Maytime Band Review

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

ag1486
New Recruit
New Recruit

Maytime

Post by ag1486 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:57 pm

So what happened to Maytime? Ive been away so long that I never knew it had stopped.

Im also quite shocked to see NP didn't win 99 on... This was Ron Wakefield's most important (stressfull) parade as far back as I can remember.
Auggie
Former SoCal Bando
Middle School (A band in green that does the Rose Parade)
High School (That band with the canon) (Do they still exist?)
Summer (Drum Major for a now defunct SBI Band)
College (Another band in Green .. but with drunks)

Rich
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Maytime

Post by Rich » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:44 pm

ag1486 wrote:So what happened to Maytime? Ive been away so long that I never knew it had stopped.

Im also quite shocked to see NP didn't win 99 on... This was Ron Wakefield's most important (stressfull) parade as far back as I can remember.
it sure was! but they didnt win becasue they didnt attend, 98 was the last year we did street after concert season.

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:41 pm

ag1486 wrote:So what happened to Maytime? Ive been away so long that I never knew it had stopped.
The last year was 2004. The organization which hosted the competition, a group of close friends, had dwindled down to one person, who said she was getting too old to do this anymore.

Also, the City Fathers of National City announced they were putting a median down the center of Highland Avenue. (Did they ever do this?)

Next to the All-Western Band Review, this was my second favorite. Let's hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Arcadia Tournament of Bands (former West Arcadia Band Review)!

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:11 am

LoyalTubist wrote:
The last year was 2004. The organization which hosted the competition, a group of close friends, had dwindled down to one person, who said she was getting too old to do this anymore. Helen Paradowski?

Also, the City Fathers of National City announced they were putting a median down the center of Highland Avenue. (Did they ever do this?)
I didn't see when I was in Cali back in September.

JuAnEeXXbOi06
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JuAnEeXXbOi06 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:34 am

i went thru National City a few times this summer and I didn't see the median or a construction crew, hmm. I didn't know about the founder's side though, I just remember being told it was being ended becausee of construction. Too bad it couldnt be moved elsewhere =[
"I want to be a supermodel because I deserve fame and fortune."

-Elyse Sewell, America's Next Top Model, Cycle 1

RCMusic
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Maytime Band Review

Post by RCMusic » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Does anyone know the scores from Maytime band review. 1999 and 2000?
Everyone has a little good in them....with some, it's just harder to find!

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:14 pm

I still remember there being some confusion when Benicia HS went to Maytime...

At first it was stated that North Park MS won small school sweeps, but Benicia won music sweeps. Then it was stated Benicia won both, and was in the program like that.

Not sure what is the truth there....

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:59 pm

JCYS wrote:I still remember there being some confusion when Benicia HS went to Maytime...

At first it was stated that North Park MS won small school sweeps, but Benicia won music sweeps. Then it was stated Benicia won both, and was in the program like that.

Not sure what is the truth there....
Benicia won small school and music sweeps, it was my freshman year!
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

JLGORMAN
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JLGORMAN » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:41 pm

I was reading this old thread and a major mistake came to mind on the list of winners. In 1972 or 1973 Anaheim HS Under Ross Davis won the Sweepstakes at Maytime. I had left for Washington DC and when I came out again to see Ross and Dana he gave me a now lost copy of the program from Colonist Bands win at Maytime. I remember that Anaheim had used Stars and Stripes Forever during the fall season I Ross and I had discussed him using another march for Maytime due to the Band not getting a High enough Music Score with that difficult a March. Ross choose March Grandioso by Seitz and won with that. I think that is the last major contest Ross won with Anaheim's Band due to the schools declining enrollment and talent pool. Really a great friend and Director. His Band should be on that list.
Deep in the Heart of Texas. Home of the III Mobile Armored Corps and the 1st Cavalry Division, serving America in Iraq