Fairfield TOC - Nov. 22 (NCBA)

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Lincoln vs LP/O

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:52 am

dreams&jellybeans wrote:Lincoln and Las Plumas/Oroville battling it out on the street this weekend? Should make for an interesting review this weekend...
Lincoln (Stockton) is no longer a force to be reckoned with. They should finish behind Foothill, Las Plumas, Santa Cruz, Antioch, and maybe a few others like Madera and Vallejo. Lincoln is not a contender for sweeps.

Oh, and the aux judges at the Lincoln competition were Monica Fuentes and Stacy Cooper.

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Aux judges

Post by GuarDiva04 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:51 am

While I do agree there are LOTS of politics in NCBA judging, I DON'T agree that Monica and Stacy were partial to Foothill. It's obvious there were some discrepancy's between REAL auxillary but it goes down to the plain and simple fact of undevisable attachment to colorguards. As far as I am concerned... Benicia and Fairfield are THE top. Foothill I cannot judge because I have not seen. Now Monica has known issues with Fairfield so of course she's biased. She has been known to score Fairfield considerably low at every competition we compete at. That is why most of the time, whatever caption she was judging, that section would march in exibition because there's no use in even trying. But now that the guard is judged as a whole, we have too much to risk marching in exibition. That is also why she will never judge at T.O.C. Stacy Cooper is a good juge though. I just think there were some issues on Saturday @ Lincoln with the auxillary judges... there's no way the scores should have come out like that. But we only take in stride, learn from it and grown upon their comments.
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:46 am

I think its very wrong to extrapolate that because someone has either attended a school or worked for that school that they would be biased toward them. On the contrary, many times they are even a harsher critic. At the NCBA we look at the numbers too, and are very aware when any bias is shown toward a group by a judge.

There are a large number of NCBA judges who either attended or worked for Foothill HS, and not just in the auxiliary area. This was also true of Fairfield HS a year or two ago. These two schools have produced a number of ex-student /student teachers/staff who are highly respected people in their area including Grace Cloyd, Monica Fuentes, Kevin Cato, Patricia Crist, Kris Harper, Kim Malato, Roxanna Macheel, just to name a few!

These schools have produced individuals who have continued to work in this artform and been active and caring enough to actually take the time to become judges. Many other schools with good programs cannot say the same.

The NCBA is aware of the perception some people might get from having people who used to attend or work with certain schools judging those schools.
We have taken steps in the past at our memberships request to alleviate their concerns in this area.

Under NCBA rules no judge who works with a program may judge that program, subject to a 1 year suspension of their judging. The only area that this is not true in is drum majors, where the limited number of judges vs. the large number of students taking private lessons from those 2 or 3 judges make it impossible to do so.

>Jeff Stratton
President, NCBA

Paul
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Paul » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:00 am

Guardiva04
As far as I am concerned... Benicia and Fairfield are THE top.
I believe that Santa Cruz HS and Vallejo HS have outscored Fairfield at various competitions this season so those groups should be positioned at "THE" top tier of NCBA auxiliary units for Fall 2003!

dreams&jellybeans

Foothill vs. LP/O

Post by dreams&jellybeans » Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:38 pm

haha...stupid me. I was thinking about the Merced review...meant Foothill, not Lincoln. Sorry! Still...good review this weekend I should think.
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em. --Shakespeare

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

LP/O vs Fairfield

Post by La Stephen » Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:45 pm

We'll see what happens tomorrow!! I bet LP/O will win

ILL~BE~BACH
New Recruit
New Recruit

Lpo Win?????

Post by ILL~BE~BACH » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:21 pm

I thought we would but nope. We had a very cold morning which led us to lose our concentration. I don't want to say it's because of the judges, but as far as I'm concerned, even if we were flawless, one judge put us so far under, we wouldn't have come close. If we had another go, LPO would spank em'. No second chances though. Darn!
LP/O Rocks!!!!!! Oh yes, we are, superior by far!!!!!

Q: How can you tell which kid on the playground is the child of a trombonist?

A: They don't know how to use the slide and can't swing.

http://lpoalliance.tripod.com