Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Best CA Bands of the 00's?

Post by airons0678 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:03 am

Ghoti76 wrote:
Jim Bunselmeier wrote: This list seems to be best field bands of these years.
Not necessarily. For example, Riverside King's strong suit was street, and Rancho Bernardo was consistently of top caliber on street. True, it does bring up questions about why bands like Mt. Carmel are not included, who was and is also consistently superb on both street and field.
Thank you for your help, everyone. As you all know, these lists are just for fun and a pretty good reference as to which bands were the ones to watch out for "back in the day."

As for Mt. Carmel, I agree. Remove Chino, and add Mt. Carmel (though this doesn't mean Chino was not a worthy competitor by any means!):

Revised list:

Mission Viejo*
James Logan
Riverside King
Ayala
Etiwanda*
Mt. Carmel*
Rancho Bernardo*
Upland
William S. Hart
Clovis West*

* = on my list of the "Best CA Bands of the 90's," as well

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:45 pm

airons0678 wrote:Thank you for your help, everyone. As you all know, these lists are just for fun and a pretty good reference as to which bands were the ones to watch out for "back in the day."

As for Mt. Carmel, I agree. Remove Chino, and add Mt. Carmel (though this doesn't mean Chino was not a worthy competitor by any means!):

Revised list:

Mission Viejo*
James Logan
Riverside King
Ayala
Etiwanda*
Mt. Carmel*
Rancho Bernardo*
Upland
William S. Hart
Clovis West*

I'm not sure about this move. Hart did not make it into the upper caliber until the last few years of the decade and Etiwanda stayed in the top group for only the first few years of the decade. Chino had only a couple slightly off years but was near the top for the whole decade. And King was never successful on the field for this decade. But I agree that Mt. Carmel deserves to be on this list.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

wjs05
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wjs05 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:03 am

airons0678 wrote:
Ghoti76 wrote:
Jim Bunselmeier wrote: This list seems to be best field bands of these years.
Not necessarily. For example, Riverside King's strong suit was street, and Rancho Bernardo was consistently of top caliber on street. True, it does bring up questions about why bands like Mt. Carmel are not included, who was and is also consistently superb on both street and field.
Thank you for your help, everyone. As you all know, these lists are just for fun and a pretty good reference as to which bands were the ones to watch out for "back in the day."

Revised list:

Mission Viejo*
James Logan
Riverside King
Ayala
Etiwanda*
Mt. Carmel*
Rancho Bernardo*
Upland
William S. Hart
Clovis West*

I would remove King and add Chino back on the list.

Heyoo85
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Heyoo85 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Is this the best street bands or field bands? Or a combination of the two?

Either way, I was in band in the 2000's in the SCSBOA circuit and from what I can recall, Rancho Bernardo was the band to beat on the street and field. I remember Etiwanda being a big deal on the field. Mt. Carmel was also a threat on the field and the street (but behind Rancho Bernardo). Arcadia was massive those years and they still put out a top parade band, only second to Rancho Bernardo (and sometimes coming out on top) Field wise, they had some solid shows (Adagio for Strings 04 - where they came off the field and blasted at the stands) but they were still developing into what they are now (great on the field). El Dorado was also fantastic on the street (Ancient and Honorable 09) and field (Chicago). Riverside King didn't really make it's mark until 2007 or so. I wouldn't say they were one of the best of the decade. If we are combining and in no particular order:

Rancho Bernardo
Arcadia
Mt. Carmel
El Dorado
Chino
Diamond Bar
"The happiest people don't always have the best of everything, they make the best of everything"