Drum Major Gloves

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Drum Major Gloves

Post by ZJH » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:18 pm

For purposes of a parade routine, tosses shouldn't be looked at because you're trying to emulate military protocol. So if he absolutely has to look at it, there's a sort of cheat that DMs use. Start with your head angle slightly up, with your eyes above the horizon. Then if you toss, you can just shift your eyes instead of moving your head. Then again, with the brim of the headgear, that would be hard.

He could always just practice his routine until he doesn't have to look at the mace anymore. lol
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

bigcity
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bigcity » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:51 pm

In regards to the toss question, I would only advise that if he can not do the toss with out looking, then don't do it. For me personally, I find it quite annoying every time I see a DM that tries to show off and put in a huge toss, but has to look at it. It breaks down that military presence that is trying to be emulated. The poster before is correct in stating that. Knowing some judges, looking at a toss is a HUGE "burr in the saddle" if you will. They can't stand it. From a routine construction point of view, a toss is a nice element, however, rarely is a review held in a dome. Meaning, that there will be wind, and what the wind does to the mace or military is a toss up. Why put your routine to chance? It is the whole risk/reward question. For my students, if they can not toss "doubles" with out looking for 5 straight times, then I take the toss out of the routine. There is nothing more impressive than a DM that can execute a routine without a single head movement before the salute.

As for the shako/beret, I would lean against the beret. Again, from a judging point of view, tricks above the head are much more difficult with a shako than a beret. In addition, the shako presents a more authoritative presence than a beret.

Again, just my two cents....

BigCity

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am

Regarding the shako issue as bigcity pointed out, it does add to the Execution score. The exposure to error and degree of difficulty rises if using a shako. I used to do palm spins with a bearskin on, so I'm sure your friend can do some overhead stuff as well with the headgear Riordan wears.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

crickett
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crickett » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:06 pm

From a showmanship standpoint the beret doesn't offer as much as the shako. Especially if the rest of the band is in shako's. Remember the DM's first responsibility is to the band. They are a part of the showmanship score up here. And yes, a good DM routine adds to the score but so does the look. Just my to cents again. :)

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:50 pm

thank you all for your advice and your two cents :D
they're all so helpful.
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor