Los Angeles City Results

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

Los Angeles City Results

Post by Mr Pageantry » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:56 am

:wav: The Los Angeles Unified School District held it's 31st Annual Band and Drill Team Championship at Gardena HS in the southbay area. Despite the cold and threatening weather.. no one got rained on.. The championship stadium was an antique facility... but the bands and spectators were enthusiastic and many of the bands performed their best show of the year.
Judging was by the SCJA (So. California Judging Association)... The District does not permit numerical scores to be announced and in fact only gives a list of the top 3 bands in any of the 5 claases.. plus one auxiliary award... Both ideas are archaic.. the students in the LAUnified School District are a hearty lot and strong.. they need to face reality... I am sure they would survive finding out just how great-good-or bad they really are.. The show featured an eclectic lot of bands ranging from the really fine and musical groups to the accent on visual performance groups.. to several groups who need to check out the band scene and join current band trends.. I would say that there has been a major improvement in the look of the district bands with many of them sporting truly eye catching new uniforms in the latest style.. nothing like a new uniform to make the marchers feel special...
So here are the results....

Division 1 8-)

1 - Canoga Park HS :king:
2 - James Monroe HS
3 - LA Wilson HS
Auxiliary Award- Canoga Park HS
Performance Awards- Chatsworth & Hollywood

DIVISION 2 8-) 8-)

1 - San Fernando HS :king:
2 - Marshall HS
3 - Huntington Park HS
Auxiliary Award - San Fernando
Performance Awards Taft & Roosevelt

DIVISION 3 8-) 8-) 8-)

1- Los Angeles HS :king: (13 Consecutive Titles!)
2- Narbonne HS
3- Venice HS
Auxiliary - Los Angeles HS
Performance Awards:
Birmingham - Locke - Francis Poly HS

DIVISION 4 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

1 - Fremont HS :king:
2 - Sylmar HS
3 - Grant HS
Auxiliary Sylmar
Performance Awards:
Crenshaw HS & Franklin HS

DIVISION 5 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

1 - Van Nuys HS
2 - Belmont HS
3 - San Pedro HS
Auxiliary Award....Not audible announcement... will update

DIVISION 6 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

1 - Garfield HS
2 - Washington HS
3 - North Hollywood
Auxiliary Award - Garfield HS

SPECIAL PERFORMANCE: Every year the LAUSD has one of the most spectacular entries in the Tournament of Roses Parade... as a finale to the City Band Championship the Honor Band gave a really exuberant performance which could be heard for miles.. The Honor Band is a BRASS and PERCUSSION band... Their arrangements are magnificent and with well over 300 musicians on the field (the best chosen by audition from the 50 or so schools in the district) the really reflect the energy of a major metropolis and the kids faces reflect the internatiuonal flavor of Los Angeles.... Once again this year the many millions of people across the nation and throughout the world will be amazed at this all star honor band.. Thanks to Tony White; Art Duardo, Darnella Davidson, Elaine Collins and Fran Herman for the musical quality of this aggregation... Assisted by Tony Rios; Virgil Lewis, Ricardo Luna; Ramon Mendez; Raul Fernandez; David Profetta; Ernie Sandoval; Jimmy Cisneros; Brian Lopez; Aaron Rasmirez and the entire staff....:kiss:

Posted by Harvey@worldofpageantry.com :wav:

rbeeley

3A colorguard

Post by rbeeley » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:07 pm

Belmont High school won the colorguard caption in the 3a division. THey recieved a 89 which was the highest score of the day in that caption. Congratulations to them and every other band that participated in the day's competition.

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

BELMONT in Division 5 not 3

Post by Mr Pageantry » Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:54 am

:wav: Mr. Beeley has been in touch with us several times this past few days.... He signs himself as being from Van Nuys HS.... which is a music magnet school... In the above posting he reports that Belmont HS won the 'Colorguard' award in 3A... with a score of 89 which was the highest score of the day.... :compute: CORRECTION: At the LAUSD Championship at Gardena HS... Roberta Schuler was the AUXILIARY judge... each LA band has auxiliary... there is NO COLORGUARD award... Numerical scores are NOT ANNOUNCED... and in fact BELMONT HS competed in DIVISION 5... thus his information is not correct as far as I can tell.. finally Mr. Beeley sent us a letter which calls World of Pageantry the HOST and SPONSOR of the LA USD Band and Drill Team Championship... We ARE NOT.... The Los Angeles Unified School District division known as 'BEYOND THE BELL' is sponsor of the event.. Tony White is Contest Coordinator and Director of the Event and Gardena HS was the Host of the event.... We tried to reach this gentleman at Van Nuys HS (he signed his letter to us as a representative of the Van Nuys Hs Band) ... but the folks we reached at Van Nuys HS were not able to tell us anything about how to reach Mr. Beeley.... so we invite him to call us at 714-952-2263 so we can discuss some of his postings..... Harvey@worldofpageantry.com :wav:

rbeeley

My mistake

Post by rbeeley » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:44 pm

I apologize that I thought Belmont was in division 3 when actually there are in Division 5. I also KNOW that World of Pageantry is not the sponsor of any shows, I was confused by the email link I saw. All of these are honest mistakes and I apologize if I have disrespected anyone.

But I do feel that I am somewhat being attacked. I'm a parent of a student at Van Nuys high school. All I wanted to do was give some recognition to a school that did very well. But I think some of my comments were taken out of context, which does happen quite often on internet posts.

IWatchCharmed

Re: Los Angeles City Results

Post by IWatchCharmed » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:58 pm

Harvey Berish wrote:

DIVISION 6 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

1 - Garfield HS
2 - Washington HS
3 - North Hollywood
Auxiliary Award - Garfield HS
I believe that the Division 6 Auxiliary award went to North Hollywood.
Last edited by IWatchCharmed on Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbeeley

Post by rbeeley » Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:15 am

Then why was the auxillary (colorguard) plaque given to Belmont? For someone who seems to be all knowing about this event, there is a lot of misinformation going around. Try calling Belmont and Van Nuys H.S. and see what they say.
Although Van Nuys did a wonderful job they came in 3rd in the auxillary caption. I feel like this post is getting out of control.

jgehring
Rookie
Rookie

Pobrecito...

Post by jgehring » Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:39 pm

I think the reason rbeeley feels attacked is that he thinks it's ok to post incorrect information to this forum, list inaccurate contact information in his profile, and post about things that he is confused about. I thought the flames were pretty mild actually.

IWatchCharmed is also correct about the division 6 Auxiliary award which covers all auxiliary units including color guard. North Hollywood was announced as winning this award although with the poor sound system I understand how Harvey could have heard another school. And North Hollywood doesn't have a Color Guard, rbeeley.

rebeeley was again confused by the different divisions. Belmont received the high auxilary award for division 5. North Hollywood received the award for division 6.

I have a recap sheet in front of me and have submitted several corrections to the scores posted on the scores page.