Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade BANDS

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade BANDS

Post by Mr Pageantry » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:51 am

The 77th Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade has announced participation of the following marching bands

Parade is in Manhattan New York City.. Route is 77th Street and Central Park West.. south past Central Park, onto Broadway through Times Square south towards Herald Square (Location of Macy's Department Store... ) televised by NBC as it passes the store and turns onto 34th street turning west and disbanding at 7th avenue

BANDS INCLUDE:

Pinson Valley HS- Alabama
Lorande HS - Florida
Roosevelt HS- Hawai'i
Bloomington North HS - Indiana
Portchester HS - New York
Miami University - Oxford, Ohio
Franklin regional HS - Pennsylvania
Colleyville Heritage HS - Texas
Pulaski HS - Wisconsin

Each band will appear in a custom designed drill arrangement for aprox. 45 seconds on NBC TV during the three hour broadcast.

barbequedpoopy

Post by barbequedpoopy » Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:49 pm

i performed in the parade 3 years ago. it was sooo freakin awesome!! it was the coldest day i ever experianced, but it was worth it!!
she looked at u and she said to ur face it's over it's over

rockchick04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rockchick04 » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:01 pm

barbequedpoopy wrote:i performed in the parade 3 years ago. it was sooo freakin awesome!! it was the coldest day i ever experianced, but it was worth it!!
Aww..I'm jealous. Did you guys get to see/meet anyone famous?

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:19 pm

wow thats so nice
haha I remember watching those parades as a little kid
pretty cool now watching it on tv now... gives me old memories of ny
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

raultorian trombone
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by raultorian trombone » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:19 pm

my brother went to the macy's thanksgiving day parade with James Logan High School his freshman year he said it was fun but it was raining so some of the woodwinds had to march with their piccolos or padded stuff yah know under their clear rainponcho's hehe go brass! Logan got invited this year but we had to turn it down because of Our WindSymphony trip to The Midwest Band And Orchestra Clinic in Chicago. . . .yah know they never put the marching bands on long enough in parade's like the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade or the Rose Bowl Parade that Logan was at last year . . . . who thinks that Marching bands should get more airtime and less talking from commentaries while they are playing? o well have fun to anybody who's going and watching!!!!
go trombones!!!! c/o 2005 - section leader
James Logan High School
BlueDevils b-corps '03 lead bari

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:29 pm

haha seriously more airtime for bands... who cares about floats
lol well we got decent airtime last year for rose parade but yea
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

Spin Doctor
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Spin Doctor » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:57 pm

I worked at Macys last year!
I never did forget that night...
And now...
More than twenty years later...
I still remember every note of the music that wandered out into the still night air.
The only thing is...
I can't remember how to play it anymore.
~The Wonder Years

eternalbando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eternalbando » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:27 am

Okay, I'm sitting here watching this parade, and I decided to look at the list of bands. HOLY CRAP! That's all the bands that are in it? What the heck are they thinking? that's not enough!! lol. On top of thta, when they were starting off the parade, they mentioned all the stars and floats and even the freakin' balloons, but not a single mention of the bands!!!! Grrr....bands get so little respect in this country, it just ticks me off so much! Okay, sorry for going off like this, but I had to say something! :x
"Love must be sincere..." Romans 12:9

If I "have not love, I am nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:2
Hostrauser's Trivia Contest #3- 4th place

La Stephen
Veteran
Veteran

Post by La Stephen » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:01 am

So was talking to a band mom i ran into at Raleys yesterday, and we came to a conclusion.

We must have one channel for bands, and one channel for foats/concerts/stupid dacing people.

I mean, its the best of both worlds!!! Then the band people will stop yelling at the floats to get out the way, and the float people will stop yelling at how stupid it is to show bands.
8-) boo-yah

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:07 pm

well, this is how I figured it. If they can show a poker tournament, a scrabble tournament, and probably even a Chess tournment, then why can't ESPN show any band tournaments?????? Even if it's just for parades or something, it'll do!
OHS '01 - '05

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

...I'll take $100 on Mission in the first round...

Post by Teever » Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:47 pm

Wow Lizzy, I think you might be on to something there...a scrabble tournament? Really?!! Surely the DCI finals or a MBA finals or something would draw more viewers than that! Now, I bet if we could get the folks in Vegas to post the odds on who's gonna win, place, or whatever, then we might get some airtime!

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:17 am

might be a plan. Might be a plan indeed. :D
OHS '01 - '05

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:33 am

I only got to watch the first 1/2 hour to an hour of the parade. I don't think they showed any bands during that time! It was all just the musicals! That sucks! :x

Why doesn't ESPN or FSN televise a band tournament? Bandos across the country would go CRAZY for it!

Imagine if one of our SCSBOA tourneys got televised nationwide...nice. 8-) Sure, only the SoCal folks would know the bands, but the rest of the country wouldn't care 'cause they would be excited that marching band is on. Showing comps. from across the country would be cool, because it would show the different styles of marching and shows.

If there is a channel dedicated to cats, then we should be able to get a channel for band! Yeah! 8-)
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:38 am

exactly. I mean, even if it were for ONE competition, I'd probably still go crazy. Just then fact that acknowledge our existence! lol... ot if anything, they can atleast show the half time show for football games. Just one...please...
OHS '01 - '05