Life after Denver - The Tour of Champions!!!!

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Life after Denver - The Tour of Champions!!!!

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:09 am

DCI has officially announced that the week following the 2004 World Championships in Denver, 6 former & current champions will take a tour of California.

Read it here.
http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_i ... 7d1a9fd7e4

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

wow.

Post by clusknay » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:19 am

That's huge...

Good to see that for the past few years, at least one of the heavy groups from either the midwest, or east has come out for a west coast tour...now everyone's comin out. Awesome.

Now the burning question...

Pay the money to fly out to DCI, get a hotel...and car for the week or so...not to mension, spend the 75 bucks for tickets...

Or...wait for DCI to come to Cali the next week???

Wonder where they will hold the shows...

I really hope that they have one of them at SJSU, or at UOP in Stockton...

altohack
Section Leader
Section Leader

coming out to cali

Post by altohack » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:34 am

SWEET!
No regrets

caifbandfan
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by caifbandfan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:08 pm

How good will the shows be after the competions are over, and there is already is a champ crowned?

Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:16 pm

I doubt they will have too much intensity or emotion. In the years I marched, I was more than ready to go home after the final retreat. I would have hated having to do extra shows, especially in all of those second place years!

ACE-Driving
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ACE-Driving » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:31 am

Eh, who cares? Some corps continue to perform even after the season ends (e.g. Blue Devils going to Japan this year, Europe next year). I'm still excited that they're doing this.

I'm already saving up my well-earned minimum wage to get some tickets in January. :wink:
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Okay.

Post by clusknay » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:01 am

True. BUT...this is the first time that 6 of the potential top 12 are going to be on the west coast at the same time.

And the Blue Devils didn't pick thier entire corps up and travel to Japan...It was a selected few. And...I don't believe they performed their championship show either...although I might be wrong.

Sure, They might be going places other than the west coast, but still, it is relatively exciting for all of the west coasters who haven't been to DCI, or had the chance to see some of the other corps (although all of them have been out here at one time or another since 97).

Does leave some room for excitement. Not sure many are sharing your "who cares" vibe. Those fans at least...marching members...yeah sure, they are probably like...whatever, i see those guys all summer.

Also,I believe they actually have to sign a contract stating that they will complete the west coast tour before seperating from the corps, and returning to home life...

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:17 am

Despite this show being post-finals, if California wants to see the potential for a major regional, or world championship, DCI needs to witness that we have the masses to back it up. DCI will be watching this tour.

It is disappointing that we won't witness the heat of competition, but we will be able to see something that we never see in a west coast drum corps show.....the final product LIVE. Don't assume that the shows will be down from championships. Each performer is going to strive in getting you out of your seat by the end.

lukeTMRtrumpet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lukeTMRtrumpet » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:48 pm

Yeh the tour of champions is gonna be awesome but ijm still kind of wondering if the people in the cores are gonna try as hard as they did during championships, they put everything they have into championships soo it might just be a good show not a great one, but im really excited to be seeing all these cores like phantom,cavies,cadets,and scouts!!!! its gonna be a good summer!

Lucas
TMR trumpet section leader

TMR Quint Kid
Veteran
Veteran

fortune cookie says: lucas will one day learn to spell

Post by TMR Quint Kid » Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:18 pm

i'm so excited, i so wanted to see the cav's and phantom live this year, but i've been too busy to go to champs durin summer! Now i can finally see them with a few of my favorite more local drum corps, I CANT WAIT! w00t w00t! haha

:D :P :!: 8-) :shock: :D

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bass2tubagod » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:17 am

I'll be honest that I'd rather not do this TOC after finals because finals is enough for me. However I think this is great that the west coast crowd finally gets to see peak performances from these great corps. So despite my personal preference I think it will be very good for DCI this is the first step in moving finals out to California in a few years. As for the performances not being as good I disagree with some previous posters. While I believe that they won't be better than finals because of an emotional let down I do think that any of these respectable drum corps will have the respect to push harder and harder to the end even if that is a week after finals. And think about the age- outs; there's no way that they're going to let there group "give up" for their last drum corps week ever.
I'm still Red, but blue thoughts are clouding my mind. Those who know drum corps know what I'm talking about.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Final show of the TOC...

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:27 pm

...looks like August 14th, 2004 at Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto. This is according to BD's news digest that they send by email.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Final show of the TOC...

Post by Wildabeast » Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:33 pm

Wildabeast wrote:...looks like August 14th, 2004 at Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto. This is according to BD's news digest that they send by email.

...and according to SCV's website, the theatre presentation of the TOC takes place Friday, August 13th at the Flint Center in Cupertino.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

wow.

Post by clusknay » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:09 pm

That will be one heck of a show...wonder when tickets go on sale, as i'm sure they will be scarce...
-Dawg

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:06 am

Wow, interesting what you come across on the internet and what connections you have for answers.

Stanford will NOT be the final site of the Tour of Champions (Cupertino stage show still a go, so far). San Jose State's Spartan Stadium and Candlestick Park are being looked at.