Should They Be In Band?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

weezer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by weezer » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:09 pm

BabySloth wrote: I'm not sure if there are any schools who already do this, but if you're in a school that does have a JV and a varsity band, I'd love to hear how that works out.
our percussion has a varsity and JV line, but not the band. I 've never heard of a band doing that.

alto s@x 87
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by alto s@x 87 » Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:25 am

Recent Update: Our band director just announced yesterday that Upland will hold playing auditions for marching band next year. No more people playing out of time! Could this discussion have played a role in this decision? :? Thanks to everyone for their opinions.
freaky dutch boy

Upland High School
Class of '06

BttrDrummerThanU
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BttrDrummerThanU » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:36 pm

When I was in high school, our show was always written for about 12 - 15 less winds than we actually had. That way any people that were just uncoordinated, or horrible marchers could either 1) play in the pit or 2) stand on the sideline and play the show. Also, these extra people always ensured we never had holes at shows. These people ended up being some of the better marchers/guiders because they were able to be thrown in somebodies spot and learn it right away.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Hmm...

Post by clusknay » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:57 pm

Well there used to be an old saying...that you (meaning your band or whatever activity you are taking part in) are only as strong as your weakest member.

The question seems to be boiling...do you actually have cuts for HS marching band???

The ONLY way I could see cuts happening is if the size of the band just started to get out of hand...

If you're having a series of cuts because you're going to a BOA regional, or WBA Champs...then you're taking the overall band experience away from many kids who could learn a great deal from the activity...they may be a mess at first..and people may shake thier heads in shame...but you know...i've seen some pretty horrible marchers not only become great marchers...but also mature into great people over time.

I personally don't agree with having cuts if they are for any other reason...

...and for those of you complaining that you have "someone you can't deal with!" Then you're complaining about the wrong thing...Look over again at what you are really complaining about.

anyone else feel somewhat the same?

lildrummergirl
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lildrummergirl » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:46 pm

I honestly beleive that it takes more then an ability to play well to be in band. There are kids in our wind ensemble who are lazy and have awful attitudes and are only there because they play there instrument well. We have kids who work the behinds off in symphonic band but aren't given the opportunity to shine in wind ensemble, because we need strong players in S Band and because the number of musicians has to be even in both bands.
It does take more than talent. There are kids in band who can play great, but when it comes down to it, don't have the dedication it takes to be in band, marching or otherwise. There's not a lot you can do about them, either you're dedicated or you're not. On the other hand there are kids who work hard and really want to play well, but just don't catch on as quickly. If they are dedicated enough they can definitly get better, and shouldn't just get cut from band.