Best CA Bands of the 70's?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best CA Bands of the 70's?

Post by Bandmaster » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:41 pm

In the spirit of the other discussion about the best bands of a decade I put forth a list containing some of the best California bands on the field and parade. Vore could also comment on this decade.

Rumor has it
Loara H.S.
Los Altos H.S.
Poway H.S.
Live Oak H.S.
Antelope Valley H.S.
Colton H.S.
Clovis H.S.
Arcadia H.S.
Santa Monica H.S.
(best music score ever given out in 1979)
Independence H.S.
Grossmont H.S.

??? any more to be added ???
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Best CA Bands of the 70's?

Post by vore » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:09 pm

Bandmaster wrote:In the spirit of the other discussion about the best bands of a decade I put forth a list containing some of the best California bands on the field and parade. Vore could also comment on this decade.

Rumor has it
Loara H.S.
Los Altos H.S.
Poway H.S.
Live Oak H.S.
Antelope Valley H.S.
Colton H.S.
Clovis H.S.
Arcadia H.S.
Santa Monica H.S.
(best music score ever given out in 1979)
Independence H.S.
Grossmont H.S.

??? any more to be added ???
Grossmont H.S. was a major force in the 40's, 50's and 60's but not the 70's

Add Glendora and Orange Glen to the 70's
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

airons0678
Veteran
Veteran

Post by airons0678 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:22 pm

VERY cool. Thank you for sharing!

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:09 am

lets add a few from up north.

Merced H.S.
Armijo H.S.
Pleasanton H.S.
Del Oro H.S.
JF Kennedy H.S
Ukiah H.S.
Fairfield H.S.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

Fore!
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fore! » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:18 am

Western HS (Anaheim) scored a 499 in music at the Cupertino Band review sometime in the 1970's - lost music award to a band from Northern Cal (can't remember the school) that scored a perfect 500.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:54 am

Helix
Mt. Miguel
West (Torrance)

in the smaller school divisions you'd probably have to add

Castle Park
Magnolia (late 70's)

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Another band I overlooked from up north that was not a parade band but was an excellent program was Sunnyvale H.S. Unfortunately the school district consolidated their high schools and the program was terminated. The director, John Riggles, then went on to Kamehameha H.S. in Hawaii.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

mightyhorn
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mightyhorn » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:46 am

I remember Sunnyvale well, as they were one of the bands that made the trek to the band reviews in and around Thanksgiving. They did do both band review and field. When Mr. Riggle was there they excelled in both.

razoreyes45k

Post by razoreyes45k » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:06 pm

JCYS wrote:Helix
Mt. Miguel
West (Torrance)

in the smaller school divisions you'd probably have to add

Castle Park
Magnolia (late 70's)
Castle Park :yeah:

Yoda
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Yoda » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:30 am

To add a few more NorCal/Central Cal powerhouse parade bands (to those already mentioned)…

Atwater
Capuchino (San Bruno)
Chowchilla
Clayton Valley (Concord)
Concord
Dos Palos
San Mateo

These bands were consistent division leaders and sweepstakes winners during the mid-1970s. Parade competition was the emphasis back then. It’s nice to see a few of them still performing in band reviews today.

By the late 1970s, Merced, Armijo, Ukiah, and Fairfield continued to dominate the NorCal parade scene. Benicia and Golden Valley had not appeared yet.

I noticed Live Oak mentioned in one of the above lists. Is this the same Live Oak in Morgan Hill, Cal.? They were a very good parade band and exceptional field band, due to their director’s involvement in DCI at the time. They put out a big sound.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:08 pm

1980 All Western Band Review in Long Beach, Chowchilla HS, with about 500 kids in the school and about 75 kids in the band, had the 8th highest score out of the 70+ bands competing.

AAR90

Post by AAR90 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:54 am

Fore! wrote:Western HS (Anaheim) scored a 499 in music at the Cupertino Band review sometime in the 1970's - lost music award to a band from Northern Cal (can't remember the school) that scored a perfect 500.
1974... to Sunnyvale HS --which took 1st Place Class-A @ All Western the next month. "JR" never let us live with that score: "there's no way in h*** 'that music' was anywhere near 'perfect!'"
Bandmaster wrote:The director, John Riggles, then went on to Kamehameha H.S. in Hawaii.
Riggle (no "s"). "JR" left in 1978. The writing was on the wall (and his wife is Hawaiian) so when "KAM" came calling w/$$$..... :wink: SHS finally closed in 1981 after 4+ years of the "slow bleed to death" by the district. JR & Lani are happily retired on Oahu.
razoreyes45k wrote:I noticed Live Oak mentioned in one of the above lists. Is this the same Live Oak in Morgan Hill, Cal.?
Correct. Unofficial SCV history talks about the "waves of membership" coming from SHS in early-mid 1970's and then Live Oak in mid-late 1970's. Back when drum corps were still "local" organizations.

AAR90
SHS '75

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Hmmmm....Pasadena not on anyone's list? Early 70's for sure with Kandy Schoenholz John Work and then Dave Wickham.

Foothiller

Post by Foothiller » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:15 pm

I agree with your list, and with the comment by "vore" that by the time the '70's rolled around Grossmont had dropped a few notches. But in the 40's with Lutz....in the 50's with Schwuchow, then starting in '58 with Jim Nichols thru the '60's....it was one of the top band's in S. Calif. In my 4 years of '62-'66 we never won Long Beach or marched in the Rose Parade, but the experience changed my life and the memories are priceless. Thanks for a great site.

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:53 am

I'm surprised Vista, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, and Fountain Valley, didn't make the list. I was told they were also some strong bands from back then... At least the latter part.
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.