PIT should go on stirke!

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

PIT should go on stirke!

Post by Ace » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:23 pm

Is it just me or are PITs usually taken for granted? Am I the only one in a band like that, because whenever our director ask a section to help the PIT take our equipment a lot of people complain about it. I mean I know we don't march but it doesn't mean we don't do any work at all. Our music is just as challenging as the bands. And believe it or not it gets tiring pushing that equipment back and forth. :x
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

MHSpitchick
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by MHSpitchick » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:25 pm

I agree. People dont really give us the credit we deserve. In my band last year it used to be really bad. People would always say, Man, I wish I was in pit! They have it so easy. Especially durring band camp, when we are inside, and everyone is outside. But this year its changed, a lot of my friend finally have to help out, and they dont like pushing the equipment, and they have actually said, This must suck having to haul this every where! and Im just like YES! IT does! But its all worth it in the end. :D
*MoOrPaRk hiGh*
*02-*03 maLLeT LiNE
*03 fALL- PiT cAptAiN /maLLeT LiNE
*04 sPriNG- PeRcUsSiOn cAptAiN/maLLet LiNE

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:30 pm

Well at my school we complain that we have to help the pit because my freshmen year we had a different pit (all were seniors) and they always managed to take all of the equipment to the field on their on. Now the pit has more people, uses less equipment, and for some reason can't get it all on their on. It's not that we don't want to help, we just don't see why more stuff use to fit in the pit cart, and now not as much stuff fits (we have a big cart a parent made to take the equipment from the band room to the band field and back). And then we go outside and see it loaded and it's like there's plenty of room to put more stuff in there, but they just don't feel like putting in the effort. That's why band people get mad, not because we don't want to help, but because we feel the pit could be doing more.
Saugus High School Marching Band
2000-2004

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:29 pm

well i think our pit is pretty cool and carry their own weight and even helps out the band sometimes in loading the instruments onto our trailer
its always good when all the different segments of ur band works together cuz that makes things more efficient
well good luck
hope u work things out between ur band and pit
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04
Arcadia Trumpet sl 03-04
Arcadia c/o2004

Teever
Veteran
Veteran

Live with your choices!

Post by Teever » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:36 pm

Well, being a percussionist, having played in both pit and battery, and directing, I hate to take the other side of this, but basically I believe you guys have to learn to live with your choices. If lugging a lot of equipment around isn't your thang, then percussion really isn't the best place for you. Granted, EVERY member of the percussion section must be responsible for helping to bring out & in ALL the equipment, whether they play it or not, and it is nice for wind players to help out once in a while, but there's a reason some band members chose the instrument they did, and (unfortunately, 'cause this isn't a great reason) some of them chose a small one on purpose!

It's one of the reasons I have all beginning percussionists use a bell & pad kit every day, and re-set up the room for their class - it's just part of playing percussion. You'll always be the first one to a gig and the last one to leave, and you'll always need the biggest car/truck/van.

It is your band director's responsibility to ensure that you have the resources and time you need to get all your stuff out to where it needs to be, and if you're not getting that you need to communicate with your director.

Otherwise, quit whinning or play the flute!

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:11 pm

the flute player has to take their flute in, the tuba player needs to take their tuba in, the pit player needs to take their instrument in.. i mean i know they have more than just one thing.. but they should take the bulk of it.. i help the pit alot of the time anyways.. so it really doesnt make a differnece to me..
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Hold Up

Post by Ace » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:32 pm

When I put this post up I wasn't trying to say that the band is lazy or anything, all I was saying is that there are some bands out there that complain about PIT doing less work. Some people in PIT are truly lazy but there are also people in there that take PIT seriously not so they can get out of marching. There are some PITs that have carts to take out on the field or have enough people in the PIT to take everything back. I remeber last year we had a ghetto shopping cart where we put all our cymbal stands. But don't forget PIT helps your scores too.
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:43 pm

Our pit is just lazy. I like them, they're great people, add wonderful things to the show, and are fun to be around, but they're lazy.

As for the pit helping the scores...........I think Los Angeles goes without and they do pretty well. Hmmmmmmm something to ponder.
Saugus High School Marching Band
2000-2004

clarinetcutieB12
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by clarinetcutieB12 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:23 pm

Well, I'm in pit this year, and i know it's physically a lot easier to be in pit than to march. Just in that ONE aspect though. Other parts of pit are really tough, and let's face it, no one is ever going to know unless they try it, 'cause we never let on :wink: .

I agree with Teever that the percussionist makes the decision to have the biggest instruments in the band (or at least in my band), and they have to live with the responsibility of that. Yeah, it sucks most of the time, but that's how it goes. And Yeah, you're going to get stupid remarks about being lazy and not doing anything, but you just have to let them roll off of you.

Personally, I feel really pathetic and lazy when the leaders of my band make other sections help us put things away. I think they have their own things they need to take care of, and shouldn't always have to worry about getting us back to the band room. But that is only my personal opinion, I might be totally off of the mark.

But....yeah....go PIT!!
~clarinetcutieB12~

RifleLova
Veteran
Veteran

ponderin...

Post by RifleLova » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:48 pm

i can understand why people would say pit is lazy and stuff because they dont march like the rest of us and i do think it's harder to march and play your instrument and worry about drill dots than to be in pit. i've had a little taste of being in pit and marching band and now in color guard so i do know what i'm talking about. i dont think our pit is lazy at all, they try to pull their own weight but they do need the bands help. it's just that when their inside practicing and we're outside sweating up a storm from running and marching and playing an instrument of spinning a rifle/flag...it's easier to get mad at them when they complain...just so easy! but i do respect the whole regiment and it just wouldn't be the same w/ pit or marching band!
Pearl Madison: I'm only human.
Leland: How come people only say that when they've done something wrong?

TuBassoonSaxGuy

Post by TuBassoonSaxGuy » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:21 pm

I'm a tuba player and i know what's like to lug heavy equipment around, so i say good job to all the pit players out there. I help the pit all the time and it isn't like it takes too much effort. Besides, band isn't much if don't have the pit, they lay down a good beat every now and then.

coolguyschmutz

Post by coolguyschmutz » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:00 pm

So here's the thing. Im in pit and our field is a bit of a haul from the band room. Up a ramp then down a hill than a feww hundred yards our spot. With only 8 people, the 2 aux racks, 2 marimbas w/racks, 2 vibes, one xylo, 1 bells, a gong, 2 bass drums, and chimes, it takes about 4 trips. Im not complaining just letting ya know how it is. In our band, we have this thing called field duty. It rotates from section to section, one section a day. They are not responisible for helping just the pit, they gotta take up cones, PA, and trash. The best part is taht if a section is bad, they get field duty no matter what section is supposed to have it that day. BTW, I am very thankful whenever we get help.

Ace
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Live with your choices!

Post by Ace » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:57 pm

Teever wrote:
Otherwise, quit whinning or play the flute!
For your information Mr. Teever, I do play flute but there is more to a flute than its weight :evil:
My Keys
POLY
02'-03' Synth
03'-04 Caliope

GO PICCOLOS!
Poly PIT

mytree003
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mytree003 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:53 pm

I'm so glad there are people like me out there! :D I've been in pit since the 7th grade and I know all the hardships of lugging pit stuff like the back of my hand. Sure, I complain about lugging my instrument all the way out to the field, but it's only because the vibe is 16 years old and happened to break down AGAIN today. Besides that, I put out my utmost effort to be the best pitster I could possibly be. As for the rest of my section.... :? I can think of one that WHINES all the time about everything. I think that in order to be in pit, they have to follow a certain criteria. That is, they can't be lazy. :x I should stop talking before I burst.
"I can do all things through Christ who strenghthens me." (Philippians 4:13)