SCSBOA Championship Predictions

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

JDSDR

SCSBOA Championship Predictions

Post by JDSDR » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 am

What are your predictions for this years SCSBOA championships? Mine are...
1A is Gold- Highland, Silver- Taft Charter, Bronze- Cabrillo

2A is Gold- San Pedro, Silver- Gabrielino, Bronze- Canyon

3A is Gold- Aliso Niguel, Silver- Valencia, Bronze- Bellflower

4A is Gold- Warren, Silver- South Hills, Bronze- Hart.

5A is Gold- Chino Hills, Silver- Thousand Oaks, Bronze- West Ranch.

6A is Gold- Arcadia. Silver- Chino, Bronze- Rancho Bernardo

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: SCSBOA Championship Predictions

Post by peapod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:34 am

<stupid question deleted due to mistake reading the grid before the final lineup, giving the wrong impression about whether El Dorado was competing at SCSBOA>
Last edited by peapod on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MrPreslerMusic

Post by MrPreslerMusic » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm

But El Dorado is 9th rank on the grid. Are they not performing after all?
Robert K. Presler, Jr.
Yucaipa High School Band and Choir
MrPreslerMusic@aol.com

MarchingSundevilHawk

Post by MarchingSundevilHawk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am

El Dorado performs at 6:33pm
Attachments
6A-Championships-Performance-Times-2017.pdf
(32.67 KiB) Downloaded 423 times

MarchingSundevilHawk

Post by MarchingSundevilHawk » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 am

6A
Gold Mt. Carmel, Silver Rancho Bernardo, Bronze Arcadia

pnut
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pnut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:25 pm

peapod wrote:I'm going to beat this dying horse again: why isn't El Dorado competing in the SCSBOA field championships?
You've have been given false information.
Eric Samson
El Dorado HS

pnut
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pnut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:26 pm

MrPreslerMusic wrote:But El Dorado is 9th rank on the grid. Are they not performing after all?
Yes, they are performing.
Eric Samson
El Dorado HS

pnut
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by pnut » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:27 pm

MarchingSundevilHawk wrote:El Dorado performs at 6:33pm
Thank you, Marching Sundevil Hawk, for providing this information to clear up any misconceptions regarding El Dorado.
Eric Samson
El Dorado HS

saxlegendinprogress

Post by saxlegendinprogress » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:44 pm

I believe the top three for 6A will be :

Gold - Mt. Carmel
Silver - Arcadia
Bronze - Chino

They are all very close but Mt. Carmel has previously edged out both bands this season. Their visual captions are very strong. Arcadia has powerful music and marching this year. Chino is weaker than last year in visuals but puts up amazing music too. However, depends on the order of performance and how good of a show they put up this Saturday. Good luck to all bands competing!

bandfan10

Post by bandfan10 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:29 am

I only watch 6A so here are my predictions:
Chino's due! I think they will have thier best performance of the season and steal Gold! Arcadia and Mt. Carmel for Silver and Bronze!
1. CHINO
2. MT. CARMEL
3. ARCADIA

Manny

Post by Manny » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:48 am

Congratulation to Mt Carmel for their 3rd straight gold medal. Clearly they figured out the marching formula to woo the Adjudicators. As a spectator, I don't see it. I feel Mt Carmel's show for the 2nd straight year is not that entertaining. Obviously I'm not an SCSBOA judge but if entertainment value was a judging category; Rancho Bernardo, Chino, Etiwanda and Arcadia would rack up that score. With the insanely high scores given out last night maybe Mt. Carmel should try the WBA or BOA circuits. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers. I understand that the kids work extremely hard. This is nothing toward the kids. This is just my observation as a spectator.
Last edited by Manny on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarchingSundevilHawk

Post by MarchingSundevilHawk » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:53 am

Manny:

My original prediction placed RB 1st, MC 2nd, Arcadia 3rd. After watching both MC and RB for the 3rd time, I changed my prediction to MC 1st, RB 2nd, Arcadia 3rd.

From a WOW factor, I thought RB had the best show. But in my own personal analysis of the top shows, MC was just the cleanest all around taking into consideration how "tight" musically and marching they were. The one chance I did get to see Arcadia, they were fantastic - but a band that large would be difficult to be as clean as a 180 piece band.

Mount Carmel did have a chance to compete against Ayala in 2015. Head to Head, Ayala beat them by almost 3 points, which is a huge margin. This was at an SCSBOA Show at Mira Mesa. I think MC is good, they just don't do everything what I believe WBA and BOA would value in terms of judging.
MarchingSundevilHawk wrote:Predictions
2A: Looking to medal for the first time is University City. I personally haven't seen any other 2A Bands, but I'm rooting for them. I predict that they'll medal this year.

3A: I got a chance to see Aliso Niguel at Poway High. Wow! From that experience alone, I predict that they'll be amongst the medalists.

4A: My oldest kids band competed in this division for the past 4 years at champs until this year when they moved to a larger division. Hart is ALWAYS the one to beat. When we saw them 2013-2016, Hart won every time. That tiny band is amazing. Warren is also very strong every year.

5A: I can't wait to see Chino Hills. I was very surprised to hear that they were doing SCSBOA Champs this year instead of WBA. It's an interesting shakeup. There are a couple big groups that moved down from 6A in Thousand Oaks an Roland. Del Norte and and West Ranch have moved up from 4A. From the scoring, it seems that Chino Hills and Valencia will be top competitors, with the 5A other regulars also doing well (Vista and Westview).

6A: Going to the San Diego comps, I'm able to see many of the great 6A Bands. Chino competed at Poway this year and Arcadia always competes at Mt. Carmel. Back in the Medal mix is Rancho Bernardo. RB has some very Bluecoats moments in their show this year and is extremely high in GE. In an upset, I see RB taking the top spot. My Alma Mater, Mt. Carmel may have something to say about that. They are pretty dang clean in Music and Marching - will the judges value that or the wow factor of RBs show? Arcadias 2 drumlines on the field at the same time is a site to behold The arrangement of firebird is very drum corps-like and the volume - that's an in your face marching band.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:35 pm

MarchingSundevilHawk wrote:Mount Carmel did have a chance to compete against Ayala in 2015. Head to Head, Ayala beat them by almost 3 points, which is a huge margin. This was at an SCSBOA Show at Mira Mesa. I think MC is good, they just don't do everything what I believe WBA and BOA would value in terms of judging.
SCSBOA sets the accomplishment bar very, very low in visual performance. Cleanliness is prioritized, and Mt. Carmel always scores well because they march an incredibly easy visual program that they get very clean.

In WBA or BOA, Mt. Carmel would hold their own musically but get demolished on visual sheets that give a lot more credit for demand and difficulty.

Manny

Post by Manny » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:47 pm

6A SCSBOA 2017 Scores:

Mt. Carmel: 95.45
Rancho Bernardo: 95.05
Chino HS: 93.40
Arcadia: 93.35
Etiwanda: 92.70
Mira Mesa: 90.75
Rancho Buena V: 88.75
Savanna: 87.60
Los Osos: 85.20
El Dorado: 84.05
Riverside King: 83.80
Cypress: 78.70

Percussion SS: Etiwanda: 94.50
Auxiliary SS: Arcadia: 94.00
Last edited by Manny on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:29 pm

pnut wrote:
peapod wrote:I'm going to beat this dying horse again: why isn't El Dorado competing in the SCSBOA field championships?
You've have been given false information.

I stand corrected. Once I discovered I was wrong (would have been helpful to check the grid more carefully), I figured I'd get a well-deserved smackdown and no one else would take it seriously after that.

El Dorado, I apologize for not checking more carefully, then neglecting to edit/delete once I realized I was mistaken. Very embarrassed.

:sorry: :frustrated:

By the way, I really enjoyed your performance last night at SCSBOA/Arcadia.