SCSBOA Championship Line up predictions?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

JDSDR

SCSBOA Championship Line up predictions?

Post by JDSDR » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Let me hear your predictions on what bands you think will make it to SCSBOA championships this year. Especially since 4A has over 30 bands this year!

JDSDR

Re: SCSBOA Championship Line up predictions?

Post by JDSDR » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Here are mine for 4A
4A
William S. Hart
South Hills
Warren
Nogales
San Marino
Santa Monica
Los Alamitos
Alta Loma
Murrieta Valley
Rancho Cucamonga
Carlsbad
Moorpark

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:31 pm

Haven't seen nearly enough of these groups to have any firm opinion. 4A has some great groups in it, and quite a few. For the first time in some time the 1A division isn't the one with the most groups on the grid.

I think many of the 4A groups already mentioned are great, I'd throw Mira Costa into the mix. They always seem to move really well and have some cool usage of their props this year.

In 2A: Canyon has a neat show with their Voodoo theme this year. They might be in medal contention this year depending on how things develop. San Pedro is obviously going to be strong, they killed 1A last year and their staff knows how to get things done. Gabrielino is back doing SCSBOA and for a few years they were a perennial in 1A champs. I'd love to see Littlerock make champs seeded higher than they did in the past since they are from my area and I'd like to see more of our groups making champs and doing well. Haven't seen many of the others, especially the ones with the higher scores at the moment so I don't know much past that. Oh, Dos Pueblos show is cool. They are doing a James Bond show that works pretty well. Flows nicely, lots of variety etc. Was more Cavies doing Bond than your average high school band doing 3 bond themes sort of show.

3A: I think this division will see mostly the same names we've seen in the past making the cut, not much has changed in this one.

5 and 6A I have no idea. Where I live and go to shows I rarely see any groups of this size.

1A: Many of the same names as usual showing up in this division. Cabrillo and Highland both medaled last year and are doing well, Birmingham has definitely kicked things up a notch or two this year. Whittier was at champs last year and also seems to be off to a great start. Santa Margarita, Lancaster, and Yucaipa have made the cut consistently for a while now. Newbury Park usually does well, but I don't think they've been on the grid before. Chaffey is in 1A now instead of 2A but they were high in 2A for awhile I believe so we'll see how they do with the division size change. For some groups going down in size is really tough, for others it doesn't make much difference. More of the San Diego area 1A's are on the grid this year, it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 am

I just saw Nogales last night. I think they should make it to SCSBOA finals.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:38 am

I think California HS should make the cut to SCSBOA finals in 5A.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:59 am

Valencia (Valencia) and Bellflower should make the cut for 3A.

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:01 pm

Santa Fe and La Mirada should make the cut for 2A.

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Given their history I'm guessing Valencia (from Valencia) will probably medal in 3A again and might take the top spot. I haven't seen them this year but they area usually a total package. Interesting drill, strong guard, strong music, etc etc. And the band tends to move very comfortably.

Manny

Post by Manny » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:52 am

To me, the 6a has become so predictable. Arcadia, Chino and Mt Carmel are always judge’s favorites year after year and they just go gaga as soon as they hit the field. Those 3 bands always get the best show time slots at every tournament and seems that the last band to play at each tournament always gets the highest score no matter what. The first 5 bands that play at SCSBOA championships don't even stand a chance on getting a good score IMO. The Judges forget about their performances by the time the last bands perform. So, those are my top 3 picks for 6A. 1st place Arcadia, 2nd Chino and 3rd place Mt Carmel, same old same old.

MarchingSundevilHawk

Post by MarchingSundevilHawk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Predictions
2A: Looking to medal for the first time is University City. I personally haven't seen any other 2A Bands, but I'm rooting for them. I predict that they'll medal this year.

3A: I got a chance to see Aliso Niguel at Poway High. Wow! From that experience alone, I predict that they'll be amongst the medalists.

4A: My oldest kids band competed in this division for the past 4 years at champs until this year when they moved to a larger division. Hart is ALWAYS the one to beat. When we saw them 2013-2016, Hart won every time. That tiny band is amazing. Warren is also very strong every year.

5A: I can't wait to see Chino Hills. I was very surprised to hear that they were doing SCSBOA Champs this year instead of WBA. It's an interesting shakeup. There are a couple big groups that moved down from 6A in Thousand Oaks an Roland. Del Norte and and West Ranch have moved up from 4A. From the scoring, it seems that Chino Hills and Valencia will be top competitors, with the 5A other regulars also doing well (Vista and Westview).

6A: Going to the San Diego comps, I'm able to see many of the great 6A Bands. Chino competed at Poway this year and Arcadia always competes at Mt. Carmel. Back in the Medal mix is Rancho Bernardo. RB has some very Bluecoats moments in their show this year and is extremely high in GE. In an upset, I see RB taking the top spot. My Alma Mater, Mt. Carmel may have something to say about that. They are pretty dang clean in Music and Marching - will the judges value that or the wow factor of RBs show? Arcadias 2 drumlines on the field at the same time is a site to behold The arrangement of firebird is very drum corps-like and the volume - that's an in your face marching band.

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:18 pm

Ok, I'll say it. You have to be at the right tournament at the right time. The final day of scores are so inflated it's sad. Not to take away for those that made champs. We need to keep it reasonable. Some scores are so high they should consider going to Grand Nationals and making finals. It's hilarious. Good job everyone, I know I'm not the only one that thinks like this. Here's a thought, your score only counts if you rank in the top 3 in your division at any tournament. It will really shake things up, but make it fair. Thanks.

peapod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by peapod » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 am

Never mind, tried to delete my long-winded post.

magicsax22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by magicsax22 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 pm

6yr.bandvet wrote:Here's a thought, your score only counts if you rank in the top 3 in your division at any tournament. It will really shake things up, but make it fair. Thanks.
I think the inherent problem with that is the way certain divisions are spread throughout California. Some shows have a huge number of bands from a certain division, while others have small ones. How do you account for those weeknight shows with only a couple bands in a division? Or that show where is is 15 1A bands, many of whom are traditionally finalists? It is an interesting thought, but I think it would cause more issues than it would be trying to improve.

6yr.bandvet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by 6yr.bandvet » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 am

I would really like to see a prelim/champ format in SCSBOA. You can use the scores (top 3 scores)to select the performance order for prelims, highest scores goes last. Then you can choose your top 10 (random top 5 bottom 5 for finals) for the evening. Prelims can have a cap of bands, I think 16-18 is a good number. I hate seeing good bands in the 13-16 spots miss out each year. We already have sites doing 2 champs per site. That's 24 bands per site. Just a thought. Just think, scores won't matter as much. More schools/student get to extend their season and hopes to make finals. I sure people out there can figure something out to make this possible.