Interesting Shows

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

SeniorFluteQueen2003

A clean show

Post by SeniorFluteQueen2003 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:00 pm

I think that it is good for the band to have a clean show, but also at the same time they should enjoy the show and make it cool for all of the audience to enjoy.
FluteQueen

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:13 pm

Looking at your location (Lakewood), I don't think I was talking about your school's show (Or Matt's for that matter).
Curious as to WHOSE Styx show you ARE referring to then? :?: :?: :?:

BlueStarMom
Veteran
Veteran

Interesting or clean?

Post by BlueStarMom » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:00 pm

I like a show that is clean, with crisp marching, but at the same token it is great when the music accents the show, working hand in hand together.

Murrieta Valley is doing Emerson Lake and Palmer (70's rock group music). It is probably the first time I have witnessed a marching show with contemporary rock music that has scored well. Their music and props compliment each other. Their percussion has won at least one top award. They have taken several other top awards this season in 5A. Their marching is pretty clean, and the music keeps you involved. So far I have watched their performance at 3 separate competitions. I have enjoyed it very much.

At JWN the Blue Star Regiment a.k.a. the BSR has intricate marching. The band is constantly on the move. The colorguard and drill team are integrated throughout the band. There are a few points in the show where the colorguard and drill stand separately and away from the musicians marching. The props this year, are airplane propellers, and also 4 portraits, representing Amelia Earhart, The Wright Brothers, The Tuskegee Airman and Charles Lindberg. These signify the theme celebrating flight. The music changes tempo, and I think that helps keep the audience involved.

Unfortunately I have not had an opportunity to see Granada Hills compete in 5A. I understand their show is quite good. Nor have I seen Savanna this year.

Anyway this is my viewpoint as a spectator. I only know what I like based on what I have experienced in these past 4 years of attending numerous competitions, probably about 25 total, maybe more.
BlueStarMom
:)

Matt for Recall
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Matt for Recall » Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:19 pm

I don't know. I always remember the cool and daring shows. I like it when there's an awesome drum break, or some crazy visuals. I'd have to say that I agree with ODannyBoi and say that I remember the awesome visuals and music over the clean and boring stuff.[/quote]
Wow.. How do they make the holes in the Olives?... Wow...

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:24 pm

I prefer a clean show. I just can't understand it when a band goes out and marches and the forms almost make it, but not quite. It's really a pretty simple concept, look at the form and move with it, not difficult. I really find that I just don't enjoy a show when the bass drums are so lound I can't hear the winds, or when the drill writer but the tubas in front of the trumpets and nobody cleaned the balance so the melody could still be heard. If I can't if the form is a box, or a blob then the show isn't interesting regardless of the concept behind it, and if I can't hear anything of than the bassline then the music is just obnoxious to listen to regardless of what the director intended when programming the show. I'm all for someone doing something different, or daring, but if it just looks and sounds like a mess then I walk away thinking they need to make some staff changes instead of thinking WOW THAT WAS AWESOME! The design of the show is very important, and yes it needs to be interesting, but I think the "in the can" shows can be just as interesting as a custom Key Poulan show with Todd Ryan's drill just so long as the band sells the show.
Saugus High School Marching Band
2000-2004

saugusbandgeek
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by saugusbandgeek » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:32 pm

I prefer a clean show. I just can't understand it when a band goes out and marches and the forms almost make it, but not quite. It's really a pretty simple concept, look at the form and move with it, not difficult. I really find that I just don't enjoy a show when the bass drums are so lound I can't hear the winds, or when the drill writer but the tubas in front of the trumpets and nobody cleaned the balance so the melody could still be heard. If I can't if the form is a box, or a blob then the show isn't interesting regardless of the concept behind it, and if I can't hear anything of than the bassline then the music is just obnoxious to listen to regardless of what the director intended when programming the show. I'm all for someone doing something different, or daring, but if it just looks and sounds like a mess then I walk away thinking they need to make some staff changes instead of thinking WOW THAT WAS AWESOME! The design of the show is very important, and yes it needs to be interesting, but I think the "in the can" shows can be just as interesting as a custom Key Poulan show with Todd Ryan's drill just so long as the band sells the show.
Saugus High School Marching Band
2000-2004