up the mood of the opener with perfection. The bass line (brass and woodwinds) played together, but were slightly out of tune. However, the phrases were superbly played and the dynamics were perfect. Apart from some brass overpowering and drumline drowning out, this opener was a great start to a great show.
2nd: There was a singer in this show, and although the guy is a great singer, I just don’t like singing in a field show. However, its during the singing that the entire group breaks into groups and starts reenacting things you would see in a Civil War Army camp. Some people sitting around, even a small group of flutes and clarinets under the direction of a sergeant taking aim and firing. Its during the second movement when you realize there is just so much to take in, and you realize just how serious the time period was.
3rd: Very, very brassy, but given the situation presented in the show, it is 100% appropriate. Other than that, its seemed to be just one dynamic and it also seemed a bit rushed. Still good to listen to though!
4th: The mellophone solo here is essential to set the mood, and it was done superbly. This is what really got to me…they were lined up together, and we see the Drum Major frozen in place. Then we here a loud CHARGE and see what appears to be actual rifle fire (flashcubes). The band ends up running across the gym…and they still die! Now with the music…and the deaths…the mood is overwhelming. It just leaves you wanting more.
This group, from the audience stand point, given the circumstances, performed totally and utterly as close to perfection as possible. Superb job, and my pick to win the 3A-2 division.
Note: Just some fine tuning on the woodwind/brass balance, and some tuning issues. Other than that…good luck in Championships!

Phew...
This was a VERY entertaining class to watch overall. Great job to everyone!
Last edited by formermarcher on Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Moorpark Class 3A-2 Review

Post by gangemi » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:40 pm

formermarcher wrote: Westlake
Music: “An American Elegy”
Before hand, there was a bit of a hype for this group, but also some disappointment as I overheard several people saying that their show was incredible on field. I was expecting a double horn arc, but instead the audience got so much more.
Former,

I am not sure what you mean by disappointment. Care to elaborate?

mg

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:15 pm

Heh...bad phrasing.

What I meant is that I had heard alot of dissapointment that Westlake wasn't able to perform on the field. The audience was totally wanting to see you guys perform outside, and as a reult they were dissapointed that it was indoors.

Sorry for the confusion!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

someguywhodoesthings
Rookie
Rookie

Singing Field Shows

Post by someguywhodoesthings » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:08 pm

I have this to say about singing in marching band shows. Its only good if it's pulled off perfectly. I haven't seen Westlake, but I will on Sat. @ Champs and I hope they pull it off. But I saw La Quinta @ Temecula Valley and they didn't really seem to click during the show. Anyways, best of skill to all bands on sat. (its gonna rock)

ODannyBoi
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Moorpark Class 3A-2 Review

Post by ODannyBoi » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:55 am

formermarcher wrote:A'righty!
Whittier
Music: Music from Chicago
Wow! Bright red! It was a nice change from rather dark uniforms to these bright red jackets. Nice!
Well…I don’t want to sound like a bad person, but this group had a few major problems. Nothing really seemed to click for this group on this evening. The music was remotely good…but I think the tempo for each piece could have been taken up quite a bit. I really don’t have much to say.
Note: It sounds like you guys need to take a year and just revamp the program. I am not trying to be offensive here…that’s just what it seems. Maybe you guys excel at marching, but we didn’t get to see you guys march due to the rain. Best of luck to you guys in the future!
I'm sorry to hear that they're not doing so well this year. Last year I was a director in that district and Whittier was always a musical force to be reckoned with. I know Chris Palas stepped down from that job, but I didn't realize he'd inadvertently take them down with (or without, it seems) him. Having conducted many of these kids in preparation for honor bands, this saddens me.
Daniel J. Magallanes
Director of Bands,
Monrovia H.S. - Monrovia, CA
www.MonroviaMusic.org